There are some of the opinion that resorts are managed just so. It snows early, no problem, just don't open. There are no customers for a nighter, no problem, just keep on running the lights as usual.

Others have their doubts.

So how about a thread where we consider some of the options for improving the management of resorts?

I saw an item on last night's news where a delegation from Shiga Kogen went to Tokyo and held a modest-looking but no doubt hideously expensive event to promote the area. They gave a talento a stuffed white object, and had a nice little presentation on what looked like a good ole slide projector. Matsuda Seiko's ex-husband was wheeled out to say how much he likes skiing in Shiga. It looked pretty lame to me.

I would have thought something using mass media (internet, mobile phones, magazines) might have been better targeted and generally more persistent.

Can anyone suggest any ways to improve the methods used by resorts to get customers and cash in on their assets? Those who can't, feel free to post the usual 'I know better but can't quite articulate why' sneers.

IDEA 1:

Okay first of all who are your target users and where are you best to find the majority of them?

Target users: Boarders and skiers.

Where to find: Jinbocho, Echigo-Yuzawa station, Matumoto IC.

Ask the questions. What is they want, why do they want it, how much would they pay for it etc.

A simple market survey might make a great deal of difference. Instead of trying to ram down out throats all it is that they have give us somehitng that we want. Whatever this may be.

IDEA 2:

Put on more big air, mogul, boarder/skier cross crowd puller events. Sure this may not appeal to all who participate in the sport, but they are crowd and media pulling events that the inital outly to run will certianly pay off in the free inadvertent advertising by the press and the mouth to mouth by the attendants.

The Tokyo Dome Toyota sponsored boarder big air is costing around 9,000 yen per ticket!!! If you do the math you coudl hold it cheaper at a resort and probably gain better base margain.

IDEA 3:

Family events at the resort. Bring the family along for a BBQ and we will look after the kids in a snow park for the afternoon or somehitng similar.

IDEA 4:

Get the major industry players to hold demos days at your resort. Draws the crowds, creates sales for the makers and you.

These are just a few of ideas that I think would really make a difference at some of the bigger resrts whom might be starving for clientel.

They don't even need to get into that scary high-tech direct/permission marketing. Resorts could give you a card made of good old dependable cardboard and give you a stamp every time you buy a ticket. Ten stamps and you get one day free or whatever. I think Ocean has a point in that resorts seem to have little interest in exploiting simple, cheap to implement/manage, marketing and information gathering techniques aimed at building a relationship with customers.

I suspect many resorts are missing out on providing what their customers want because they are not asking them their opinions. It's kind of a fundamental that you should provide customers with what they want and need instead of assuming you know what's best for them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Davo:
It's kind of a fundamental that you should provide customers with what they want and need instead of assuming you know what's best for them.
In my industry the assuming you know what's best for the customer attitude is unfortunately the norm medium here in Japan. My experience tells me though that this is not just the case in this industry.

Mogski - I think you have hit on the essence of the problem. The ski industry in many cases (not all) probably is reflecting the "Way things are done in Japan" approach. It worked in the past, of course it will work now. And in the often observed gerotocratic protocol of doing business here, exciting viable changes proposed by the lowly often get the short-shrift. So changing a social condition is not easily done. But things can happen and the above suggestions of others are a start eg. whistler type schedule. And a crucial element (as mentioned) is "Who are the targeted consumers?" Currently many resorts are over focussing on the teen/young set who have limited disposable incomes. Yeh I know they are the riders of the future - but Toyota doesn't just make Corollas. Why neglect your "previously young clients". For example, Families needs are so apart from those of the lone, mile-wide grinner, hoovering down; re. real kids care, real kids schools, real non-smoking areas, real family discounts etc. etc. "Snow lovers for Life" should be the industry's goal. Real research & marketing by progressive professionals is the 1st basic step. Who's gonna tell the majority of the industry's players? Lunch over. Gotta go. \:\)

I mentioned email before. I once filled in an online questionnaire for Ryuo and gave them my email address. I've heard nothing from them since.

Given that my decision to visit a resort is based on hard info about conditions, pricing, and new things, I'dve thought a resort would want to bombard me with it. I wouldn't mind that in season. But they don't. If a resort sent me email in anticipation of a big dump midweek, I might well go. Or if they reduced the price for a few days because the snow was crap, I might well go. But I'm not going to phone around for this info. If I actually had a mobile phone, I'd make an even better target.

Nor do they have easy to navigate info on their webpages, with lots of real pictures to tempt you. I looked at the website for Winghills the other day and couldn't even find a link that told me how to get there, even though it looked pleasant enough.

I also mentioned big signs up saying what you're not supposed to do. I read (from Fattwins) that Cortina is targeting families so they don't want powder oafs having fun in their fantastic trees. If they are targeting families, they're not making that particularly clear when you pull up at the resort. Seeing that their trees still have lots of tracks going through them, it looks as though their targeting has failed, unless it's dad and the kids in there tracking it out. Why not put up a sign saying 'Cortina welcomes families and well behaved young people, but not powder oafs!' Then their patrol could lighten up and go about protecting the kiddies from avalanches.

Just a thought...

Judging from Mogski's 1,000 line post, he has nothing to do at work.

May I suggest that this is unexpected and bizarre? Of course my temporary relocation to Walled Lake, Michigan may have some incicental effect on the number of hours of Mogski drunkenness, but apart from that I think the problem is clear for all to see:

Mogski has elected to spend more time fretting about skiing and ski gear, than he as to fretting about women and his own personal sexual gratification.

I am in a position to remind the board that Mogski is quite comfortable with normal carnal relations. He does not need the deluxe French treatment etc.

As for yours truly, I am accepting orders from any and all aggressive or dominant women out there.

Thanks for your patience, and good luck from me and my antique rubber and plastic diving bell.

Ocean Im so happy you remembered. Yes they are targeting (cortina) familes now. 2 years ago they had 3 massive jumps in a row, rails and a members program for sking the trees. There has been no real news as to why they stopped the program, other than they are tring to get families. I would hope they figure out that by opening those trees it wont effect families at all.

Now to answer the question of resorts. First you need to figure out what customers you want. Arai blew it on this and has now closed 1/3 of its hotel spa. They advertise as a powder resort but that hotel costs a fortune. Powder pigs cant afford it. My friend who nows a manger there and they thought bigwigs would go there like it was a heli resort spending huge cash. I know lots of people there in the parking lot sleeping. To fill that hotel you need couples families people that need and want easier courses. I would not take my kids there where would you ski one run over and over.

I cannot see Arai making it in its present from. I would make half that hotel into cheap rooms for the powder hounds and cheapen the food.

If a resort wants to make it now a days they need to make the new trends. 47 was good for allowing mountain biking but I thought by now they would have opened up those trees.

I want to see resorts start pushing their boundries. Do what Niseko did last year and open some harder terrain. Hire the right staff with the knowledge to do so.

If you want college kids give them what they want a fun time with their friends that they can afford.

If you want families who spend money offer a safe place for the young kids with a reasonable price. Kids and moms are usally the deciding factor on where to go.

Singles who rock the mountain. They dont spend much but they make up a huge chunk of the clients. They want new stuff ie terrain, jumps half and Q pipes the good ones not hand carved.

Events put events on, that are near where you sell food, and keep the line ups down.

Resorts have to think like resorts be proactive. Dont be afraid to fail a little bit.

My prefect resort would be 47 and happo joining to form a huge resort (connecting via the ridge). I would call it the "extreme ridge". The ridge would have 2 lifts maybe 3 "wouldnt you ride there"?

Ocean I love trees and hard courses but, one thing that makes Japan a pow place, is that no one skis there because its closed. When they do open it up, the pow wont last as long.

If you fill out something you deserve a response.

I once overheard a ski instructor in the 47 gondola tell his student that there had been plans back in the golden days to link 47 and Happo.

In addition to the DBD, the big freestyle snowboarding comp SlopeStyle was held at Cortina two years ago. Loads of pros came over. I didn't go (been kicking myself since) but I've seen loads of pics from it in mags. You can't exactly miss that hotel. It also appears in the Forum vid True Life. Massive free publicity with all the kewl kidz. Hard to imagine them doing anything like that now.

There are only about 10 places to ride in Washington State. The land area of Washington State is roughly equal to half that of Honshuu. None of these places are 'resorts.' Some have a nearby motel, but none have large hotels or any kind of amenities that you think of when you picture a ski resort. About half of these are 1.5-2 hours from the greater Seattle area (population of are around 1.5 million). The other half are that distance or less from another sizeable city (100,000 or more). Most offer night skiing, very popular to the person that drives up after work.

All of these ski areas are staying in business. I haven't seen financial figures, but I have seen long lift lines and over-crowded parking lots. Many have expanded operations in the last few years.

Many of the areas sell discounted seasons passes and especially weekday passes. My weekday only pass for the entire year to my mountain of choice cost only $200 (24000Y). If I ride 50 days that means it only cost me $4 (500Y) every time I go. Huge savings over the $45 (5400Y) it takes to buy a single day ticket. If I was a full time student I could buy a pass for $250 (30000Y) good 7 days a week at 3 different resorts.

So what is the difference here? Options are limited? Not as competitive? No real 'ski holidays' just going up for the day? Different attitude from the ski areas? Different attitude from the patrons?

A nice cheese shop both at the bottom and top of the slopes to get all those (influential and affluent) cheesefans out there. It's a winner! Have different cheeses from all over the world, and make every Tuesday "Cheese Day".

Other fun ideas include a Cheese Fancy Dress - who can look the best dressed us as a slab of smelly mature Cheddar. Now that's fun for all the family! Once the competition is over, everyone can nibble on their favorite nutritious cheese snack and make it even more fun!

It'll get the punters in for sure.