SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
snowdude

First snow on the mountains snow watch autumn 2014

Ok it is that time where we all start to get excited when the first snow of the new season is spotted so thought I would make a thread for it.

Amazingly enough I can see Fuji san today the first time in what seems like months.

And with the feeezing level next week going doing to or below the peak of Fuji any percipitation could well be snow up there.

So lets posting pics of the first snow on any mountains that are blessed with the white stuff!

The holy peaks hidden in the clouds, Wizz, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a good amount up there already! ;)

But wow, quite a while before we see anything round here.

Pretty sure I saw the Burton snowboard team doing their summer powder camp up on the towering peaks n chutes of Mt Granview

Interesting, Snowdude. I'd say I've seen Fuji from here in Tokyo more often this August than any previous August I can remember (caveat, I didn't always have a view of the mountain from my living room)

I think around 15-20th Sep is kind of average, but recent few years has been early with two years ago getting snow on the 9th.

If any thing fall from the sky later this week then Fuji is likely to get some snow.

Just noticed freezing level drops below 3500M this week so it should snow on Fuji on Thursday

Talking of snow as we had a rare sunny day where the mountains were also clearly visible I was surprised to see patches of snow still left over from last winter, it should be snow free from around end of July or early Aug until sometime in late September, but no there were patches of snow left up there.

That by the way is not a lie, or and exaggeration as true as I sit here I saw patches of snow up there.

So it is quite possible that those mountains could receive new snow before all of last years melted.

Never seen that before for those mountains. Maybe a combination of the crazy amounts of snow the mountains at that altitude received and the cool summer we had.

Yes all eyes open Friday and cameras on the ready.

OMG How exciting I will be checking first thing Friday morning for that white talc powder dusting on Fuji. :clap:

Well I have to say this is the earliest I've gone back to long sleeve dress shirts since I arrived in 2010. Wouldn't be surprising if some white fluffy action isn't happening somewhere.

I think they had snow in Wyoming a week or so ago. It's not that unusual. These areas have big mountains!

I'm not so concerned with first snowfalls, nice though that is to see, but this is the earliest end to summer in many a year :D

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.