I've been spending time lately trying on ski boots. The choices are narrowing down and the time is running out - any input is greatly appreciated.

Here's the dilemma:

After today's narrowing of the field I seem to be faced with choosing between:

Higher performance boots but not quite as good fit (Head FR9.5 Mens)

vs

Not as high perfomance boots but perfect fit (Head Edge 10.x Womens)

Details:

Head Edge 10 (or is that 10.5?) Women's boot. - fit's like a GLOVE. very very very snug. So far I haven't tried on a boot that fits so snug. Suits my current skiing ability, but I'm concerned there isn't enough room to grow much further and I'm about to embark on a month of daily skiing in Hokkaido. Not as high performance as the FR. Could I handle off-piste well with it as my skiing improves? The forward stance is slightly more upright than the FR and of course the boot itself is a tad less stiff.

Head FR9.5 - Men's only. I had thought this was the best fit, but that was before I tried the Edge where I found there's a definite difference (a bit more space) in the front and upper foot area and ankle. Width feels nice and snug. Of course after the liner heat fit it might be better but for now there are places that aren't as snug a fit as the Edge. There doesn't seem to be any women's version of this boot to be found anywhere in Japan. I assume that this boot, if I buy it will pad out a little and I might find even more movement, will extra padding like heel grips and something on the top/front of the liner help to the degree that a good fit needs? Hmmm....

For boot performance I would like to have the FR boot, but for best fit, the Edge definitely has the edge.

What to do?

A few other boots including Technica boots (which I would have liked for their alignment abilities) didn't suit my foot/lower leg shape. Foot space is either too wide or too narrow.

Tomorrow I'll try on some Dalbellos that I happened to see this evening in another shop. I've read these boots are great for alignment. I don't think they'll have ladies boots, still, maybe I'll luck out with the fit.

By the way, I'm using custom footbeds in the boots as i try them.

Advice?

sunrise, dont make the classic mistake of being that snug that every time you make a sudden move ur toes slam against the front of your boot, i have soooo many pairs of shoes that are "perfect" fit and if i run, i get sore toes!!

just a passing thought, good luck!

hey sunrise...

you said the comfy pair had a bit more room in the front and ankle...that most certainly will make it feel good, but I am not sure that is what you want...you definetly want the boot to hug your ankle tightly (in a comfy way, if that makes sense)...

just remember this: what feels good in the shop does not translate to the mountain! it is really hard to simulate the dynamics you go through on the mountain in a store...so beware...

my head boots (world cup) felt great in the store, but after a few rides I had to get some significant work done to fix the real pains (unfortunatly, not all of them \:\( )...

as for performance, it definetly can be frustrating if you are on a pair of skiis or boots that are below your level...

just my $.02

danz

Hey, danz,

Actually the pair I'd prefer for their better performance abilities (the FRs) are the ones with more space, the Edges (lower in the performance hierachy) are the ones that fit like the glove.

The better fit's probably the way to go. But will I be able to chase you guys down the pow slopes one day in those boots?!!

Hey, get both - yes, cheeky indeed!

I tried dozens of boots before settling on some midrange Technica boots, they were the only ones the seemed to accommodate my foot as comfortably as possible. But the clincher was the service,(Norway Haus, Breck' Colorado) the guy who fitted them was good he new his stuff and pulled out the insole cut some buffer material, added it the insole, tweaked the arch raise screw. I must have tried the boots on (that were a good fit to start with), a dozen times, on off on off on off. But by the end those boots were as close as possible to perfect. So I have boots which are comfy all day, but I must say the trade off was midrange boots which arent as stiff as they could be at times, esp when hitting some hard super g turns on bumpy snow. but thats the trade off I suppose.

so if the ski shop were you are going is any good and the guy selling you the boots is any good, he can possibly work with you on those higher range boots and tweak them for you, to create a better fit.

The ski shops I have seen in Japan didnt really impress me for the technical know how and expertise. How is the fitter who helped you your boots?

oh yah...

when you buy your boots, be sure to try and cut a deal with the boot guy to help you fix any problems you might encounter on the slope...if the boot guy is good, he should "guarantee" his work, and you can bring your boot in multiple times to get it tweaked...

I hate boot shopping...good luck

danz

I don't know too much about boots. However, I thought it is just a funny coincidence reading your choices, sunrise, because I bought two pairs last year: a pair of Heads and a pair of Edges.

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies...

Firstly, today's sojourn didn't bear fruit - I found a last years model of women's FR3 and tho this probably isn't anywhere near the level of a FR9 I decided to try it anyway, but it didn't fit so well. Then I tried on some Darbellos in another shop - the ultimate in alignment, but unfortunately didn't work for my foot/leg.

Personally, like many of you, I simply didn't trust to go to a non-recommended boot shop in Japan and let them totally fit me out so my only choice (as some people suggested in a previous thread, thanks guys) was to research as much as I could on the web first, on what kinds boots would probably be good for me, my level of skiing - that are lateral and adjustable, etc, etc... so at least I had a fair idea of what models to check out instead of being completely in the dark and trusting the Tokyo shop guys.

kamoshika, I really couldn't feel 100% confident that the boot guy would be capable of tweaking the FR boots for me, though it's a great idea and I might have a chat with him to gauge if his reaction is one of confidence. He seems to know his boots in terms of what type fits what feet, the boots' features and boot performance level, etc... but he certainly didn't jump up and down volunteering tweaking ideas for the FRs the other day, beyond a heel grip on one side which we tried out. Your guy in Colerado may have been able to do it, but I just don't know if the guys here have that kinda know-how. For sure there must be guys here that are capable - people who fit the racers, etc.... but I don't think those guys are going to be working in a ski shop in tokyo....

I wonder if I can get the boot guy to add some kind of reinforcement to the shell to the Edge to make it a little stiffer? Or maybe that's something to consider once I start feeling the Edge's limitations. Both boots have heatset liners, but I don't know if that will make the FR the kind of fit I want it to be..... hmmm, well, I'd better go ask a few questions tomorrow..... but it's very scary to think of hacking up a boot when you don't know for sure if it's really going to work!

Danz - my best chance at guaranteed work is to buy from ICI Tokyo as they have a shop in Sapporo where I can go to if I really need to, though it's a 4 hour round trip @4000 yen from where I'll be staying, so I might be better off going to a local guy on the snow and paying him that money instead.

In the liklihood that I won't meet up with an expert boot fitter I can trust before I leave Tokyo I think you guys are probably right and the snuggest fit around ankles and top of foot could be my best choice so, yes, that would mean a trade off on performance for better fit (or what seems to be better fit). I have to agree that there's nothing worse than a boot that doesn't fit properly. A problem that's always plagued me.

I'm sure the Edge boots are fine for my current skiing ability, but yes with a month on the snow I do plan to improve a fair bit, though maybe I'll have to compromise a little this season and go buy higher performance pair next season from some well recommended boot fitter overseas - where they sell GOOD women's boots that will fit me!

(BTW, Sam, I don't think I'll have your toe problem because the rest of the foot, including heel, is so well supported by the liner that the foot just doesn't have enough movement to do that, though I know I would have had that problem in the Dalbellos since my foot was forced a little in front of the footbed, toes embedded in the front of the liner!)

Quote:
Originally posted by danz:

just remember this: what feels good in the shop does not translate to the mountain! it is really hard to simulate the dynamics you go through on the mountain in a store...so beware...

I know, that's the very scary part..... confused.gif Just when you think you've finally sorted it all out... eek.gif

Hey, Snow Japan people - how about considering a small project on snuffling out the good boot fitters around the country and then having their info up on the site? I'm sure this would help a lot of people in the future.

Wow, this post got long. I hope it's not as confusing for you as it has been for me!

PS Markie - you're trying to confuse me aren't you - you said Heads and Edges, but Edges are by Head.... huh?

Sunrise...

Sorry I didn't return the private email earlier regarding my boot guy in Sapporo.... I just returned the other day from Holidays...

My guy works at Sapporo (Tanuki-Koji) ICI and is quite capable of doing almost anything you might need to fit a boot if you ask the right questions and give the right feedback... He is also quite good with Comformable Footbeds (Master Tech Statis I think Sidas calls it).. I have already mentioned you to them so they could be expecting you??

BTW... We bought Head Edge 9.5s for my wife who is a fast intermediate skier who likes the groom mainly... she skis faster than most women I have ever skiied with and she loves her Edge boots.. great fit, good absorbsion and drilex liner... heat-fit was a plus and I think that the 10.5s are Super Heat 3 ( new technology fitting ) The 10.5s are only a "little" bit stiffer than the 9.5s but I think that a womans liner is definately the way to go... She says that they are the best fitting liner/boot she has ever had....

I know that they have stock of 10.5s and 9.5s but I am not sure of size... they didn't have what my wife needed but got it in within 24 hrs...

Also I am sure that I can get you a better price that ICI in Tokyo... I just tried to fine the reciept but I am pretty sure that they retailed for 42,000 and we got the for about 34,000.... I am sure I can get you 15% off but who knows?? 15% should put the 10.5s around 42,000 right?

I will send a email to you privately through your website with my cell # in case you want me to introduce you to the people there when you get here...

Looks like the wife and I will be in Rusutsu on the 15th with about 10 or so of our friends - you can join us if you wish....

Let me know - my email is listed in my profile..

If you want, I have to go there tomorrow to pick up a goggle lens - if you tell me your size I can check stock of what they have... You are leaving when?? the 9th??? I'll help if I can...

Cheers,

ICI in Tanuki-koji! Very impressive shop for snow sports. Great variety of high quality stuff at reasonable prices. I can never get myself to leave once I step inside. Luckily my Japanese is not too good and neither is the English of their staff, otherwise they'd have no trouble selling me half the shop.

Little Secret Markie - psssst don't let your wallet know - there are 3 people on staff that speak Eigo quite respectibly.....

Like most though, they are too shy to volenteer it.. I have told them they should have a " Eigo OK " badge on their bibs... :p

Thanks for that bit of info, Higuma. Now I don't know whether I am overjoyed or worried. But I sure can't wait to go back there again.

BTW have a great time in Rusutsu, that shouldn't be hard!

Yay! saved in the 11th hour! Thank you for the words of good faith, Higuma! I left the boot shop last night feeling more confused than ever instead of leaving with any boots. I get to Hokkaido on Friday, by the way, so I'll head to Sapporo first thing Saturday for what sounds like it will be a much more fruitful boot fitting then I was able to find in Tokyo and yes, it will be cool to hook up in Rusutsu!

Whew, now I can breathe a little easier. Of course the real test is on the slopes, but at least I feel I now have more chance of a comfy ride... \:\)

Yes, well hopefully that:s the case. I was in Sapporo today and wound up with a pair of Rexxams (spelling)? It turned out to be the best of the bunch, none were perfect for me, and even though it:s a man's boot it seems to fit the best. The Head boots turned out to be just a little small, according to Higuma's guys and I now think they're right. The Technica Rival is suprisingly wide - too much movement compared with all the others. I even tried on the Technica Icons at one point, but they were too narrow! I've forgotten the model number but the Rexxam is supposedly a high performance model, so I should havne something to grow into. Unfortunately no heat fit liner, so I'll ski on them for several days and see if they need adjustments. The new foot bed is a great improvement over my old one as it has a much higher arch and feels very comfy, so let's see how it all goes.