A discussion in another thread that was perhaps potentially derailing it.

What do you classify as a 'resort'?

Any skijo? Not just the mega-resorts like Mt Granview, but smaller tiny places like Niseko?

A mountain town with lifts that offers accommodation, restaurants, retail & recreation for visiting holidaymakers for longer than 2 nights.

Grand Hirafu is a ski resort.

Sapporo Kokusai is a ski hill.

IMHO :)

:lol:

Hmm.....Kagura I wouldn't consider a resort, a ski hill for sure. It has no urban infrastructure but as part of Mt Naeba, I would, due to Naeba having a village.

When considering a winter resort, I agree with Mike that it should have accommodation, retail and other entertainment options to consider itself a "resort"

•  

ski resort
    Web definitions

• a resort with lodging and facilities for skiing

Resort

noun

• a place that is frequented for holidays or recreation or for a particular purpose.

•  
    synonyms: holiday destination, holiday centre, tourist centre, centre, spot, retreat,haunt;

By these definitions, I think a ski resort requires: accomodation,snow, and people frequenting the location for the purpose of snow sports (lifts optional, and clothing - only if you are soft :party: )

Resort obviously will have different meanings to different people.

For me, a ski ``resort'' offers lodging, lifts, related shopping and a choice of restaurants & bars/clubs along with some other recreation for non-skiers.

YMMV.

But I don't need a resort, just a good hill w/lifts, a warm bed and some place to get a decent meal & a drink or two. I preferred Niseko before it attained ``resort'' status.

Don't know about resort, it's going to mean different things to different people.

In the other thread, Katsura was accused of not being a resort.

We'll, I would say it is.

Katsura. I like it!

Resort obviously will have different meanings to different people.

For me, a ski ``resort'' offers lodging, lifts, related shopping and a choice of restaurants & bars/clubs along with some other recreation for non-skiers.

YMMV.

But I don't need a resort, just a good hill w/lifts, a warm bed and some place to get a decent meal & a drink or two. I preferred Niseko before it attained ``resort'' status.

To be fair I prefer that too....yeah sure a bar or two to enjoy is great BUT I go on holidays to snowboard, I can drink at home, I hate issuing out the next day cos I'm hungover

Too me a ski resort is somewhere that offers skiing obviously accomodation food and general amenities required for a stop over or stay.

The size of the ski area makes no difference to the definition resort imho

Kagura is a resort, Its pure middle class skiier fascism to declare it otherwise. Sorry its missing a creche, but its got a restaurant, lifts, a combini, and a ride demo cabin so screw you hippies!

I don't know... Based on what people are describing a place like Seki Onsen, which is TINY, would be considered a resort. There has to be more to it than just accommodation and 'facilities'.

Btw, there is ski-in ski-out accommodation at Kagura! ;)

Kagura is a resort, Its pure middle class skiier fascism to declare it otherwise. Sorry its missing a creche, but its got a restaurant, lifts, a combini, and a ride demo cabin so screw you hippies!

:lol:

Naeba Prince Hotel. I was thinking it might be really posh. Oh how I was wrong. Like gg said, it's like it was caught up in some time warp. And it's just so massive and sprawling.

They don't charge low prices either.

Highly unrecommended.

I've been in the a Prince Hotel in Sapporo and at Oiso in Kanagawa and I found them to be the same......nothing flashy at all, dated decor, which would be ok if they weren't charging like it was a top hotel