Only have 2 days to ski, where would you go?

We will be in Tokyo on a layover arriving 1/29 at 5pm and leaving Tokyo on 2/2 at 7pm. The two of us wanted to spend a day or two in Tokyo and one or two days skiing. We would love to go to a resort or a couple resorts that have great snow, off piste or tree skiing if possible, some good groomed runs, and just a nice experience. If we stayed at the resort, we would want our own private unit. But with the amount of time we are out there for, would we be better just doing day trips from Tokyo? Also, from some of the further resorts, I believe we found flights from Tokyo to Saparro for $130, but may be cutting it close with only a day or two available to ski on this trip. Another couple things we want to take in consideration is the time of season we are going with the snow quality then, will all lifts/areas be open/how busy with the Chinese new year. We only speak English and may not feel real comfortable doing any back country with a language barrier, unfamiliar territory, etc. Also, I heard Hakuba has nice back country, but nothing in bounds. I don't know if I would participate in that since I am not bringing out my avalanche gear. I understand we won't get everything we want at one resort.

So with all of this info just getting off a 12 hour flight, what would you do? Which resorts would you go to and would you stay in Tokyo and do day trips or stay at the resort for a night or two?

Thanks for all your input.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I heard Hakuba has nice back country, but nothing in bounds

Amazing some of the things you 'hear'!

For convenience, the resorts in Yuzawa (Niigata) win. The main station is just 80 minutes or so from Tokyo Station on the Joetsu Shinkansen bullet train. And you have decent places to choose from.

Well, I live several hours from snowcountry so I usually do short trips like you and I try to get the best snow. I'd say give up on Northern Japan. Too far. Plan for Niigata or Nagano and don't choose a resort till a couple of days before as the snow doesn't fall equally, even within a narrow area. A shortlist could be Hakuba-area resorts, maybe Myoko, Nozawa and Yuzawa area resorts (esp. Naeba or Kagura). Maybe you can at least bring your transceiver and try to score a shovel over here because if you're at a place like Nozawa on a good day you'll regret not having equipment.

Two options, take the Shinkansen to Niigata, and stay there overnight. As to which resort, I would recommend having a read of some of the trip reports on this site. Depending on what you like in a resort there is bound to be one or two that suit. Or a flight to Sapporo, not much longer than the train, especially if you fly from Narita, and gets you a world of opportunities to explore. If you can get a flight on the evening of the 29th from Narita you could be skiing the next morning in Niseko.

2 Days and jet lag.....hmm..

Day trips from Tokyo....forget it, too far. I agree with Dumbstick...book a place in Yuzawa. Don't leave it too long because that is high season and you'll be surprised how busy it will be already with preseason bookings. Chinese new years isn't a factor and operations will be in fabulous full swing. Hakuba is doable but it's a bit of a journey and Niseko even more so, if you only have a few days. There will be plenty of fun to be had without venturing off piste in unfamiliar territory.

Thirded on Yuzawa. Kagura in particular. Go there, enjoy. Then spend the night sleeping in the onsen place just for the sake of SJ achievement progression list.

OH MY GOD!! THAT SHOULD BE A THREAD!!!

Day trip from Tokyo to Yuzawa is totally doable, Shinkansen......70-90 mins after leaving Tokyo, you are in snowy Yuzawa, another 20 mins by shuttle bus and u are at Kagura.......much easier, much quicker and cheaper than flying up to chitose and going to Niseko, Rusutsu or Furano!!

Also, I heard Hakuba has nice back country, but nothing in bounds

Amazing some of the things you 'hear'!

For convenience, the resorts in Yuzawa (Niigata) win. The main station is just 80 minutes or so from Tokyo Station on the Joetsu Shinkansen bullet train. And you have decent places to choose from.

Funny dumbstick. Meant I heard there was no off piste or tree skiing allowed on the resort. Is that true at Hakuba?

Kagura sounds great. My main concern is that I read the upper mountain/lift doesn't open until later Feb and we are going end of January/beginning of February. Will the resort be worth while then still finding challenging parts of the resort, tree skiing, etc or are we going to be in green run haven in a bunch at that time of the year?

If we were to day trip it from Tokyo, could you still get there first chair or shortly after or is that too difficult with the train/bus system with the timing? I assume if you did day trips, you would want to be based around Tokyo station? Is that still a good area to be in if you want to experience Tokyo?

I did day trips from an hour south of Tokyo, I could JUST make first lift if I pushed it but usually be on a couple of lifts after.

Although the lines off of the top forestry course are my favourite, there are plenty tree runs from the top of the quad to keep you more than happy IMO

I assume if you did day trips, you would want to be based around Tokyo station? Is that still a good area to be in if you want to experience Tokyo?

Where you base yourself in Tokyo depends a bit on what you want to see and do in Tokyo. The station is close to the Imperial Palace and many of the official buildings, along with some of the museums. There is a good subway system so getting to places a little further away is not a big issue. Getting to the station rom further out is also easy. Yes there will be lots of people, but it's doable to catch the first shink to the resorts. I live in Yokohama (hour south) but can get to Gala just after the lifts open. Just have to get up early.

+1 for Kagura

Note that Kagura is NOT a resort. It's just a bunch of lifts heading up the mountain, with a couple of small Japanese-style inns within walking distance of the base. You'd want to stay in Echigo Yuzawa or at Naeba (which has a long gondola link to Kagura). You're not going to find Breck!

Kagura sounds great. My main concern is that I read the upper mountain/lift doesn't open until later Feb and we are going end of January/beginning of February. Will the resort be worth while then still finding challenging parts of the resort, tree skiing, etc or are we going to be in green run haven in a bunch at that time of the year?

If we were to day trip it from Tokyo, could you still get there first chair or shortly after or is that too difficult with the train/bus system with the timing? I assume if you did day trips, you would want to be based around Tokyo station? Is that still a good area to be in if you want to experience Tokyo?

I think the only lift that might be closed is the romance lift. I would say Kagura is still the best option without it. You could also buy an all mountain pass in connection wih Naeba, but I think Kagura is good enough by itself. I'm not sure about bus situation from the station (I live close and drive), but I think the first train leaves Tokyo at 6:08 a.m and arrives at 7:24 a.m and costs 6,490 yen. This info is just from google maps and for tomorrow not the time you are here, but it probably is the same. I imagine there would be a bus connected with the first train, but I don't know.

+1 for Kagura

Note that Kagura is NOT a resort. It's just a bunch of lifts heading up the mountain, with a couple of small Japanese-style inns within walking distance of the base. You'd want to stay in Echigo Yuzawa or at Naeba (which has a long gondola link to Kagura). You're not going to find Breck!

If they book a Ryokan they could get breakfast and dinner if desired in Naeba or Yuzawa. and I know they have Echigo Beer at the liquor store in Naeba so that is a plus. Seriously good stuff.

I think the only lift that might be closed is the romance lift. I would say Kagura is still the best option without it. You could also buy an all mountain pass in connection wih Naeba, but I think Kagura is good enough by itself. I'm not sure about bus situation from the station (I live close and drive), but I think the first train leaves Tokyo at 6:08 a.m and arrives at 7:24 a.m and costs 6,490 yen. This info is just from google maps and for tomorrow not the time you are here, but it probably is the same. I imagine there would be a bus connected with the first train, but I don't know.

The forestry course, the very TOP lift will be closed....it only opens in March.

You can get a day return shink + lift ticket for about 11 or 12000¥.....this is by far the best value for going to Kagura. You can buy this ticket the day before at the JR View travel agent located in most large train stations, usually by the gate. I wouldn't go to GALA Yuzawa, especially if it's a weekend and the south area is closed....that is the ungroomed area. Kagura sounds exactly what u want....close links to Tokyo, great snow, large rideable terrain and a liberal off piste policy by the patrol. Plenty trees, plenty pow plenty fun....especially if it's a weekday!!

Tokyo is a lot easier to traverse than the map looks. Grab a hotel that's near to any stop on the yamanote line and u are laughing....it's the circular line of Tokyo, connecting most of the big touristy areas.