I thought this could be a new thread!

The search for furniture begins. Or at least some prelim looks.

Saw some beautiful solid wood black walnut dining tables yesterday. Expensive. But beautiful. Going to more mainstream places and looking at normal ones was.... disappointing.

Somehow I need to shed any thoughts of them I think, unless Black Mountain can convince me (do try!)

But seriously, any comments and recommendations for things like this based on experiences?

Cheers!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this could be a new thread!

The search for furniture begins. Or at least some prelim looks.

Saw some beautiful black walnut tables yesterday. Expensive. But beautiful. I need to shed any thoughts of them I think, unless Black Mountain can convince me (do try!)

But seriously, any comments and recommendations for things like this based on experiences?

Cheers!

:lol:

I think a decent dining table will last for life so buy a good one.

My Mum passed hers on to me and that was solid oak and now it has been passed on to my siisters kids.

I bought a solid Marri one which we will have for a long time before passing it on to our kids

I've said it before, but black walnut is gorgeous!

My missus is always onto me to buy a new dining table because we have a six seater and three kids of our own now. It leaves no space for anyone else.

The dining set we've got is a handmade high-quality one I got super cheap second hand and it will cost a fortune (30 man plus) to replace the table with a bigger one that won't feel cheap by comparison. I don't think I'd want to replace the chairs because I like them too much.

This table was 420,000 yen, Mr Wiggles! No doubt it might be possible to bring that down a bit if we showed a real interest.

1.9m long, but only really for 4 people as the thick legs at each side.

Thick, heavy....a real beauty!

Ohhh, to have more money..............

As there's only two of us and it will be extremely rare when we entertain more than two others for dinner, I think a space-y 4 seated will do us best. Six chairs would possibly never be used.

I think the only serious new furniture we bought right after moving in was a dining set. Other than that we mostly re-used what we already had, plus I made a couple of custom pieces for fun. Have since acquired some additional stuff as needs arose.

Alright, you've finally provided enough information and it's really a simple formula (some variables to manipulate are price, size, number of people who can use it, and magic numbers!) Here we go!

How many times are you going to use it over the next 20 years (20 years being a conservative shelf-life of a typical fancy table). I'd approximate about 7,280 uses (about 7 times a week).

So that's 420,000 / 7280 = 57.7¥ each time you use it. If that doesn't convince you then just divide that number by 4 (the cost per person) Now it's only 14.4¥ per person each time you use it. If that still seems expensive then you should include the size in your calculation as well. At 190cm the cost is only .3¥ per person, per use, per centimetre over the next 20 years. Now that is a real bargain!!! You pretty much can't afford to not buy it now!

20 years? I would say at least 50! With breakfasts!

I did say it was a conversative estimate! I'm sure it'd last a lot longer than that, but like most things, after looking at it for 20 years you'll probably want to trade it in and get a new one. ;) (So you can factor in the resale value to my original calculation as well!)

Thanks follks.... it's on, especially if I even stretch to lunches a few dayd a week!!!! :lol:

You mentioned before that there were "only two of us" - are you not planning any kids then? That'd throw the calcs out by a factor of, oh - say 20%. so your usage would include 3 meals a day while they are not at school, add the 3 for the missus and the number of used skyrockets. I'm not even going to try to guestimate the number of uses that would get to! (Leaving that to BM.)

20 years? I would say at least 50! With breakfasts!

... after looking at it for 20 years you'll probably want to trade it in and get a new one.

Don't you DARE tell the missus that! We've been together 19 years this April ... just one to go?

I bought a table in Ikea the other day. A garden table though, the rectangular one with the fold up leaves on both sides. The Joe Kinnear version of the name is Appledad. At 13000 yen, its actually cheaper than the UK where its 99 quid.

We took a look at their ordinary dining tables and the dark ones looked like they'd go shabby very quickly. You could see where the stain had worn away already on the display ones. The pine ones look fine if that look will work in your pad.

Muji do a very simple solid walnut table that I saw in the shop once. Apartment size though and a big come down if you've seen something high end and hand made.

As for pics, the dining set we've got is this one. I got it for 10 man delivered for the set on Yahoo Auctions. It's really solid and the chairs are super comfy, much more than many dining chairs with cushions.

c009.jpg

We've got a Japanese style house but if we'd built something more western, it would have been tempting to just jump on a plane to Bali and buy a container's worth of furniture there. You can get some really nice things at low prices.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Always a mistake to look at "nice" kit, DS.

Usually adds to the cost of things! - Mind you, the final result is usually brilliant! So ... it adds a couple thousand to the final cost, but a couple mill to the VALUE of the finished product!

You may regret the initial pain of the good kit, but the resale value will be much, much greater!

Go for it!

Furniture: IKEA, bet that escaped you.

And also, I heard that Chrs fella makes furniture bespoke. Maybe get him to do some wobbly legged chairs to your design.

Who me?? Wobbly legs? Bite your tongue Thursday... I can't guarantee anything will be square but damnhit ..... the legs will not wobble..!! ;)