• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what masterwal say about it

マスターウォールで扱っているウォールナットは、クルミ科9属60種類の中でも、銘木で名高い北米産の“ブラックウォールナット”です。そのブラックウォールナットの中でも、さらにアメリカ広葉樹協定が定めた品質の最高ランク(FASランク)のものを使用しています。

It's all the same as far as I know. Somebody will probably look it up and tell me I'm wrong. But, back in Canada at the lumber yard it's just walnut...some heartwood is darker than others but it's all mixed together.

You're wrong.

I didn't look anything up, you're just wrong. Deal with it.

:lies: Troll.....

Depends where you originate from I guess. We've only had and used (black) walnut because of coming from Canada. Tubby is pretty quick on the wiki draw there. :wave:

Regular walnut (think classic car dashboard) is more of an oak colour, so I think black walnut is a different species from North America. If anything, the luxurious grain is more visible with the regular stuff, but the black one is naturally dark without staining. fwiw walnut trees secrete some kind of nastiness from their roots that stops many plants growing near them.

Car Dashboard walnut is often "burl" (or burr) walnut - the result of thin slicing a big deformity on the trunk of the tree.

Claro_Walnut_Burl_8.jpg

Regular walnut (think classic car dashboard) is more of an oak colour, so I think black walnut is a different species from North America. If anything, the luxurious grain is more visible with the regular stuff, but the black one is naturally dark without staining. fwiw walnut trees secrete some kind of nastiness from their roots that stops many plants growing near them.

Car Dashboard walnut is often "burl" (or burr) walnut - the result of thin slicing a big deformity on the trunk of the tree.

Claro_Walnut_Burl_8.jpg

My car dash walnut is plastic. And it's a Lexus.

and is an image of the burl of walnut. Devilish clever these car makers - olden times car-makers used to use real wood!

No "walnut" - real OR fake - to be seen. Unless you count that shit coloured stuff near the gear-change.

No walnut in the dash, anyways!

All just shiny brown "shit colour" plastic, not even a good imitation of walnut, really! OR the image is crap, OR both?

I think both.

I think I'll change it for a man who feels like he needs to convince the world he's a man car. Something like an old battered landcruiser with big wheels.

If I'm reading this right Thursday....you want to exchange your Lexus for me. I'm flattered...really!.....

Real wood is ALWAYS lovely when treated properly.

It is only when people coat it in a 3mm thick layer of plastic (aka polyurethane) that I see "bleeerk" and walk away.

I am very, VERY, partial to a real wood article finished sensitively, and with the grain enhanced by the finish. NOT at all interested by a plastic imitation of wood (whether real or otherwise).