13 members have voted

1. 1. Hakuba or Niseko?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really recommend Yeti, even over Hakuba. But really Killington is where the hardcore types should head.

Get the wimmin to do the fetching....

Hakuba is the best.

Rusutsu is awesome.....for that place alone I reckon its worth it. Teine when I went was cruddy conditions, but it was the end of March so I could see it being awesome mid winter

Yeah I am with you DiGriz Hirafu rocks Rusutsu is overated I wouldn't waste my time or money.

Saying that Hakuba is still the best though as per the poll

• Like 1

One of the problems is that people seem to beleive that Hirafu is Niseko. Hirafu is only one of 3 main base areas at the Niseko ski mountain. If you stay in Hirafu much of the accommodation that you can easily find on the net is western style, relatively luxurious accommodation. Quite different to what is found at most other ski areas in Japan. So it's hard to compare pricing as you're rarely comparing similar types of accommodation.There are cheaper options in Hirafu and you don't have to stay in Hirafu. Stay in a pension in Annupuri or Niseko Village and it's little different to any other ski village in Japan in atmosphere or price. I don't think Niseko is all that much more expensive than any other ski area, it just has many more expensive options than most other ski areas. No other resort in Japan has had the sort of western style development boom that Hirafu went through.

well im only comparing my experience with the backpacker hostels i found and im a seasoned backpacker. it was about $50 a night in niseko for pretty average dorms and $25 in hakuba in pretty good dorms and then even cheaper at nozawa onsen.

maybe you're right about other types of accommodation though but theres no question niseko is way more expensive for hostels.

lift tickets is obvious.

and then travel costs are slightly more again.

• 2 weeks later...