nah, come on. you haven't lived till you've jumped off a chairlift into some neck deep stuff that you'd usually have to hike for half an hour to get to. of course, i don't think japan is the right place to do it. chairlift jumping just isn't a respected pastime here (besides, you are a sitting duck for the patrol). save it for a mountain back home that you know.

dan

http://www.irc.atr.co.jp/~deaton/movies.html

I don't think you understand....It says fall...not jump. I jumped off of two chairs today. good stuff.

But you are perfectly correct. Make sure there are no cameras on the line, no patrol. they can be kind of nasty out here

\:\)

Hey dane, just checked your site out. I guess you can say I 'probed' you!

So you are all in to park tricks?

My real question - do you surf? you should try it if you're doing all that dumb shit. Anytime you up north, I'll show you what's up.

Right now, skiing is easy (still my favorite) but I need a new challenge. That would be surfing.

park tricks are fun, but it's more or less just for practice. its the best when you can throw that stuff into your everyday skiing. also i'm big on making jumps. you?

nevertheless the park is wicked fun for me.

about surfing, yeah man! i totally want to give it a go. i hear that if you even manage to get up on your first day you are doing well. are you still surfing now? that's gotta be damned cold if you are. even with a wet suit... i was in the water in nov. last year and it was freezing then. i've done a lot of windsurfing, which is also a great time, but no surfing yet.

where do you live?

I'm glad you kind of agreed. I like to hit parks, but I'd much rather go backcountry or OB. That's basically what we usually do. We've come so close to gettin our tickets pulled...I just think they are scared of me! It's funny, I'm so nice to them, but if a guy stands 8" over them... I think that's the key in Japan..

And surfing - with a 5/4 and a thermal shirt, it's fine. The Japanese guys are soooo cool out there. I love it!

Going back to falling off the chair, if you had a long leash on and your board happened to fall off your foot, d'you reckon it would be heavy enough to pull you off the chair after it? I suspect it would...

Personally I'd rather hike down for my board rather than fall off the chairlift and land in a heap on top of it...

Hey Dane,

I doubt I can make it south this winter but may be able to this summer. Can you make it up here this winter? Open invite to anyone - if you need a place to stay on northern Honshu, let me know.

You can probably tell I'm a loudmouth on here and usually talk out of my arse, but it would be great to ski/surf/hike/bike with you. I'm beyond the point of being modest. I've done all of this stuff for awhile now and just like to go.

I'm going to make a new post soon, but here is the plan. Mt. Iwate - we are going to snow shoe up it and ski down. Right now it's just me and two other guys. I want to see if others will join us. Anyone is welcome if they have the required skills. We're planning on late April or early May to hit it.

And to keep with the thread - don't fall!

actually, i meant to say "markie" in my last post (and should have added, undue praise OR sarcasm, as the case may be)

anyway, that sounds pretty wicked plucky. in late april i will finish working, and have about 2 weeks before i go home. in that time i want to ski fuji, but that will also leave with a lot of extra time, so this mt. iwate deal might be just what i'm looking for.

Hey, dane, no sarcasm here. Like - I'm trying to keep my skis parallel and there you are doing all them cool tricks. Then you take the trouble to document it in detail in addition to all the video clips Awesome! Really inspiring stuff.

Rock on, dude!

Oh, and Plucky, thanks for the open invitation! I think I am going to take you up on it, it sounds like MAJOR fun......"as soon as my skills are up to it"...ha ha ha...like in the next millenium! Or maybe in my dreams.