• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I made a venison stew last week.....it was glorious. Beef is good but venison and moose meat are where it's at.

Aubergine is a lovely legume. Grilled or fried it is delish. Also have it in a mousaka. Great stuff.

I would like to eat more vegtables for sure, but sometimes I have no idea the best way to cook them or any good recipes. My missus likes veg and eats a lot more than I do but often its just shredded raw veg which I don't like....its like eating plastic at times!! :)

Any おすすめ recipes?

Here are some easy to cook and healthy Japanese meals!

野菜いため (very healthy and can be cooked with or with out meat) (takes about 10 mins)

三色丼 (Easy to cook and only takes about 10-15 mins also) Can add extra veggies, which I do, and I call it 四色丼!

肉じゃが (A little tricky to get the exact taste, but with a bit of practice it is easy and takes about 25-30mins) Add extra onion and more carrots, plus snap endo or some kind of beans lie that, for a very healthy delicious meal. (Ease up on the shoyu, if you want it to be even healthier).

Spanish pasta (no idea what it is called, it is my own recipe) Takes the time it takes the pasta to boil to complete about 10-12 mins.

Pasta, eggs, cucumber, pineapple, ham with a little mayo.

Cook pasta (obviously), hard boil one to two eggs, slice a cucumber, ham and pineapple slices(non sweetened pineapple is best) into small pieces while the pasta is cooking.

When cooked drain, add all the bits, mix together with a little mayo and serve.

Very tasty, and quite healthy well if you don't put loads of mayo in, which actually I do as i like the stronger taste!

I have loads of recipes actually, but maybe this is something to be getting on with.

you can slice up an eggplant longways, do crosses on the flesh, soak in salt water for 30 mins, then grill them with oilive oil on top. When half done, sprread a nice layer of miso on top and roast grill some more.

I am a member of PETA ...

People Eating Tasty Animals - If we weren't meant to eat them, why are they so tasty? I mean, Not a lot beats a good brekky of bacon & eggs!

Serious question, for the vegos on here - If you eat fish, are you not eating meat? Fish, afterall are not vegetables, are they?

How about eggs, then?

Or, wearing leather shoes, woolen sox, bone combs in the hair?

I have heard of people described as

"vegos" - eat fish, dairy and eggs

"strict vegos" - eat vegetable only, but don't care about the animal products they wear

"vegans" - will not knowingly use any animal product for anything.

None of these appeals to me - I had a very tasty beef curry this evening for dinner, it would not have been the same without the beef - a serious lack of texture and flavour!

I'm a 70/30 kind of eater with veggies being the 70 percent. But god dammit .. I enjoy the hell out of that remaining 30 percent whether it be meat or fish.

To me it's like alcohol, tobacco, drugs, sex....whatever,, .....if you overindulge sooner or later you are going to have to stop. And that would really suck, right?

So, I enjoy a nice steak once in while but for the part it's the other 70% that makes up my diet. Thank goodness my wife does amazing things with eggpants, spinach, daikon,...........

you get the picture.. :D

NO SPOILERS PIE EATER!!

I wouldn't have thought of niku jaga as a way of eating more veggies!

Easiest way to eat more greens in Japan is nabe.

Other than that, spinach, komatsuna and all the similarly leafy veg are nice steamed (in the microwave is easy) and mixed with sesame-based seasoning for "goma-ae". You can buy goma-ae mix at the supermarket or make your own.

If you can make real dashi, loads of veg cooked in it as ni-mono taste great. Pumpkin, sato-imo, regular potatoes, shiitake, daikon, etc. Throw in a bit of pork if you want a bit more flavour. Vegetarians can make not bad dashi with konbu and dried shiitake.

If you're too tight to buy veggies in winter when they are expensive, beansprouts cooked in sesame oil Korean "namuru" style are about as cheap as it gets. Pretty good too. Kimuchi is also a mighty fine way to eat veggies!

Summer veg like aubergines, courgettes and bell peppers taste great grilled in a George Foreman or on one of them ribbed grill plates you can use on a stovetop. My favourite way to cook aubergines though is to nuke big ones whole on a bbq until charred and floppy, throw away the burned skin, and eat the smokey roasted insides with ponzu. There's a Lebanese version with sesame, garlic and lemon called baba ganouj which is also super yummy.

I wouldn't have thought of niku jaga as a way of eating more veggies!

Easiest way to eat more greens in Japan is nabe.

Other than that, spinach, komatsuna and all the similarly leafy veg are nice steamed (in the microwave is easy) and mixed with sesame-based seasoning for "goma-ae". You can buy goma-ae mix at the supermarket or make your own.

If you can make real dashi, loads of veg cooked in it as ni-mono taste great. Pumpkin, sato-imo, regular potatoes, shiitake, daikon, etc. Throw in a bit of pork if you want a bit more flavour. Vegetarians can make not bad dashi with konbu and dried shiitake.

If you're too tight to buy veggies in winter when they are expensive, beansprouts cooked in sesame oil Korean "namuru" style are about as cheap as it gets. Pretty good too. Kimuchi is also a mighty fine way to eat veggies!

Summer veg like aubergines, courgettes and bell peppers taste great grilled in a George Foreman or on one of them ribbed grill plates you can use on a stovetop. My favourite way to cook aubergines though is to nuke big ones whole on a bbq until charred and floppy, throw away the burned skin, and eat the smokey roasted insides with ponzu. There's a Lebanese version with sesame, garlic and lemon called baba ganouj which is also super yummy.

That's it!! BBQ at Mr. Wiggles house. I'll be over about 4:30 on Saturday.. :wave:

Good point on the Gomae....it's a mainstay at our house. Damn, I'll bet you even make Kale palatable with that stuff. :lol:

I think you'd find that vegans are those people who would not pick the fruit from thetree. They will wait for it to fall and then eat it. I think that's the definition.

Actually, The Vegan Resource Group says ...

"What is a Vegan?

Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, or poultry. Vegans, in addition to being vegetarian, do not use other animal products and by-products such as eggs, dairy products, honey, leather, fur, silk, wool, cosmetics, and soaps derived from animal products."

(source: http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/vegan.htm)