A rant.....

So, I opened up a new bank account because that bank offered the best rates for a car loan that I'm taking for my new truck. My wife put some money in the account and I wanted her to send a furikomi (bank transfer) to the car shop as a down payment. So, right after she put the money in the account they tell her she can't send the furikomi because she's not the account holder despite the fact that she JUST deposited the funds. f'ed up right? So, I go down to the bank and fill out all the paperwork only I don't have the EXACT hanko that I opened the account with so I can't send the funds either.

AND then... they tell me.....my loan is getting hung up because my katakana name that is registered at city hall has one "-" different than my name registered at the bank and I have to go to city hall and get it changed.

Between the hanko bullshit and the katakana spelling ....it's enough to make you go loopy and pull a Johnny Rambo.

Oh and why the F does a cash card for a new account take two weeks to process.....which if I had none of this would be an issue....(except for the katakana)

End of rant...

Hey, Chris - welcome to the world of banking! It isn't only in Japan that the banks make up the rules to suit themselves!

But, to the heart of the matter....now that I've mellowed out...... it's my fault for not having the official "inkan" and I have lived here long enough to know better than to try to expect anything to be based on logic and common sense. I don't think it really has anything to do with customer service because they were being very gracious as I was yelling at them... :lol: .....but rather they are restricted by confines of the banking rules and regulations. I'm pretty sure it wasn't their intention to F up my day. They just want to do their cubicle job, get off at five and go home, crack a beer and watch tv like the rest of us.

Japan a country of rules and regulations that must be followed. :grr: It does seem annoying this official stuff, but on the other hand at least you know things get done correctly here even if it does feel like the various institutions have their own rules.

Well there seem to be a few imbeciles working at the banks locally here.

They are just so terribly inefficient - and yes mistakes are made, I have been 'called back' on numerous times to fix up mistakes they made.

Beyond words, I just hate the thought of going to the bank. I almost always come out frustrated because of something. (And not the amount of money in my account!)

I hate the banking system here. Last week I went into a supermarket and realised I didn't have any money, but they had an ATM so I went over to use it......of course I couldn't because it only accepted THEIR bank card...how silly of me. Why the f##k can they not get their shit together and link the banks all together??

But for the most part the post office has forms in English or at least in my experience of typical post office use I've been able to use romaji.

My wife says I get too worked up about it but even after all this time here and being semi proficient in Japanese I get really embarrassed because my writing in Japanese looks like a 5 yr old's. Also, when I have to write unfamiliar kanji or katakana under pressure like in the line-up at the bank I get nervous which makes everything worse. For me... being functionally illiterate is one of the hardest aspects of life in Japan to come to terms with.

Banks have their own operational difficulties. Thanks to the yanks, banks around the world have undergone a "post 9-11" tightening. Don't expect any bank large or small to bend over 1 degree for you.

Yes....20 mb hard drives...all connected to a clever mainframe named Joshua.....

Update.. I've had to rewrite my application again because they didn't know how to deal with my middle name "William". That's four times now. I've taken out so many loans during my years in Japan but this experience is into some really new territory of ....FAIL. My wife said this is the last straw...if there is anything else that goes wrong she's gong to tell the bank to shove the loan.

Another update.... Decided to ditch the plans for the jacked up Hilux Surf and going with another LandCruiser. 80 Series this time... I'm calling it the "Locked and Loaded Ditch Pig". It's big, brutal and nasty!! I dare anybody to not let me in on a merge. Bwahhaaaahaaa...

Pics to follow. :wave:

actually a hamburger joint round the corner, its much better to have the hamburg steak than the steak lunch set.....nothing wrong with the steak per se, the meat is great but it only comes with a tiny little portion of dipping sauce and the hamburg steak comes slathered in a peppery sauce....mmmm

actually a hamburger joint round the corner, its much better to have the hamburg steak than the steak lunch set.....nothing wrong with the steak per se, the meat is great but it only comes with a tiny little portion of dipping sauce and the hamburg steak comes slathered in a peppery sauce....mmmm

Agreed... the hamburg steak is always the better choice it seems. And, I seem to be the only one who isn't a big fan of the high priced wagu steak. I'd much rather prefer an angus porterhouse or sirloin which is actually meat rather than a slab of marbled fat. I don't get it... :confused: Should start a new thread on it eh Tubby...

The freezer is getting a little sparse....time for a meat run to Costco.. :thumbsup:

I like Wagyu style, it is totally melt in the mouth goodness, BUT I prefer the meaty aberdeen-angus.......a fillet, sirloin, porterhouse....yeah I like the lot of em.