Ikea kitchens sit on plastic legs that have a screw thread in them to adjust the height. I guess its for DIY remodels where the floor isn't completely flat.

The maximum standard height is 900mm, I think. It's where we put ours anyway.

If you are prepared to cut the legs out of wood yourself, you could make any kitchen higher. Its a simple but hassle kind of job that builders will try to avoid.

If the legs are hidden, you could just do it with any old bits of wood as shims.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

Something occured to me last night while chopping veggies. Can you control the counter top heights? The counters in my house are obviously built for soneone who is 10-15cms shorter than I am and I find it really annoying.

Yes we are having ours at 900 as we are both tall

Our target date I believe is 20th October.

All being well we can possibly move at the end of October.

But, we are thinking and sort of planning that we might actually need to keep our place November as well and move leisurely then. Most of the stuff in the new house will be bought new, so there's a lot of shopping and co-ordinating to do.

We'll see nearer the time.

Ikea kitchens sit on plastic legs that have a screw thread in them to adjust the height. I guess its for DIY remodels where the floor isn't completely flat.

The maximum standard height is 900mm, I think. It's where we put ours anyway.

If you are prepared to cut the legs out of wood yourself, you could make any kitchen higher. Its a simple but hassle kind of job that builders will try to avoid.

If the legs are hidden, you could just do it with any old bits of wood as shims.

We did this with our Japanese cooker to reach the same height as our units. Big blocks of wood under every leg, covered with a fascia board at the front

Our wood arrived the day before yesterday, then it started a downpour of massive rain - luckily they covered it up nice - and the carpenter will apparently start his gig from today.

Woohoo!

Interesting thread this one.

Sorry I might have missed this but when do you guys expect to be able to move into your house?

Ours is the last week of september weather permitting .

Can hardly believe how quickly our house has taken shape.

4 days ago, the wood had been delivered and was lying there in front of the foundation. Of course, all the pieces cut to size etc.

As of yesterday evening, the structure was up to the roof!!

:veryshocked:

Cue huge bottle of sake and beer for the carpenters.

Can hardly believe how quickly our house has taken shape.

4 days ago, the wood had been delivered and was lying there in front of the foundation. Of course, all the pieces cut to size etc.

As of yesterday evening, the structure was up to the roof!!

:veryshocked:

Cue huge bottle of sake and beer for the carpenters.

Can we have a couple of photos please.

Difficult at this time of year with the weather when it can suddenly rain seemingly from nowhere.... my lot got rained on for a few hours on the second day, none of the forecasts had any rain lined up. Didn't stop them though, I think once they start it would take a tornado to stop them!

Yes indeed, It will be the same for us, wait for a gap in the rain, start building and hope for the best.

It starts of sunny / cloudy in the morning here, followed by big black clouds rolling in from lunch time and then heavy downpours through until the evening.

And with rain all day tomorrow forecast and pretty much every day this week I will guess the frame building will start next week and not this Friday.

I will ask Thursday as I got to go and drop of a form at our builders office.

I'm totally no expert on this (obviously!) but with lots of construction being done around this time of year in Japan, surely a lot of it gets rained on... so surely it's not really a major thing to worry about.

?

I can see how it would be nicer to have it all done in nice dry sunny conditions, but.....

I think in the snowy areas, it's just a case of getting it done now before the snow comes in winter. They'll have a pretty tight window between snow melting and first snowfall to get everything done

Well, there's tons of houses going up in my area. And this is not snowy area.

And it rains a lot too. Tends to do that in rainy season, often without being announced. Almost impossible to book a '4 days with no rain' period through this time of year isn't it.

Yeah the rainy season, great for my fields not for house building!

A lot of houses are being built around here too even in the rain. I guess it must be ok the builders know what they are doing, but wood is wood, and wood and rain equals not good wood in my way of thinking!

Because here they don't coat the wood with anything to protect it, that is probably why houses have to be ripped down in 30-40 years time because the internal wood frame has rotted!

First snow in Kobuchisawa where our house is being built is usually sometime in November so we should have 6-8 weeks after we move in to do things outside such as put up a fence make the dogs run etc before the first snow arrives, although it melts before the proper snow hits. Not heavy snow area of course like the west side, but never the less it does snow a lot more than Kofu.

I think most building projects in these parts need to get their structure up by the end of July to get finished in time for snowfalls.

With most starting in May/June, it only gives about 2 months window for that first part.

There's quite a few going up here now.

And yes the weather is extremely unpredictable, the forecasts are pretty useless at the moment.

Discovered what I believe to be my/our first real "miss" in all of this.

The subject of front door, I didn't really a massive amount of attention to until recently and now that I see that the space for our front door, I feel it's just not really wide enough and fitting with everything else we are doing.

:(

But happily the builders have said that at this stage they are able to adjust, though obviously it will cost us as there will need to be some deconstructing and adjusting... perhaps over 100,000 yen in work.

Got to decide now if we think it's worth the wasting of that money (plus the extra for the upgraded wider 'oyako door') or not.

I feel in the long term it will be, otherwise I'll probably just keep on thinking about it and regretting not doing it.

I really don't like wasting money but I suppose I'm happy we are able to 'fix' this mistake if we so wish. And until now no real things that I feel we have made a miss.

I think the 100K was for the new, larger, door plus the extra work to "adjust" the existing building - like change the opening and refix the walls around the new door opening.

Could be wrong, but sure it's worth it in the end. A door that's too small is a PITA forever!