Essential Travel, which claims to be the first British firm to adopt such a policy, said customers who have an accident and are proven to have been skiing without head protection face having their policy invalidated.

The move is part of an ongoing safety campaign by the insurer, “Use Your Head”, which was launched in 2010 following the death of Natasha Richardson a year earlier.

The actress died after sustaining a head injury during a skiing lesson at the Mont Tremblant resort in Canada. She was not wearing a helmet when she fell, and her death prompted a debate about ski safety, with some observers calling for head protection to become mandatory.

According to a recent survey by Essential Travel, around 77 per cent of British skiers now claim to wear a helmet on the slopes, up from 62 per cent in 2010.

“Whilst it is true that a helmet does not reduce all sports injury, it seriously reduces the risk of potentially fatal injuries,” said Stuart Bensusan of Essential Travel. “That alone warrants making wearing helmets compulsory, and we choose to completely support safety conscious skiers by rewarding them with reduced premiums and bonus discounts.”

A spokesman for the company admitted that while it may not always be able to prove whether or not a customer had been wearing a helmet, it would examine medical records and doctors’ notes for clues.

The Use Your Head campaign has the backing of several tour operators, including Headway, Ellis Brigham, and Neilson, with several offering discounts on holidays if they book insurance through Essential Travel.

It is thought that other insurers may now follow suit by adopting similar policies.

Use Your Head

Wear a helmet this season to unlock exclusive winter sports discounts

Now in it’s 3rd year, our Use Your Head campaign is back to promote the benefits of wearing a helmet whilst on piste. A whopping 77% of our customers now wear a helmet whilst skiing or snowboarding - a 15% increase in just 2 seasons!

73% of you said you wanted to wear a helmet & be rewarded for your actions

We listened. To reward you for your decision to ski safely, we’ve partnered with the likes of Neilson, Ellis Brigham & Facewest to help you cut the cost of skiing safely.

No helmet, No insurance

This year, our message is clear – it is now compulsory that you wear a helmet whilst participating in winter sports activities to be fully covered by our fantastic winter sports travel insurance policies.

Let's helmet?

Not me. Not ever. Most of my skiing is uninsured anyway as I really only ski off-piste and don't bother going to the expense and effort of finding an insurer who'll cover that.

Since this is Insurance Industry driven,, the ONLY reason they are "concerned" is that they don't want to be paying out money on their policies. So any roadblock in the way will do to enable them to say...."ah sorry, your policy is void". Notice they won't refund premiums paid in the case of a voided policy.

Yes its sensible for people to protect themselves, perhaps everyone should wear a helmet but not at the behest of the money grabbing Insurance industry....fast enough to whisk your money away and slow to pay it back.

i heard that some aussie resorts are requiring helmets now or they wont <something something> (i zoned out). i think wont let you take lessons maybe?

in any case, the adjustable and removable vents / etc in my helmet make it my go to head keeperer warmer upperer for any day skiing.

plus i dont want to be associated in any way with those tourist muppets heading out into off piste with no gear at all.

my insurance may not cover a fall out there. but a helmet has definitely meant the difference between "haha i hope you got that triple forward flip stack on camera" vs "helicopter please, im a vegetable"

Thankfully in Japan anything they're not so nanny state crazy like in Aus.

This comment is interesting though

plus i dont want to be associated in any way with those tourist muppets heading out into off piste with no gear at all.

Surely you mean out into the backcountry or at the very least sidecountry? Not just the off-piste? Or should we all have gear if we venture just a few metres into the trees on the side of a piste run? Because this 'tourist muppet' who lived in Niseko for 7 years skied off-piste without any gear at all in Niseko all the time ;)

i heard that some aussie resorts are requiring helmets now or they wont <something something> (i zoned out). i think wont let you take lessons maybe?;

That would be kiddie lessons. Kids heads are soft, and they make poor decisions. And parents get stressed. Makes sense.

I doubt anywhere would be stupid enough to make it compulsory for an adult who says, yeah, no thanks, I see your recommendation but choose to do otherwise.

Surely you mean out into the backcountry or at the very least sidecountry? Not just the off-piste? Or should we all have gear if we venture just a few metres into the trees on the side of a piste run? Because this 'tourist muppet' who lived in Niseko for 7 years skied off-piste without any gear at all in Niseko all the time ;)

lol yeah, meant the sidecountry and back country (ie, out the gates)

hehe i was just imagining the nannies going soo far that some future aussie ski resort will have laser detectors (like in tennis) that track if you go off the groomer so they can clip ur pass.

Now even when it comes to going out the gates at Niseko I must admit to only very rarely taking avi gear with me. There hasn't been an avi death on the mountain since the introduction of the gates back in about 2002 or 2003 from memory? So even with the incredible amounts of snow that falls and the incredible amount of tourist muppets heading out with no gear at all there's not been one avi death by those accessing the sidecountry through the gates in over a decade. I'm really not sure just how much safer it could be. In all the years I lived in Niseko I constantly heard people carry on about the need for avi gear for those accessing the sidecountry through the gates (usually those involved in guiding and hiring out such gear) but in all those years I don't recall anyone having to use it in order to survive. I'm not for a second saying people shouldn't have all the gear they want, including helmets. If it makes you feel safer, go for it. But to carry on that people who don't have gear are somehow being reckless is kind of silly considering the safety record of the gate management at the resort.

As was discussed in the Helmet thread last year, I wear one sometimes... A) when I'm shooting video, B> when I'm tearing down at a great speed and a bale would cause blackouts c) when I'm playing in between trees. Seeing as I'm doing all 3 more often, I tend to wear it more than I used to.

Whilst I don't think they should be mandatory, trees hurt more than wearing them.

I've started wearing one most of the time as of last season. I like the feeling actually. It's kind of like being buckled in to a 5 point racing harness......tight and ready for performance.

thanks GN, i was wondering if i needed avi gear to go through the gates.. at niseko, ie.

Supposedly it's a major accident waiting to happen according to all the folks that won't step out the front door without a transceiver on. But the safety record at Niseko speaks for itself as far as I'm concerned. Still I would never discourage anyone from taking gear. It's certainly not a bad idea. Same with helmets.

So if I choose to use that insurance company, I must wear a helmet. If I don't use that insurance company, then I probably won't need a helmet....yet.

Cool, so people can still make their own decisions.

What's the problem?

What's the problem?

I think Crisps posted because its probably an indication of things to come.

My thinking exachary! Time will come that all insurance will be predicated on the wearing of a helmet. At that time, I will buy insurance ONLY for the travel portion of the trip and not be bothered with the skiing insurance. (I might be beyond skiing at that point :wink: )

What's the problem?

I think Crisps posted because its probably an indication of things to come.

Hence the ....yet.

Agreed that the insurance companies will start to collude on it. And we all know how it will end up in the states as litigation cases end up in court against people and resorts.

Mine keeps my ears warm and head dry seems like a good enough reason.

I hope they don't make it compulsory like riding a Bicycle in Australia that would suck.

My girls don't want to where one this year fingers crossed.

Seemore

Seemore,

IME if they are under 18 and you are paying for thier lift ticket you can get away with 'enforcing' helmet use.

Especially if you demonstrate it and comply yourself.

Once they hit 18, or start paying thier own way - its up to them.

I lost the battle with #2 at 17 when he got his instructors qualification. But the way I see it he knows about helmets and the benefits and drawbacks not just in theory, but in practice. He is more experienced and skilled on the mountain than most. It is up to him, my job is done.

#1 loves his helmet.

The 'I am paying for your ticket, you are not 18 yet, and if you got concussion your coach would kill me' are still in effect for 15yo and 13yo.

Good luck! :D

Parenting is fun :lol:

I love my helmet. I feel utterly naked in a beanie these days. Its comfy, its WAY warmer than a beanie, i can put my cam on it ("can you switch my gopro on? is it on? Is the red light flashing? You sure?"). And yeah, it has actually helped with bails.

One really fun was last year in nozawa. Full pelt down the skyline, was kinda tired, the light was dimming and caught my front edge (yikes), went flying backwards head first, cracked my head proper style, had my helmet on... certainly concussed for a good few hours thereafter and spent the next two days riding with a near constant headache. :)

Another near miss (without a helmet). Season 2, riding in the trees at suginohara. Felt i was going too fast so stuck my arm out to grab a tree and slow down. Ooops. I *was* going too fast. My arm bounced off the tree, i lost my balance, was spun around flying (once again head first) backwards, and landed less than a foot away from a very young but very very sturdy looking silver birch. It put the willies up me, that one. I think thats why i hunted down a helmet for season 3.

Ride however the hell you like. Im not your mum. But any time i dont have my helmet i feel like im going to die now. :) I wish i had more tales just because itd be fun to have war stories.

ooh, oooh! helmet yard sales when you forgot to clip it onto your head are always funny.