Koshi Kogen.

Remember the name, it's probably going to be hot on the heels of Mt Granview in the popularity stakes this coming winter.

This mega-resort is nestled in the lovely mountains of my favourite village area of Yamakoshi - well, now part of Nagaoka city, but still known as Yamakoshi.

I've mentioned it before, but it was the village that was mangled up by the Chuetsu earthquake 8 years ago that rumbled beneath this region.

It's a very beautiful area, famous for koi carp, rice fields on the hills, friendly alpace dudes, bull-fighting.... and it's mega-ski resort.

(It is actually famous for most of those btw. ;))

I actually remember seeing the ski lift here looking in a bad state after Chuetsu. I don't know if they fixed it up or got a new one in. But they will be open, and I'll be sure to try and get there for a ski report.

Anyway here's some pics!

Looking down from the summit

gallery_6744_205_240238.jpg

Pair lift! 豪華!

gallery_6744_205_133696.jpg

The top bit

gallery_6744_205_66587.jpg

The view from the top looking back towards Hakkai-san - check out the snow

gallery_6744_205_2928.jpg

Gouda @ Koshi Kogen

gallery_6744_205_77620.jpg

Slice Cheese @ Koshi Kogen

gallery_6744_205_227031.jpg

Surrounding hills

gallery_6744_205_625713.jpg

Friendly alpaca dude!

gallery_6744_205_67598.jpg

More friendly alpaca dudes

gallery_6744_205_606275.jpg

Hakkai-san on the way back

gallery_6744_205_207254.jpg

-----

Of course, Mt Granview are doing well with their hugely ambitious re-development projects, but they could do well to keep an eye on Koshi Kogen......

The alpacas are a new tourist bringing place they have made. Very friendly animals, and they had a lot of space.

Yamakoshi got a lot of cash from the Niigata/govt. and so they have lots of nice new roads so I think yes they have recovered very well.

Not sure how it all affected the koi and cow aspect of things but I recall seeing something on the anniversary of the quake last month and they were saying they were almost back to pre-quake activity.