• 5 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

mate, great pics but truly sketchy conditions - you are a brave lad

WEDNESDAY 15 MAY 2013     I returned home to Wales a month ago hoping for April turns but the snow which fell at the start of the month had unfortunately long since disappeared.   With Scotland s

Went for a bit of a drive up Uonuma Skyline this afternoon, hardly any up there. Will post some pics.   In another thread, sorry Mike!

WEDNESDAY 15 MAY 2013

I returned home to Wales a month ago hoping for April turns but the snow which fell at the start of the month had unfortunately long since disappeared.

With Scotland still going strong and the thermometer barely getting above 10 C there was always a chance that cold air from the north mixed with the early summer rains could deliver one last day this season.

And yesterday was that day, and the first time I've been able to ski in Wales in May.

In the British Summer Time.

SUMMER SKIING IN THE CENTRAL BEACONS MASSIF

16 cm had been forecast on the higher peaks of the Brecon Beacons National Park and when I parked up at 9am I was surprised and excited to see the extent of the snow cover.

Sunshine and a stiff wind accompanied me on my hike up the well maintained main path.

The snowfall was very localised as can be seen from the following images.

I'm standing on Cefn Crew where the snow had settled fairly evenly looking back across the A470 to Fan Fawr where there was just a dusting up high.

mike pow_1552.jpg

Ahead of me winter had returned

mike pow_1553.jpg

mike pow_1554.jpg

I walked to the summit plateau of Corn Du and then to Pen-y-Fan. The faces I'd skied in November hadn't received as much snowfall as the slopes running down from Pen-y-Fan and Corn Du into Blaen Taff Fechan and the Upper Neuadd reservoir.

Pen-y-Fan from Corn Du

mike pow_1555.jpg

The NE Face of Pen-y-Fan

mike pow_1556.jpg

mike pow_1557.jpg

The NE Face of Pen-y-Fan with Cribyn

mike pow_1558.jpg

The locals were a little bemused with the weather

mike pow_1559.jpg

So I spent the morning making laps off Pen-y-Fan and Corn Du (2 laps each) before heading back to Bwlch Duwynt and the home run.

The snow was slow and spongy but consistent and smooth. Patience was the name of the game.

mike pow_1560.jpg

mike pow_1561.jpg

mike pow_1562.jpg

It was great to be making 'home' turns again.

Cefn Crew

mike pow_1563.jpg

The end of the road

mike pow_1564.jpg

The end of the season?

• Like 1

Always enjoy hearing and viewing your adventures Mike. Looking forward to more.

Have you fallen there (plenty of obstacles - rocks, uneven surface, grass tuffs and not a whole heap of snow). Looks like you could slide a ways if that happened?

Thanks snowdude and little sheep.

Always enjoy hearing and viewing your adventures Mike. Looking forward to more.

Have you fallen there (plenty of obstacles - rocks, uneven surface, grass tuffs and not a whole heap of snow). Looks like you could slide a ways if that happened?

Thanks.

Yeah taken plenty of tumbles, nothing serious though. The grass tufts and heather are quite accommodating.

Summer hasn't started this year yet in the northern hemisphere though has it? When do you guys consider summer starts? I would have thought it would be from the summer solstice?

No in the UK it's technically when British Summer Time begins.....which of course isn't really in summer but that's when the clocks go forward

Yep.

Yesterday I was at the beach in shorts and t-shirt and it was 21 C.

Talking of the sheep - they must love it when the cold winter finishes!

They don't seem to mind it much. Only problems when it drifts and they get stuck, like it did in N Wales earlier in the winter.