• SnowJapan Admin

Good morning.

I would like to ask a bit of feedback from everyone.

Most of us probably know the main "popular areas" like Hakuba, Niseko, Yuzawa, Shiga Kogen etc.

But how about some other perhaps less well-known "areas" or destinations.

I'm not asking about one ski resort out on it's own, but rather "areas" where there are perhaps a few resorts close-by that can be grouped together and named, like Shiga Kogen.

They don't have to be linked up or owned by the same company or anything like that.

We have our own thoughts on this of course, but I thought it would be good to see what other people think.

Thank you.

Minakami is a winner I reckon, with Tenjin, Houdaigi, Okutone, etc. Also, white world is ment to be as good as anywhere after a big dump when Tenjin is closed (haven't been personally but)...

Area has heaps of onsens, gaijin friendly accomm (and full Japanese style) and pretty easy to get to from Tokyo.

Tateshina area, Nagano:

Blanche Takayama

Kirigamine

Echo Valley

Kurumayama Kogen

Shirakaba Kogen Kokusai

Shirakaba Resort

Shirakaba Royal Hill

Shirakaba 2 in 1

Tateshina Tokyu

Pilatus Tateshina

Yachiho Kogen?

Koumi Riekkusu?

(snowdude may have an opinion here, for example on whether the last two should logically be included)

Aizu Kogen area, Fukushima:

Aizu Kogen Nango

Aizu Kogen Daikurayama

Aizu Kogen Takatsue

Aizu Kogen Takahata

Hinoemata

Tadami?

Fairy Land Kaneyama?

For the Bandai area, I would be tempted to include all of the following, and perhaps name it "Bandai-Adatara area":

Alts Bandai

Grand Sunpia Inawashiro Resort

Inawashiro

Family Snow Park Bandai x2

Urabandai

Urabandai Nekoma

Grandeco

Listel Ski Fantasia

Numajiri

Minowa

Yokomuki Onsen

Nihonmatsu Shiozawa

Adatara Kogen

(Alternatively, the last 5 could be split off into a separate "Adatara area," but that seems unnecessarily detailed to me.)

Room for adjustments in all the above, of course.

Furano, Kamui, Tomamu, Sahoro, Asahidake, Kurodake in the Hokkaido interior offer a wide variety of terrain and facilities all within a couple of hours of each other.

Fly in to Asahikawa and base yourself in one town and do day trips. Or a relaxed road trip.

An easy alternative to the Shiribeshi ski areas of Niseko, Moiwa, Chisenupuri, Rusutsu, Kiroro, Sapporo Kokusai and Teine.

Furano, Kamui, Tomamu, Sahoro, Asahidake, Kurodake in the Hokkaido interior offer a wide variety of terrain and facilities all within a couple of hours of each other..

But what would you call that 'area'?

Furano, Kamui, Tomamu, Sahoro, Asahidake, Kurodake in the Hokkaido interior offer a wide variety of terrain and facilities all within a couple of hours of each other..

But what would you call that 'area'?

The Hokkaido (w)Hinterland

With all due respect, are you sure you're not trying to fix something that ain't broken?

I understand the rationale for grouping areas together under an umbrella designation when it works (Hakuba, Yuzawa, Myoko), but most of those that `work' are already grouped. Putting Niseko and Teine together under Shiribeshi is pretty useless (sorry MikeP) as that's not a name that's ever going to catch on. It'll just be confusing.

• SnowJapan Admin

That to me, DiGriz?

Not trying to 'fix' anything and nothing is broken.

Perhaps you'll be in a better position to make that observation when you know what we are actually doing, which obviously I haven't revealed yet.

:friend:

For now I am simply asking for thoughts on the matter, which I think is pretty harmless.

Well, to SJ in general. And yes, without knowing just what you've got in mind it's hard to say.

I just think most of the groupings that actually fit together have long ago been made, and for the rest generic terms like Nagano or central Hokkaido already work.

dunno though, the less travelled path resorts like the Fukushima ones could probably do with a grouping (especially one that doesn't say Fukushima), perhaps of course the well trodden prefectures like Nagano and Niigata and Hokkaido perhaps don't need to as they have been grouped ages ago.

With all due respect, are you sure you're not trying to fix something that ain't broken?

I understand the rationale for grouping areas together under an umbrella designation when it works (Hakuba, Yuzawa, Myoko), but most of those that `work' are already grouped. Putting Niseko and Teine together under Shiribeshi is pretty useless (sorry MikeP) as that's not a name that's ever going to catch on. It'll just be confusing.

I was replying to this from the OP:

But how about some other perhaps less well-known "areas" or destinations.

I'm not asking about one ski resort out on it's own, but rather "areas" where there are perhaps a few resorts close-by that can be grouped together and named, like Shiga Kogen.

They don't have to be linked up or owned by the same company or anything like that.

We have our own thoughts on this of course, but I thought it would be good to see what other people think.

Thank you.

Sure Hokkaido (w)Hinterland was an off the cuff name for what is Central Hokkaido but Shiribeshi is a name that I didn't come up with.

If it's confusing then that's down to education and marketing.

But then I'm called to task whenever I use 'Niseko Resort Area' rather than just Niseko.

My understanding is the 'Niseko Resort Area' includes the connected ski areas of Annupuri, Niseko Village (Higashiyama), Hirafu and Hanazono along with Niseko Moiwa, Chisenupuri (not quite sure of that) and the defunct areas of Niseko Weiss and Niseko Iwanai.

I'm called to task whenever I use 'Niseko Resort Area' rather than just Niseko

Not by me, Mike. I routinely refer to the `Niseko region' myself.

Was just using Shiribeshi as an example of a name that won't catch on globally -- too many syllables and Niseko already established.

But let's wait and see what the SJ'rs have in mind.

It seems fairly clear to me that SJ folk aren't in the business of bothering themselves with cheesy one-liners and probably are interested in referring to area names as referred to by locals.

For example, what rider69 told us about the Gujo area, didn't know that actually.

Perhaps complaints should be reserved for until they show you what they do with it. ;)