The movie thread respawn challenge

currently 1992, but the weekends over, so feel free to switch it out to something else.

actually, i wanna watch a movie now so im calling it.

i picked this one because its the year of star wars and i aint watching that, so its an adventure :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i could have watched:

Annie Hall

Star wars

Eraserhead

A bridge too far

Slapshot

Capricorn one

Numerous Naziploitation movies (seems it was a bit of a time for those).

Saturday night fever

Smokey and teh bandit.

The choirboys

Orca

Jubilee

Abigail's party

And a tonne of really lame looking kung fu movies.

But instead i went for Suspiria.

What a colorful movie. :p

Not exactly amazing, but not exactly awful either. A bit slasher for my taste, some rather awful acting, but the visuals are striking (for a while - it loses its impact after a while to be honest), and the music is great (for a while).

Id give it a C on a scale of a-f. It has something that feels utterly unique and i feel more like ibe earned my place now at a dinner party with a bunch of 30-60 something arts grads. Still, i cant help but feel that maybe it could have been a little less... hokey?

four hits from teh first page at solarmovie (dont go to sites like this without malware defense by the way) was:

ET

The thing

Bladerunner

Gandhi

actally... continued...

Tootsie

Wrath of Khan

Poltergheist

First Blood

Sophies choice (which i might have to watch so i can say it and actually have seen the movie the expression came from).

The world according to Garp

48 hours

Tron...

Jesus, i shoudl stop there otherwise youll all lose the joy of finding movies you forgot existed :) 1982 away we go. Ding Ding!

i made it 49 minutes into the sword and the sorcerer before i realised 2 things: 1) i have no recollection of ANY of that movie from my childhood though i swear to christ i used to watch it, And b ) this movie is a huge waste of my time.

Bladerunner. Haven't seen that one since... 1982? Should check out one of the director's cuts some day.

Sophies choice (which i might have to watch so i can say it and actually have seen the movie the expression came from).

Back when Meryl was still serious.

But, "Sophie's choice" is an expression? What does it mean, other than what it meant in the movie? (Trying to avoid spoilers.)

im going to say... yes? But then i did a degree in the very subject of this kind of thing so maybe thats why its an expression. That being said, im pretty sure ive heard it a lot in political contexts, which of course somewhat cheapens the phrase when one acknowledges the context of the "choice" made in the actual movie.

King of comedy.

Deniro on fire. Jerry Lewis plays an awesome deadpan. And sandra bernhard is scene stealing doing exactly what shes famous for. Thoroughly enjoyed it. stop.

And.. er... me :( Too slow for my tastes.

Two movies last night:

Dark crystal. As charming as it ever was. The plot doesnt really exist. I wont spoil it for you, but if youre thinking of a plot for a 6 year old this is pretty much it. But still captivating even after all these years.

48 hours. I remember watching this as a kid and not liking it. Why eddie murphy not funny>>???? Then i watched it in my twenties and felt it was kinda dull. I have to say the years have been kind to it. In my thirties i get it more. Its a generic template but its got a decent pace to it. Enoyed it for sure.