The movie thread respawn challenge

Instead of just what (random) movie are you watching thread, i had this idea instead that every weekend or so we pick a year (random) and have to watch a movie from that year. Thats the only restriction.

Ill be a bit of a fascist and arbitrarily pick 1996.

I figured it would be a little safer than diving into the magic era of cinema and all that, but also be far enough away to be borderline cult or "old". It can be any movie from that year, you dont need a full review or anything, just a quick it was crap or it was great.

I reckons changes can be pretty arbitrary and whenever someone decides they just fancy changing the year, but possibly leave it a day or three before calling another one to give people time to sit and watch something. :)

Basically im just being a movie fascist, but the intentions are good (to break us all out of our personal viewing cycles and habits). So hows about it?

1996, sounds fun?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Success! (well, 80% success).

Just watched Joe's Apartment and kinda found myself really enjoying it. Well, some of it. As i say, 80% success. If the animation/humour of army of darkness appeals to you, youre going to like this one. Amazingly never watched it as a kid. I would have freaking loved it as a 10 year old. :) It lags in spots, the joke (theres only one) rears a bit thin, it has some horrific characterisation and stereotyping, but well, its got pepa in it so thats awesome. And also a bunch of singing cockroaches doing their best jon stewart new yorker impression.

great movie that one.

For my own part ive been putting in the hours at the mill.

Watched Schizopolis. Not sure what to think of it. I enjoyed it in parts.Felt like an exercise in sign theory. I couldnt love it all first time, but genuinely enjoyed sonderbergh as a leading man. He has a watchable face :) I have a strong feeling though ill pop back to it a few more times before i shuffle off.

And after that i decided id brave the luvvies and watched hamlet. It occured to me i might have actually got through life knowing OF hamlet, but never having seen it. So im kinda grateful for this pointless thread. Spent the first hour trying my best to not enjoy it by browsing the net whist loosely watching it, but ended up somehow completely absorbed by it.

iconic year that one if youre a european. :)

Lesseee...

Man bites dog

Peter's friends

Hard Boiled

and Orlando

Immediately stand out, but seen them all. All awesome in case you need a bit of inspiration.

Orlando is fabulous. But you know, tilda swinton... nowt bad comes from her.

Ooh, more:

El mariachi

The crying game

ARMY OF DARKNESS

Reservoire dogs.

Waynes world

Malcolm X

ah balls to it, i was gonna list ideas but just too too many :)

Im amazed you all missed this one:

Title definitely not safe for work. Blacksexscifsploitation.

Let me briefly summarise. A bunch of gay ehem, black men (and an asian dude dubbed into danish for some reason), are fighting against the oppression of men on any planet they find, from the claws of heterosexual slave driving women. In this installment (the only one), they turn up at earth and attempt to free the slaves in order to create a gay paradise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ncwCETyQlk

I tried watching universal soldier last night. Got about 1/2 way through and fell asleep. Its a very very silly movie. It hasnt really held up very well.

"since 1936 I've been fighting for higher wages. My father before me fought for higher wages. I've got a TV, a fridge, and a VW.

If you ask me, it's been a dog's life from start to finish"

Today i decided to watch of mice and men. Its an incredible movie. If youve never read the book (i hadnt), then its something you need to watch (or read, whatever). This is an astonishing story. I keep trying to explain it, but then i feel im making it into a chintzy cliche soundbite so i keep erasing it. Instead ill just say you should probably watch this or read the book or something and see what you feel about it. You wont be wasting your time.

"since 1936 I've been fighting for higher wages. My father before me fought for higher wages. I've got a TV, a fridge, and a VW.

If you ask me, it's been a dog's life from start to finish"

Today i decided to watch of mice and men. Its an incredible movie. If youve never read the book (i hadnt), then its something you need to watch (or read, whatever). This is an astonishing story. I keep trying to explain it, but then i feel im making it into a chintzy cliche soundbite so i keep erasing it. Instead ill just say you should probably watch this or read the book or something and see what you feel about it. You wont be wasting your time.

Agree.