I see that the anti-piracy law has come into effect in Japan, banning all those nasty lads from downloading free music and videos. I wonder how they are going to actually Police that

Probably looking for the people doing 30 GB per day, daily, and then selling the pirated CD's/DVD's. I've never really heard of your average downloader getting popped/hassled for less than 30 GB per month. A little more than that and they may send you a nasty-gram, but that's probably it.

Could you imagine all the work they'd have to do busting EVERY downloader? Especially foreigners, I'd imagine that would take a bit more time.

I personally think its a joke. I can't get stateside hulu, netflix, itunes, etc. I'd have to pay in Yen, and settle for them not having anything I'm looking for. No thanks.

LONG LIVE PIRACY!!! :p

Bet it'd be a different story if it was your work being 'pirated'.

I pay for what deserves to be paid for. If I did a bad job, I wouldn't expect someone to pay me. Please don't expect sympathy for millionares from me. :)

I'm going to try that in a posh restaurant tonight.

If I don't like the expensive dish they give me, I will jolly well tell them and decide not to pay for it.

:grandpa:

I might even get away with not paying by pretending I don't like it, even if I did.

Let's see how they flipping well deal with that!

Bet it'd be a different story if it was your work being 'pirated'.

I pay for what deserves to be paid for. If I did a bad job, I wouldn't expect someone to pay me. Please don't expect sympathy for millionares from me. :)

Relatively few musicians are "millionaires".

And are you implying that an artists wealth has something to do with your decision as to whether to pay for their work or not?

I thought you said that the decision was based on "whether a good or bad job" was done?

:confused:

I think it's interesting how the distribution history of different media play into this.

Before personal VHS technology, the movie studios had pretty much total control over their output.

Decades earlier, the phonograph had already turned music into the individual's property; you went to the store and bought a record and it was yours, like a book.

You could lend it, sell it, repurchase it in a used record shop -- right through the 1970s the Hunter chain of used record shops was a treasure house of music in Tokyo.

There were three large shops just in Ginza, including one in the basement of the Sony Bldg.

In the late 70s and early 80s, the rental record shops began popping up at every train station, and when CDs were introduced it was just a matter of readjusting the shelves.

That rental industry served as a model when the studios began selling their output in VHS. They didn't worry too much about copying in the early days, seemingly clueless to the idea that digital technology might come along to make it so easy to copy a 2-hour film and send it to everyone you know in a matter of minutes.

Studios still seem clueless to the fact that every copy protection scheme they devise can and will be hacked in a matter of days (if not hours) while they keep demanding that their lawyers stuff the toothpaste back into the tube.

Yeah, I download as well, (well not NOW of course, Mr Japanese Big Brother-like Internet Nazis) but I'm different to MiJ as I won't buy it if I can get it for free.

Interesting what you say DiGriz about the phonograph/records. When you buy a CD NOW, are you still entitled to lend it, sell it and repurchase it? If so, what's the actual difference to someone who has bought it and puts it on one of these P2P torrent sites for other people to share?

I much prefer Tubby's stance about this than the ridiculous try-anything attempts at justifications that people like norcal come up with.

At least it's honest. In a thieving sort of way ;)

Surely there are many instances in life when "the act is the same", but the consequences are vastly different?

And if the seller puts a price or conditions on his product, it's not the right of someone to decide whether they take it for free or pay for it.

I don't know. Really I don't think about it all too much.

Basically if I want something that has a price attached, and that is the way to legally obtain it, then I buy it.

It seems only reasonable.

Whilst I do agree with you for the most part (ie I will always pay for my groceries even if I thought I could just nick out the front door with the basket) I think that once someone buys a CD for instance, then it belongs to them and they can do with it what they want. The artist holds the intellectual rights, so the buyer shouldn't make money off of it, but he can choose to share it if he wants. Tesco's wouldn't take me to court for giving you 1 of the carrots that I bought from them. :D

Well, giving a physical carrot to a friend is hardly the same as sharing digital 1s/0s with potentially the entire population of the world, is it.

It surely doesn't seem that way to me anyhow.

I suppose that's the big main difference isn't it - a physical product that can't be copied compared with one that is not physical and infinitely and easily copy-able.

That's about how far my argument goes I'm afriad. :doh:

Like I said, if something I want has a price and I want it, then I will pay for it.

When you buy a CD NOW, are you still entitled to lend it, sell it and repurchase it? If so, what's the actual difference to someone who has bought it and puts it on one of these P2P torrent sites for other people to share?

You can certainly lend it - but you cannot listen to it at the same time as the person you loaned it to unless in the same room. So, your difference is quite simply that a single, physical item (the CD) can only be in one physical place at any given time - a torrent site allows more than one person to be listening to the same CD without having purchased a copy. and they could be in different continents, let alone different cities!

As for the maker of the product, do you try to buy a car, then return it, having manufactured an identical, operating copy, for a full refund? Good luck with that!

Having written a couple of books, I feel for people whose work and effort is being ripped off by thieves. OK, I rip a DVD to iPod, so I can have some English entertainment to take to Japow with me (Cannot get a grip of what passes for "humour" and entertainment in Japanese TV, no matter how hard I try), but the original remains at home, and the copy is destroyed when I am finishged watching it. If I want/need to se it again at home, I break out the original!

When you buy a CD NOW, are you still entitled to lend it, sell it and repurchase it? If so, what's the actual difference to someone who has bought it and puts it on one of these P2P torrent sites for other people to share?

You can certainly lend it - but you cannot listen to it at the same time as the person you loaned it to unless in the same room. So, your difference is quite simply that a single, physical item (the CD) can only be in one physical place at any given time - a torrent site allows more than one person to be listening to the same CD without having purchased a copy. and they could be in different continents, let alone different cities!

As for the maker of the product, do you try to buy a car, then return it, having manufactured an identical, operating copy, for a full refund? Good luck with that!

Having written a couple of books, I feel for people whose work and effort is being ripped off by thieves. OK, I rip a DVD to iPod, so I can have some English entertainment to take to Japow with me (Cannot get a grip of what passes for "humour" and entertainment in Japanese TV, no matter how hard I try), but the original remains at home, and the copy is destroyed when I am finishged watching it. If I want/need to se it again at home, I break out the original!

:wakaranai:

who is on about returning copied goods?

A question to ex-pats who don't like to download music for free, do you stream or watch TV shows from your home country? Would you still consider that as theft of intellectual property?