The first time I did it was almost 15 years ago. I only brewed beer twice then because at that time it was somewhat of a hassle. Beer kits have come a long long way since then though. It's basically add water, mix and wait for a really tasty result. As well, the cost is about 4000Y for 25L of beer (roughly 92Y per pint). It's also only a total of about 5 hours work... Not to mention you can make styles of beer that are not readily available here.

I got them from a Japanese website called Brewland (used to be called Sakeland). The kits themselves are only about 1800Y but if you get some extra hops and enhancer (rather than using sugar) it's closer to 4000Y. You can also buy all of the equipment necessary to make a quality beer.

I got them from a Japanese website called Brewland (used to be called Sakeland). The kits themselves are only about 1800Y but if you get some extra hops and enhancer (rather than using sugar) it's closer to 4000Y. You can also buy all of the equipment necessary to make a quality beer.

Sounds interesting...space wise what are you looking at? I mostly mean after it's brewed do I have to put all of it in the fridge?

It's on my to do list.......currently got another batch of bacon ready to go.

Have even been thinking about making my own cheese as well

Aye, knob cheese I bet. ;) Heard you got lots of that to go around!

In all seriousness, is it difficult to make?

Sounds interesting...space wise what are you looking at? I mostly mean after it's brewed do I have to put all of it in the fridge?

While the beer is brewing you need a place to put a 30L tank where it won't be disturbed for a few weeks (also out of the light with a regulated temp). I'm using space in one of my closets where I keep my camping gear. As for the beer itself, I bottle it into 48 500ml bottles. The bottles don't need to be put in the fridge until just before you want to drink them. They just need to be out of the sunlight. Apparently they will keep for as long as 6 months but since I'm sharing the cost (and beer) with 2 friends I doubt it will ever last that long. You can also do much smaller batches for your personal use.

It's on my to do list.......currently got another batch of bacon ready to go.

Have even been thinking about making my own cheese as well

Aye, knob cheese I bet. ;) Heard you got lots of that to go around!

In all seriousness, is it difficult to make?

knobcheese? no, just don't wash "under the hood for a day or two"

that was another thing I had planned to do....did a little research for it as well but then I found out that the supermarket in Terrace Mall sells them...much easier to buy em there :D

How much are they?

Do they make chilli pickled onions?

that was another thing I had planned to do....did a little research for it as well but then I found out that the supermarket in Terrace Mall sells them...much easier to buy em there :D

How much are they?

Do they make chilli pickled onions?

About 300¥ for a jar. No chilli ones.....that sounds good

My brother does a bit of this, seems to have periods when he's well into it and then when he gets fed up with the hassle.

Never really appeals to me though actually some of the stuff he has made has been quite tasty.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha. I'm actually sharing them with a couple of friends. They pitched in on the equipment costs. The smell of the IPA was actually quite pleasant, like baking bread (which I do a couple of times a week anyway ;) ). Also, Mrs. BM is ok with it. I promised that I would make her a specialty beer after a few batches. She doesn't really drink beer but I'm going to make her a raspberry beer to see if she'll convert.