Hey guys

first post today. Great forum...I cant wait to come and ski Japan :)

So, myself and a friend are thinking about hiring a campervan for 2 months to drive around and visit a few ski resorts this winter.

Has anyone else done this? Any tips would be much appreciated?

Are you allowed to camp in carparks or on the side of the road in Japan? specifically at ski resorts... does anyone else do this?

Also any must see destinations that are a bit out of the way would be cool.

Thanks

leeds_skier

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ya...There are good and bad points with every rig. Set up and tear down are about 10 minutes each way. And you leave all your bedding in there so they are always made up. Big negatives for me are t

Japanese for camper van is キャンピングカー

Rental is レンタル

Good luck searching but campervans aren't common. I guess that hiring a regular car and staying in lodges/inns would be cheaper.

I've slept in my car a couple of times. If you're a little discrete you can pretty much 'camp' anywhere for free but of course the cost of renting the camper-van sounds high. On the other hand, you can easily find comfortable accommodations for 5000 yen or less, including a meal or two.

I had a camper van until I traded it in on the LandCruiser I have now. That was about 5 years ago. So, yes I've done my share of camping/driving/camping throughout Japan. Should you happen to find a rental it's pretty easy to park for free at "michi no ekis".....which are service areas on regular roads. They always have bathroom facilities and many have onsens as well.

I however, do agree with the others that it might be wise to think about just finding cheap lodgings. Certainly, not as exciting but definitely more comfortable.

Thanks for your reply's.

I actually already have a quote for a campervan.

So for 52 days rental of a 6 berth camper it works out at 10,974 yen a day.

That will be shared between 2 of us for the majority of the time, and should be just about enough room for us with all our skiing gear.

Is that a lot of money for Japan? It doesn't seem to be for me when I convert it to pounds.

Well one thing to bare in mind is that campervans are meant for the warm season, not for snow, so you may find it difficult to drive in the snow and if like the one I used when I was in Australia is rear wheel drive it may be a bit of a handful.

Alhough roads are bulldozed and kept fairy clear, in the snowy areas especially off the beaten track you may find yourself getting stuck .

Just another thing for you to consider.

Yes Snowdude....There is that. It's the main reason I got rid of my van. I had new snow tires on it ... with chains and I'd still get stuck. One morning I was sitting on an incline when stopped on my local mountain pass and the damned thing started sliding backwards all on it's own. Freaked the hell out me. It stopped after about a 10 ft slide and didn't hit anything so I was lucky. If it weren't for crappy winter performance I would have kept it.

It was a lot fun otherwise and I had quite a bit of time invested in it as I bought it new as a "1" number ...camperized it myself and registered it as an "8" number.

I would think that you can stay at most resort parking lots just fine. If you make it to Hakkoda you can park next to the guy that spends two months out of the year camping there on his minivan.

If you make it to Hakkoda on your way to Hokkaido send me a PM. I'm up there about twice a week, I'll be happy to show you around.

In addition to what snowdude pointed out, I don't imagine the insulation on a standard rental campervan would be much use on a cold January night in somewhere like Asahikawa. You'd probably have to spend a bit to winterize the van before setting off.

Andrew from Japan RV rental kindly found the quote for me.

I did specifically ask about snow tyres which in response he said-

"Snow tires are fitted to the vehicle during winter months."

But after Chriselle's comments I might invest/rent a pair of snow chains as well when we arrive to be safe.

A few more details about the quote.....

"50% discount is applied for the rental over a month.

570,675 JPY (Original price 1,141,350 JPY) From Oikos Rental

For 8 people to ride, 6 people to sleep ( Might be a bit tight with six people sleeping together though.)"

MagSeven, as for the cold, I checked and the camper has a gas heater so we'll be able to keep warm at least, but just as Chriselle mentions above I did wonder if the toilet might freeze up. But at least it wont smell then :)

Thanks for the info yamabushi. We will certainly give you a shout when/if we make it up to Hakkoda. That was one of the areas we were hoping to visit! Sounds great.

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi leeds_skier and welcome.

Firstly, apologies there was an issue with your account, but I have sorted it out now. So you should be ok to post now.

Regarding the question you had about posting links, please (re)check our the guidelines here ( coz I'm sure you read them thoroughly when you signed up ;) )

http://www.snowjapan...nes-the-basics/

Thanks and have fun!

It slept 5 I suppose but we never used the back bed that went across the kitchen space. The front bed folded down to a respectable 210cm x 175cm ...so enough for two adults and toddler. That IS your best one yet Pie Eater.... :sj-lol: :thumbsup:

IMG_1875.jpg?t=1347578201