OK so we are complaining about hot and heat and then they go and announce that the first snow has fallen on top of Mount Fuji.... or am I misunderstanding the below?

甲府地方気象台は12日、富士山の初冠雪を観測したと発表した。

昨年より12日、平年より18日早い。

同日午前8時頃、山頂付近がうっすらと雪で白くなっているのを、甲府市内の同気象台から複数の職員が目視で確認した。

富士山頂付近では11日夜に雨が降り、12日午前4時に氷点下0・1度を観測するなど、冷え込んでいたという。

I closed the window for the first time in months when I hit the sack last night. It was 19C in the room. It hit 15C outside this morning.

1000m is 6C or so, so yeah, it would have been freezing at the top of Fuji.

With it sunny today, I doubt the snow'll last very long though.

Fuji is covered in clouds so cant see, but if snow has fallen up there then it is i think at least a week earlier than last year which was already earlier than average, will check my records after.

I am a little surprised as the freezing level was sitting around he 4500m mark last night but I guess that is lw enough to snow!

Ok I just checked, last year the first snow on Mount Fuji was on the 24th Sep, which was 6 days earlier than average. As it snowed today, that is 18 days earlier than average.

For the past 4 years the first snow on Mount Fuji has been getting earlier and earlier!

Fuji is pretty damned high rach. Not that much below 4,000m. At that latitude in many parts of the world that high up would have permanent snowfields and possibly glaciers. At 3,776m depending on wind direction and humidity it would be possible to reach close to 30 degrees in Tokyo and still get some snow falling on the peak.

Reminds me of when I went skiing in India some years back. Down on the plains in Delhi it was getting up over 40 degrees when we arrived. A few days later we were camping in a valley in the Himalayas (at around the same height of Fuji) on snow. We got some funny looks in Delhi walking around with skis on our packs in over 40 degrees though.