Not dissing but I tried it today and I gotta say it wasn't that fun. I compare it to body boarding a shore break at a place you could SURF big waves.

Today was only my first time. Like I said, this isn't a diss. I'd love to hear pro's and con's of the 1/2pipe.

Domo!

Nope. I have done it about 2 times. Second time (with Fattwins etc in Happo) I jarred my head so hard that I wanted to sit down for half the day. I really don't enjoy half pipe which is odd as I can surf and when I was a kid I could do skater 360's on a 10 foot metal half pipe, get easy 3' of air, rail slide the entire copping, heaps of stuff.

My problem with a snow half pipe is that they are too hard & icy: I can't gouge my edge on the wall like you can a surfboard on a steep wave face, so I have heaps of problems riding up and down the face

The second issue is that I like to approach the wall at a 90 degree angle to the lip, not 45-55 degrees. On a skate half pipe you ride up the wall at 90 degrees to the lip, so no need for an edge gouge.

I like a soft qtr pipe that I can head into at 90. Or I like a 'natural' half pipe or wall that is soft and allows me to ride along it and then turn up it to pop air with the fall line (like the embankments you often get on the side of a cat track. They are great for surfing along then popping 2' airs)

Park half pipes don't let me do any of that, so I cant ride them.

I had a bit of fun at a half-pipe in Niigata. Can't remember which resort it was. They had the main half-pipe out on the main hill, it was well-made, big and always packed with good riders. Didn't feel like riding there.

Next to the hotel though was a nice dinky little pipe for the beginners. It's own lift right next to it, and everyone riding it were even worse than me. The edges were soft and it was quite easy to ride. You don't feel so bad when everyone is taking dives in the bottom of the pipe. Best place to learn.

half pipe is fun. remember to pump the walls drop in soft and get low while going up the wall.

Start slow and dont pop too much. find out what the wall will give you. If you pop too hard right away youll end up back in the middle of the pipe ouch. not enough and you end up, up top and or clipping the top and crashing ill explain more later.

I enjoy getting in the half-pipe. Lately I am improving and can even catch some air in it. I still prefer natural banks though. I wanna practice some more riding the pipe and the park, so if anyone is interested to ride with me just PM please!

Pipe and park are post-powder season activities to me, but I enjoy it. Actually I like the pipe better than park.

Rushing into the wall hoping you go high, actually barely making it to the coping. Sometimes getting some air other times too much, try to grab and rotate. Yeah there is still a lot to learn here.

man i ramped a prefect pipe at dyna today. busting huge out of it. crew there doing flat 5s and flairs pretty sic. The down side was that they closed it at 1pm to keep it smooth for a half pipe contest next week. the 4Frnt team is coming.