I live on the 3rd floor of a share house and this morning heard someone knocking on a housemate’s door along my corridor, which was nothing unusual so thought nothing more of it. Then there was a knock on my door so I opened it to find a policeman standing there. I was a little surprised (as I guess he was, faced by a semi-naked foreigner) because our main door is self-locking, so you can only get inside if you know the code or someone lets you in.

Anyway, he showed me his ID and asked me to write down my details on one of a bunch of A4-sized cards he was holding. From what I could gather from my limited understanding of nihongo, he was going around the neighbourhood compiling a list of all the residents, as opposed to searching for something or someone, which was my first thought. It seemed legit, so I gave him my details, namely my name, dob, keitai-bango, employer's name and address and how long I'd lived at the house. Then he continued on down the corridor, asking for the details of the other (Japanese) housemates and no-one seemed to object, so I guess it was nothing unusual.

However, this is the first time in 3 years that I’ve experienced this, so wondered if anyone else has encountered the same or similar?? :wakaranai:

Yes police officer came to our house last year actually asking for the same. it is perfectly normal, and they ask everyone not just foreigners.

It is so they know who is in the area and who belongs where, for safety more than anything.

He was very friendly in fact and we even had a good long chat.

You can politely (coz that's how we do things around here) deny their request to take down information. From what I understand, the police used to just get all of that information from the city hall until it was deemed unconsitutional under Japanese law. So now they go door to door, but you are not obliged to answer any of their questions... because it's unconstitutional... strange, ne.

Thanks for the replies guys - sounds as though it's legit! :thumbsup:

Sure it was a real policeman?

Might not hurt to check with the local koban.

I would definitely report anyone who wants to take down your particulars! ;)

Had my friendly officer been a woman, I might have invited her in so she could have taken them down for herself! :evilgrin:

This all reminds me of when I was living up in Hokkaido. Every other week a Jehovas Witness would come around. Usually I'm very polite and just say no thank you .......but not to this witness. She was GORGEOUS!! We had many a flirty conversation at my door. Then one day she asked if she could bring a friend along next time. I reluctantly said..sure.

Well the next week she shows up with her friend and guess what......She was GORGEOUS, too!! .... Oh, the thoughts that went through my mind with these two hotties standing at my door... :wub: ...... :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: