Can someone in the know tell me --- are Alts Bandai and Nekoma actually connected (ski runs), or is it just the ticket they share?

And can you drive between the two (doesn't look like you can on the maps) or would you need to go all round if you wanted to drive from one to the other?

Thanks, pop quiz fans!

:)

Can someone in the know tell me --- are Alts Bandai and Nekoma actually connected (ski runs), or is it just the ticket they share?

And can you drive between the two (doesn't look like you can on the maps) or would you need to go all round if you wanted to drive from one to the other?

Thanks, pop quiz fans!

You can't ski between the two, at least not legally, I believe. (I think you could backcountry it from Alts to Nekoma, though not the other way around without a bunch of hiking.) In any case, they certainly don't advertise any such route.

In the winter the road over the pass between the two is closed, so you have to drive all the way around Mt. Bandai to get from one to the other. There is also a shuttle bus between the two.

Thank you Metabo Oyaji!

They seem quite reluctant to even clearly explain the lift ticket link up they have even on their websites.

Im still can't work it out if the ticket is valid at both or not, and that's looking at the original Japanese.

Anyway, thanks again.

They seem quite reluctant to even clearly explain the lift ticket link up they have even on their websites.

Im still can't work it out if the ticket is valid at both or not, and that's looking at the original Japanese.

It's not the clearest, is it?

I read it that a day pass, or half-day pass, is only valid at one or the other, not both.

Day and half-day ticket prices are different at each area.

The "11-point" set of single-ride tickets, though, is valid at either one.

As a practical matter, splitting one day between both areas would be a bit of a waste of on-hill time,

given the travel time between them.

As for season tickets, looks like you can get either a single-area pass or a joint one.

It's as if they intentionally hold back on providing info. Question is why would they do that? If they don't want to tie up, don't tie-up.

Still makes me laugh how some ski resorts whip down their websites, complete with all information, for the summer. Numbskulls!

MO, is Alts going to open up proper this season after being half closed last time?

No, looks like they are still keeping 4 lifts idle, with the left-hand third of the mountain shut down again this year, along with a semi-redundant lift in the bowls. Though they are bringing back regular Saturday night nighters, it seems. Also no indication that they will be closing the upper bowl on weekdays the way they did last season. No indication of reduced operations at Nekoma this year, either. So on the bright side, partial improvement perhaps, at least.

Note that this year they are no longer blaming electricity shortages for the lift shut-downs, but simply generic "effects of the disaster."

You doing the Gandeco thing again?

I'm sure I will ski there, but don't know if I will do the season pass thing again. Lack of free highways this year means I probably won't be able to keep up the same pace as last year, and if I were to manage it, I might like to try a season somewhere else for a change. The Alts/Nekoma joint season pass actually looks pretty appealing, as does the Adatara Kogen one (with tie-ups to Minowa and Numajiri). Maybe even Inawashiro, which also offers a discount at Grandeco. But if the kid is insistent enough (the kid loves Grandeco), who knows?

Sorry to leave it mysterious like that. Having some kind of problem posting the quote.

(Have contacted the site owners, and am sure it will clear it up in a jiffy.)

Basically, they just vaguely mention "effects of damage from the earthquake disaster."

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi there, I have just checked and we don't seem to be having any server issues at the moment Metabo Oyaji.

Will take a more in depth look tomorrow if you are still experiencing any problems.

:friend:

Sounds like a 'we enjoyed not losing quite as much dosh last season, and wish to do the same this next season' kind of thing.

Yes, it seems quite possibly a rationalization of service that was overdue in any case.

PS -- thanks for getting the quote inserted into my post 5 posts back, SJ-D.

Never went to Alts before last season, so I am just guessing from their actions, but it seems like they considered the left third of the Alts side to be redundant with the Nekoma side. In that both specialized in serious park features (though Nekoma doesn't have a super pipe). Last year they basically said on their web site that they were focusing on serving serious park riders on the Nekoma side, and other types of customers on the Alts side. Seems a rational approach to me, actually, given that both ski areas are now owned by the same company. Otherwise they are just competing with themselves.