After coming back from two weeks in Canada I had to go shopping to restock the fridge. Is it just me ... or do you guys ( and gals) get really depressed grocery shopping in Japan??

I have such a blast in the supermarkets back home.....hundreds of kinds of cheeses, breads of every grain, fruits and veggies up the ying-yang, all the bulk food bins..nuts, dried fruits etc.. , the meats...oh the meats!! The deli.....what a selection. I counted 14 different kinds of hummus.

Then back to Japan....you can imagine my disposition yesterday while perusing the fine selection of quality breads, plethora of exotic cheeses, mountains of fresh fruits and veggies and the meats...oh the meats :sadface:

Just food for thought.

Yes I just tend to go a bit wild the first week or so of being home.

Chriselle, you need to refer to the "Jogging" thread and perhaps the "Gambarimasho" thread.... ;)

After coming back from two weeks in Canada I had to go shopping to restock the fridge. Is it just me ... or do you guys ( and gals) get really depressed grocery shopping in Japan??

I have such a blast in the supermarkets back home.....hundreds of kinds of cheeses, breads of every grain, fruits and veggies up the ying-yang, all the bulk food bins..nuts, dried fruits etc.. , the meats...oh the meats!! The deli.....what a selection. I counted 14 different kinds of hummus.

Then back to Japan....you can imagine my disposition yesterday while perusing the fine selection of quality breads, plethora of exotic cheeses, mountains of fresh fruits and veggies and the meats...oh the meats :sadface:

Just food for thought.

Bloody great isn't it.

Having said that, I'd probably have more trouble keeping in tip top shape with all those temptations constantly on offer!

Just food for thought.

Bloody great isn't it.

Having said that, I'd probably have more trouble keeping in tip top shape with all those temptations constantly on offer!

There is that. Canadians are getting pretty damned fat. The first few days I did go nuts but after that I didn't really eat much different than I do here. It's not so much that I need all that stuff but it would be nice to have to option to indulge once in a while.

definitely like that.

After about 2 weeks, I'm feeling 'slightly' larger and somewhat done with stuffing my face. Though I enjoy my meals, I'm not snacking as much. Will be ready to take a break from it soon, as great as it is.

Got to say though that I do actually enjoy having a few things that I can only get back there. It's one of the fun things of going back. But it would be great to have more choice in shops around here for sure.

That's a good way to look at it Muika. Another part of the whole anticipation of going back. And really,,, we do have a Costco within a few hours drive up in Kanagawa to go stock up on meats, cheeses and so on. :thumbsup: So, I guess it's not that bad.

Now I need a little help to find something positive about this humidity.......especially when the past 4 summers in Victoria have been absolutely PERFECT. ;)

Got to say though that I do actually enjoy having a few things that I can only get back there. It's one of the fun things of going back. But it would be great to have more choice in shops around here for sure.

It is a good point.

There seems to be less and less that I can't get easily here now, so having a few things to look forward to can't be a bad thing. If we can live without them of course.

How big is the one in Kanagawa?

Do they just have tons and tons of things I'd want to grab my hands on (as a Brit/US/Aussie)?

Would love to go and just check it out once and then decide if I want to join! :lol:

No...you just pay for the membership. We're not members because my wife always goes with her friends and one of them has a membership.

Muika... They are big warehouses like back home but they are localized with a lot of the stuff they carry. You can get huge juggs of shoyu for example. I buy lots of frozen fruits as I like smoothies in the morning. Meats are great, Massive pizzas, some breads but not great, lots of bricks of cheeses, appliances, tools..etc. Also, each store is slightly different in the products they carry.

Costco is one of those places that sounds great but has two inherent problems:

1) its easy to spend way much more than your budget and

2) you will get fat after gorging yourself on all the great food it has.

There is another wholesaler called Metro that you need to be in the food industry to join. There is a branch about 10mins from our house alas we can't join though.

And back on topic - like you Chriselle,I love grocery shopping,perhaps the only shopping I enjoy and being back in the UK and seeing supermarkets there and in Australia depressed me as the only places that comes close are Seijo Ishii or Queen's Isetan but everything is overpriced. However, am grateful for The Meat Guy. He does have some great stuff in stock.