Hey I don't really care one way or the other DiGriz. You guys can keep killings yourselves as much as you want. Go for it! It's fun for the rest of us to watch US society imploding ;)
Even the winkie face does not make that comment amusing.

I am truly saddened by senseless killing.

I feel for the families effected.

It is in no way fun, or amusing.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think to truly undersand the gravity of the situation you have to be familiar with American society. If you've spent a considerable amount of time in America, great! I'm sure you never saw a school

To me it's like someone who continually gets drunk and suffers from a terrible hangover the next day MB. They'll get no sympathy from me for their pain. In fact I'll be amused by the fact that they seem incapable of learning from their mistakes.

I can understand that sentiment GN.

But that 6 yr old little girl, and other young victims had no voice.

The contempt is misplaced. It is like hurling derision at the small child at school with dirty ill fitting clothes and matted nit infested hair. The fault is not that of the child but of the parents of the child. Admonish the person who is actually making those decisions.

The victims deserve our compassion.

MB the US averages around 40 homicides each and every single day. This event will only be a slight statistical blip in what is already an incredibly violent country. This year already there has been more than 7,000 people killed by guns alone in the US. Over 9,000 have committed suicide already using a gun. Just gets sadder and sadder doesn't it? Just be glad you weren't born there.

Sad thing is that the NRA (among others) insists on quoting the constitution where it says "the right to bear arms" is inviolable.

Unfortunately, they do NOT mention the introductory part of that quote. As an Amendment to the original constitution ...

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms.
12/15/1791.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

so, the right to bear arms is for the security of the state. Not just for the hell of it, not just because it is a right, but so that the country can be defended! And here was me thinking that the Armed Forces (including the Militia) were there for that very purpose! Silly of me, I know!

And what about the "well regulated" bit? How is a relatively easily circumvented set of rules restricting the sale of/ownership of weapons "well regulated"?

JA, the ``well regulated militia'' phrase is the core of the problem. The argument is in understanding what that phrase meant in the argot of the day. I'm really too tired to go into it but there's plenty on the Net if for some reason you're really interested. Very arcane and honestly boring stuff.

I was watching/streaming the news last night...horrible. One woman that was killed survived a Toronto mall shooting. This doesn't even seem motivated, just 'for fun'.

These random acts seem to happen alot more lately, in many countries (imo). Everyone needs to calm the F down.

Also, did you see this? The dumbing down of society:

celeb-boutique.jpg

Can't recall too many of these happening outside of the USA, norcal.

Came across this on the CBC website today.

• July 22, 2011: At least 80 people are killed at a summer camp on the Norwegian island of Utoya. A man arrested also is suspected in a blast earlier the same day in downtown Oslo that killed seven.
  • April 30, 2009: Farda Gadyrov, 29, enters the prestigious Azerbaijan State Oil Academy in the capital, Baku, armed with an automatic pistol and clips. He kills 12 people before killing himself as police close in.
  • March 10, 2009: Michael McLendon, 28, killed 10 people — including his mother, four other relatives, and the wife and child of a local sheriff's deputy — across two rural Alabama counties. He then killed himself.
  • Sept. 23, 2008: Matti Saari, 22, walks into a vocational college in Kauhajoki, Finland, and opens fire, killing 10 people and burning their bodies with firebombs before shooting himself fatally in the head.
  • Nov. 7, 2007: After revealing plans for his attack in YouTube postings, 18-year-old Pekka-Eric Auvinen fires kills eight people at his high school in Tuusula, Finland.
  • April 16, 2007: Seung-Hui Cho, 23, kills 32 people and himself on Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va.
  • April 26, 2002: Robert Steinhaeuser, 19, who had been expelled from school in Erfurt, Germany, kills 13 teachers, two former classmates and policeman, before committing suicide.
  • April 20, 1999: Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, opened fire at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., killing 12 classmates and a teacher and wounding 26 others before killing themselves in the school's library.
  • April 28, 1996: Martin Bryant, 29, bursts into cafeteria in seaside resort of Port Arthur in Tasmania, Australia, shooting 20 people to death. Driving away, he kills 15 others. He was captured and imprisoned.
  • March 13, 1996: Thomas Hamilton, 43, kills 16 kindergarten children and their teacher in elementary school in Dunblane, Scotland, and then kills himself.
  • Oct. 16, 1991: A deadly shooting rampage took place in Killeen, Texas, as George Hennard opened fire at a Luby's Cafeteria, killing 23 people before taking his own life. 20 others were wounded in the attack.
  • June 18, 1990: James Edward Pough shoots people at random in a General Motors Acceptance Corp. office in Jacksonville, Fla., killing 10 and wounding four, before killing himself.
  • Dec. 6, 1989: Marc Lepine, 25, bursts into Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique college, shooting at women he encounters, killing 14 and then himself.
  • Aug. 19, 1987: Michael Ryan, 27, kills 16 people in small market town of Hungerford, England, and then shoots himself dead after being cornered by police.
  • Aug. 20, 1986: Pat Sherrill, 44, a postal worker who was about to be fired, shoots 14 people at a post office in Edmond, Okla. He then kills himself.
  • July 18, 1984: James Oliver Huberty, an out-of-work security guard, kills 21 people in a McDonald's restaurant in San Ysidro, Calif. A police sharpshooter kills Huberty.

So... The tally then:

7 for the USA (before this one)

2 for Finland

1 for Norway

1 for Azerbaijan

1 for Australia

1 for England

1 for Germany

1 for Scotland

1 for Canadia ;)

So...if you lump Canada in with the USA that gives you the same number of shootings in the rest of the world as compared to the America/Canada stats. 8 all.

If you want Canada to remain separate then it is..... USA 7. Rest of the world combined 9

JA, the ``well regulated militia'' phrase is the core of the problem. The argument is in understanding what that phrase meant in the argot of the day. I'm really too tired to go into it but there's plenty on the Net if for some reason you're really interested. Very arcane and honestly boring stuff.

Actually been interested in this for a while ... get seriously pissed off when the gun lobby claim the "right to bear arms" as a blanket right from the constitution. Agree wholeheartedly that the phrase 'well regulated militia' is the nub of the problem, and believe that the gun lobby use the 'shall not be infringed' part of the amendment to justify what is effectively (at least to my understanding - and willing to be corrected) a free-for-all for buying guns and ammo.

Well, there are some restrictions. You can't own an automatic weapon without a federal firearms license, and I believe the background check for those is reasonably serious. Sawed-off shotguns are illegal, at least in most places.

Definitions/interpretations/arguments/rants about the ``true'' meaning of well regulated militia are all over the Net, and the phrase brings together some surprising bedfellows.

I don't have the intellectual stamina for it all, JA, but curious to hear what you think after wading through.

There was a dude on the news who was saying that these attacks only occur in places where guns are banned. And if people had been able to take their guns into the cinema, then someone would be able to shoot him down.

More guns, less crime.

He was being absolutely serious as well.

Does. Not. Compute.

It makes sense.

If we all have guns in our pockets, we could all defend ourselves when going to the cinema, or the restaurant.

As you need to in modern life, of course.

Sounds like a water-tight plan to me!

There was a dude on the news who was saying that these attacks only occur in places where guns are banned. And if people had been able to take their guns into the cinema, then someone would be able to shoot him down.

More guns, less crime.

He was being absolutely serious as well.

Does. Not. Compute.

That dude has a book out called More Guns, Less Crime. He is serious.

It makes sense.

If we all have guns in our pockets, we could all defend ourselves when going to the cinema, or the restaurant.

As you need to in modern life, of course.

Sounds like a water-tight plan to me!

Yes. Doesn't it just....

Makes me embarrassed just to hear people talk like that. Not just because of the insane idea, but the fact that people would need to have a gun in their pocket to defens themselves at the cinema.

Just so sad.