Anyone here like to eat raw liver?

If you do, you are sick!!!

Sorry just had to say it.

Last chance as they are trampling down on the raw liver menus soon.

The health ministry has decided to ban restaurants from serving raw beef liver from July 1 due to food poisoning concerns, and violators of the new rule could be fined or even imprisoned.

The ministry made the decision after its food sanitation council approved the policy at a meeting Tuesday.

Enterohemorrhagic E. coli O-157 and Campylobacter bacteria, both of which can cause severe stomachache, have been detected in raw beef liver. A research report said it is difficult to remove or kill the bacteria through screening tests or disinfection, and that liver can only be guaranteed safe to consume if it has been cooked.

Operators of barbecue restaurants and other establishments that ignore the ban on raw beef liver could be sentenced to up to two years in prison or fined up to 2 million yen.

At Tuesday's meeting, the Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry presented comments submitted by the public over the month through May 18. Although most of the 1,532 opinions were against outlawing raw liver, ministry officials insisted a ban--backed up by penalties--was necessary because there is no 100 percent safe way of eating raw beef liver.

Experts of the council accepted the ministry's opinion on the condition that the ban will be reconsidered when methods to safely eat raw liver are found.

I don't do guts....and liver is ..guts.

well its an organ....not quite guts....still not on my menu though (unless mashed up with some heart, lung and oatmeal and stuffed into a sheep's stomach!!) ;)

Well...sure.... I did get at least that much knowledge out of that BSc. Honours degree... I actually worked one summer sectioning up human organs for nursing student displays..haha.

On the streets though....It's .. "icky guts". ;)

I don't do guts....and liver is ..guts.

well its an organ....not quite guts....still not on my menu though (unless mashed up with some heart, lung and oatmeal and stuffed into a sheep's stomach!!) ;)

:lol:

No thanks.

Health authorities here in Oz tend to discourage eating raw liver, since liver is one of the "filter" organs that tends to accumulate all sorts of nasty things (like tapeworms etc) and the eating of such organs raw could easily involve you ingesting these live - and becoming infected.

As JA has said, the liver is used to filter stuff out and knowing that, has always put me off. Just like kidneys and doing dissection on them as they are defrosting. The smell of piss....

As JA has said, the liver is used to filter stuff out and knowing that, has always put me off. Just like kidneys and doing dissection on them as they are defrosting. The smell of piss....

I'll have half a pound of Urine Processor please. :yummy:

I'm not keen on kidneys in my pies either. Oh no.