Which resort is best for shopping/ sightseeing

I have just booked Rusutsu and convinced her to have another go.

I think next year though I won't get away with it.

Jan 22nd-31st if anyone is going next year.

Seemore

Have fun!

I was planning on going over in early Feb, however now the young'un will be training in Shiga Kogen end of Feb...but I won't be able to go with him as it is too close to the state election (working full time ++ by then)... Grrrrrr... Not sure when I will get over. Maybe end of March as a 'Thank God that's over' treat.

If you get the vibe you won't get away with it next year, start planning Euro for 2014 and pitch it to the wife highlighting the off snow activities. There is this awesome flying fox in Grindelwald that goes from Gondola station to Gondola station - I am terrified of heights, almost passed out with fear at the top, but it was WICKED fun! And even I (the non shopper) shopped!

Hi MB

Is Grindelwald near Zermatt?

I did a season in Interlaken loved the area.

Seemore

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very jealous seemore. I am trying to get up there again, but finances are making it hard. Did you get a good deal on flights?

Hi Surfartur

$1167 Per-Syd-Nar-Cts-Nar-Syd-Perth the flight isn't as good as direct from Perth but as long as I am on my way I will be happy.

Quantas also do Per-Hkg-Cts for a similar price but you have to o/night in Hkg and I just want to get there. Cathay do a Per-Hkg-Cts but it is a bout $600 more each.

Seemore

Seemore

If you enjoy fine dining try the Maccarina 1 Star Michelin restaurant in Makkari and a day trip to the Windsor Hotel in Lake Toya. The Michel Bras restaurant has the highest 3 Star Michelin rating.

Cheers Mike

I should really treat her and me where is Makkari and how much would a meal be roughly?

Seemore

Seemore

Have fun!

I was planning on going over in early Feb, however now the young'un will be training in Shiga Kogen end of Feb...but I won't be able to go with him as it is too close to the state election (working full time ++ by then)... Grrrrrr... Not sure when I will get over. Maybe end of March as a 'Thank God that's over' treat.

If you get the vibe you won't get away with it next year, start planning Euro for 2014 and pitch it to the wife highlighting the off snow activities. There is this awesome flying fox in Grindelwald that goes from Gondola station to Gondola station - I am terrified of heights, almost passed out with fear at the top, but it was WICKED fun! And even I (the non shopper) shopped!

Hi MB

Is Grindelwald near Zermatt?

I did a season in Interlaken loved the area.

Seemore

Not 'near' as in it is on the other side of Switzerland, but we are from Perth dude....nothing is too far away ;)

We bought a 5 day unlimited Swiss rail travel in one month pass - so for about the price it would have cost us to get the train from the airport to Zermatt and then back again as single trips we also got 3 more days of travel wherever we wanted to go within the Swiss rail network. We discovered that the World Cup ski events were being held in Wengen, so we decided to head over that way - our mate suggested Grindelwald to stay for the weekend, so we did. The trip took us through Interlaken, VERY pretty! We also took a weekend in Chamonix, another easy train journey - but we got a shuttle Chamonix to Zermatt which for the 4 of us was cheaper than the train, and meant we could leave later in the day.

Seemore

If you enjoy fine dining try the Maccarina 1 Star Michelin restaurant in Makkari and a day trip to the Windsor Hotel in Lake Toya. The Michel Bras restaurant has the highest 3 Star Michelin rating.

Cheers Mike

I should really treat her and me where is Makkari and how much would a meal be roughly?

Seemore

Makkari isn't far from Rusutsu, situated near the base of Yotei but the restaurant is not right in the town. I've been to Maccarina a couple of times with my wife for special occasions and definitely recommend it.

Dinner has two degustation type menus to choose from costing either Y7,350 or Y9,450 pp (plus service charges). They have some pretty flash accommodation options there as well if you'd like to spend the night.

Here is their english website

http://www.maccarina.../en/kaze_e.html

The Windsor is one of the more awesomely situated hotels you'll find anywhere. It's up on a ridge with The Sea of Japan on one side and Lake Toya on the other. Absolutely spectacular and there's even a couple of ski lifts. I've not stayed there though and haven't eaten at The Michel Bras. It's all really pricey. Cheapest rooms start at about $500 a night. If you really want to impress the wife though you could book the Presidential Suite for around $15,000 a night! :omg:

I'd sell my wife for $15k a night :D and think of the $ in movie rights - oh right, it's already been done.

• 2 weeks later...

you could've chosen Furano.

You hit the slopes, she does the laundry, then pops off to the chateau for wine tasting, you meet her for lunch then back to the slopes, while she goes shopping for stuff she'd cook for your dinner.

I did think about Furano and the new Vale

Nothing against the place though just didn't seem to get very much snow early on in the season last year.

I understand it is seasonal but Rusutsu just seems to deliver.

Seemore

You hit the slopes, she does the laundry, then pops off to the chateau for wine tasting, you meet her for lunch then back to the slopes, while she goes shopping for stuff she'd cook for your dinner.

<choke>

<choke>

I didn't read those sexist comments MB

There is no way I would let her go wine tasting then shopping. :friend:

Seemore

• SnowJapan Admin

'Summer Vacation soon'. I have deleted your last one, and this comment refers to not just this topic but in general.... if you only want to come here to post offensive comments, can you please refrain and take it elsewhere.

Thanks.