A new Niseko Magic feature, "Avalanche Eyes", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/niseko-magic-16.html

As the number of powder seekers grows, how many people are also considering snow safety? Snow Japan talked to Niseko's local snow scientist Luke Hanson about the increasing number of powder seekers, and whether Niseko's 'Local Rules' policy will be able to deal with the influx.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/niseko-magic-16.html

Discuss it here....

Niseko local rule would only be effective if enforced. If frigging stupids keep doing 7tra without patrol to gurd the ropes, the ones who lose out are people obeying the rules! I hope someone gets burried and the araa closed forever, except for the ones hike from Goshiki.

You hope someone gets buried. Well, that's not something very nice to wish on another is it. Are you on something IM - I can't remember you making comments like that before.

Interesting read.

It is amazing how easily slips and avalanches can occur. In Oz it isn't really spoken about, but in Niseko, it was a real danger. On the last day of boarding there i was one of the first ones to do the ungroomed Miharashi run in the morning after a good sized snowfall. The visibilty was poor, i was cruising along at the top and went straight off a wind lip and it collapsed from under me and slide for about 10m. not much i know, but it was enough to make me really realise that you aren't safe, even in bounds.

In a recent trip away (did I mention that trip?) I saw the remains of an old slab slid in the middle of a very popular steep official 'back country' area (accessible by lifts). After every heavy snow fall this spot continued to slide - I was told that the patrol blew it after every snow fall. The crazy thing was we were quite free to ride right next to it. so for educational purposes I did just that. The slide went for about 300m and was probably 30m wide (although the last 150m of its length was pretty piddly). From a distance it looked bad, but up close I was amazed by the volume of snow that had moved. I wanted to get a photo but after that the weather was so bad that this area didnt open again, so I couldnt return with my camera.

One morning the crap weather cleared for a while and I hit another area that I had stored in my 'return here when the powder hits' memory. I was the 3rd person on it. All the way up the mountain I could hear the blasting. At the top of this area there was an av danger sign, plus some tracks (the few guys that reached it before me). On my first run (it was amazing) I noticed a stain/burn mark in the snow... just as I rode over it. I then noticed the blast hole in the snow. I kept riding with a very uncomfortable feeling: I had just ridden over an av blast. For the remainder of the morning I could work out whether it was safe to ride:

a) safe to ride as the blast didn't trigger a slide, so it must be stable.

B) not safe as the blast may have almost triggered a slide, but not quite, leaving the snow very unstable.

c) not safe to ride if the patrol blast there, full stop.

DB where dod they blast that is the first time I have ever heard of balstin in japan. Ok 95 % sure that if the blast set off nothing that it is fine, but wasnt there that day. A blast on the surface looks like nothing, but it sends a shockwave through the snow pack. If it doesnt go then it is usally safe.

it was during my recent trip to switzerland.

Just about every day there was blasting. sometimes a seep long avy rumble immediately afterwards as well... not very nice when you are standing at the bottom of the slope in the heavy clouds wondering "is that coming at me?!"

I wanted to do an av course whilst there, but they had all been canceled due to bad weather (at least the outdoors component had).

I've seen brownish blast holes in the snow in Japan, just like the ones you describe.

They are normally caused by Mogski's post-prandial flatulent discharges.

I believe Mogs' gaseous effluent itself is what causes big air jumpers to flap their arms in the "rolling down the car windows" motion. They are vainly attempting to get some fresh and breathable air at the apex of their trajectory.

Going back a few posts. I did not mean to wish anyone to be killed. Duing my commute to Niseko for the last four seasons, I have seen numerous mini accidents outside of the resort boundaries. Mostly by idiots ducking rope and hitting a tree, falling, or getting stuck. And patrols do get out there risking their lives, and charge nothing. Those do not have any idea of "at your own risk" and method like Jackson simply does not work in Niseko. I just hope the access becomes so limited so only so trained and determined can get out there and rewarded.

BTW, a Canadian triggered an avalanche in Geto two weeks ago, and a friend of mine was caught in it. Fortunately, he was hospitalized just for a broken leg and my firned with minor injuries.

Fattwins,

Sorry for my non-explanation. I meant you typically do not cut if someone is below you, common sense says wait till the person get out of the way, or let him know you are dropping in.

I think he is saying his friend got minor injuries - I heard the other guy (your friend) broke some ribs

The canadian is my friend and got much more than a brocken leg

here are some bits of emails from his wife.

"Cam and I were in an avalanche on

Saturday and he is in serious condition in the

hospital in Morioka City."

"He is improving daily but he is still in the intensive

care unit. He broke both his legs between the knee

and hip (one break in each leg). He had emergency

cardiavascular surgery on Saturday night. He

permenantly damaged a major artery in his left leg and

they had to preform bypass surgery. There was a real

risk he would loose his leg and it was a very trying

experience."

" He also suffered a collapsed lung

and has a chest tube."

"He looks stronger and his blood work shows

signs of a steady recovery. He's recuperating well

from the damage to his lungs and kidneys. The

condition of his liver is still a little questionable,

but it is improving daily. All in all, the doctors

are happy with his progress after the bypass operation

and they are ready to repair his bones."

be careful

also

1 week later the hellicopter was there again collecting someone who done a similar thing but of the side of the ski field this time.

hard to think the same thing would happen twice in two weekends.

Quote:
Originally posted by jared:

hard to think the same thing would happen twice in two weekends.
Not really when you try to think that back to the last time you saw them blasting...

sorry F-twins, it was meant in good fun.

hey, you posted a site a while back.. canadian av site, could you do so again as I cant find it and would like to start reading about these things.

cheers