TOKYO —

Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda plans to hold a news conference at 6 p.m. on Friday, at which he will explain the reasons to the public why the government wants to restart two reactors at the Oi nuclear power plant in Fukui Prefecture.

Noda has said that it is necessary to restart the idled reactors whose safety has been confirmed and asked for the understanding of local authorities.

A group of regional governors, long concerned about safety at the Kansai Electric Power Co’s two reactors in Ohi, last week signaled their agreement to the restarts as a “limited” step.

Hurray!

Back to ザ nuclear!

That didn't last long did it.

I hope they have laid on some extra taps and hose pipes this time.

Just in case the water gets cut off.

I would also advise people around there to fill up their baths with water. It may be needed to cool down those "rods".

If everybody does their bit, there should be enough.

Finally some common sense - make sure the reactors are safe and get them up and running again.

Moreover, also set a limit on how many light bulks pachinko parlours can use. ;)

You want to live close to it Man? ;)

If I worked there, and it was proven to be safe, then yes.

Weren't all of the nuclear plants "proven to be safe" up until last year?

:confused:

How do you prove them to be safe? To withstand a M8 earthquake directly under them?

You want to live close to it Man? ;)

If I worked there, and it was proven to be safe, then yes.

Weren't all of the nuclear plants "proven to be safe" up until last year?

:confused:

How do you prove them to be safe? To withstand a M8 earthquake directly under them?

How do you prove anything to be safe? Test it. Get some IAEA inspectors in.

And let's be real, if there was an M8, the last thing on my mind would be about the nuclear power station, it would be making sure my family were safe.

At the end of the day regardless to whether or not it is proven to be safe, Japan sits on the ring of fire, if a m8 quake strikes directly under it I would be surprised if the building housing he reactors didnt suffer some fairly hefty damage. Plus once a 10+ metre tsunami hits it can they still guarantee its safe?

We have all this technology I sayThey bloody well put it to good use and use some safe form of power generation.

Although nuclear power was cheapest to start with since the disaster it has now become the most expdnsive form of power generation,

Stop nufleae I say!

When you've got no plan B, there should be no surprise that its back to plan A.

It would be nice to think this is an interim measure for say five years, but I doubt it to be honest.

Tell you what, these nuclear 'plants' can't be very efficient if they take 40 days to get into full swing!!

(And of course years to cool down even if you douse it in cold bath water).

My stove heater only takes about a minute to get going, and my fridge jolly well gets cold quickly too.

And my microwave oven - gets a pie hot in a matter of seconds.

Those nuclear engineers could do well to learn a lesson there, I reckon.

:grandpa:

I used to be a big supporter of nuclear power, but have to admit that the bloom is a bit off the rose now.

The long-term economics of nuclear power plants seem terrible, and as for the safety issues, well, I will confess that I had never before appreciated what an unstable equilibrium they operate at. Failures are rare, but can be extremely ugly.

Given the investment made, and economic dependence on the things, I can see an argument for temporarily running some of them while accepting the risks of another disaster, but don't feed us a line about safety, stress tests, or how some fuku-daijin is going to niramekko the darn thing into submission, with the Prime Minister taking ultimate "responsibility." (Meaning what, is he taking firehose training?)

I want to see a clear roadmap for getting rid of the things, not some daradara drift back into the pre-disaster status quo.

Let's put some real resources into solving the energy storage problem, which will make solar, wind and other renewables usable as primary power sources.

That is the path to the future, seems to me.

......with the Prime Minister taking ultimate "responsibility." (Meaning what, is he taking firehose training?)

Sadly, I don't think the firehose training would work, Metabo.

Unless perhaps it was the biggest hose ever!

Actually that would be fun - a world record whilst saving the world from green goo - got it's good points!

I used to be a big supporter of nuclear power, but have to admit that the bloom is a bit off the rose now.

The long-term economics of nuclear power plants seem terrible, and as for the safety issues, well, I will confess that I had never before appreciated what an unstable equilibrium they operate at. Failures are rare, but can be extremely ugly.

Given the investment made, and economic dependence on the things, I can see an argument for temporarily running some of them while accepting the risks of another disaster, but don't feed us a line about safety, stress tests, or how some fuku-daijin is going to niramekko the darn thing into submission, with the Prime Minister taking ultimate "responsibility." (Meaning what, is he taking firehose training?)

I want to see a clear roadmap for getting rid of the things, not some daradara drift back into the pre-disaster status quo.

Let's put some real resources into solving the energy storage problem, which will make solar, wind and other renewables usable as primary power sources.

That is the path to the future, seems to me.

I reckon nuclear power is great science but getting it work long term in a safe and cost effective way is way beyond the capability of current human society. The nuclear power we have is the result of short-term compromise on top of miscalculation on top of budget overrun on top of "we'd like some plutonium for bombs", probably with a bit of "we'd like to be re-elected" in there as well. That's not how you should go about doing something that is very complex and has multigenerational benefits and costs.

They've been fudging it and reducing the discussion to some brainless one about predicted vs. actual tsunami height, but that Tohoku coast has historically been prone to tsunamis. It was an extra dangerous place to put a nuclear power station. For the restarting issue, it doesn't mean that other coasts of Japan are equally at risk.

I think we should seriously look at generating electricity by burning Pringles.......we can also shave off a few inches of the West's bulging waistlines!

How about burning the fat off of people too? :D

I think we should seriously look at generating electricity by burning Pringles.......we can also shave off a few inches of the West's bulging waistlines!

How about burning the fat off of people too? :D

great idea!! In fact I can start it off, I have more than enough to spare :D

**not quite as much as THAT guy, mind you!