Help ipps find a skijo job (the moaning about your job thread)

The main aim is to save enough cash to cushion the shit storm thats coming when i return. Whether this means having enoug cash to retrain or better yet finally getting through my masters and onto my phd, im not yet sure - kinda depends on how much there is. But having already faced the shit storm once in 2009, i know its real and its rather massive. Failin that i just need to be in a position where i can leave japan debt free and with enough savings to land a gig in korea. I could have done it ths time around if id have prepped it all in time, but i stupidly went for the tablet/wifi deal and its gonna cost me 40,000 yen to escape the contract. Might as well stick around another year. Plus ive been paying into the pension here, so wanted a heavier lump sum when i leave than the piddly one for 6 months. I mean do you even get it back if its under 6 months? So disappointing and incredibly frustrating. Im sure getting a job wont be an issue, but it means ive got possibly two more years here instead of just one and thats honestly kinda depressing. I really thought this year was going to buy me some options again.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Certainly sounds interesting ippy!   The missing thing isn't "breasts" is it?

He'd probably given up all hope once he'd found out she was going out with a gaijin anyway!

Im afraid i never once... actually hang on, Im pretty sure i visited pittodrie for some whackaday reason when i was living in lossiemouth. I also had a flash back from a shire horse visit and the harl

no worries Ipps, like I say use it as a back up if you can't find anything. Just PM me and I'll set the ball in motion........or as you've said you already applied, if you go to the interview, let me know beforehand as you have to mention my name as the person who referred you and I have to send in a form saying my great mate who's also the bestest teacher in the whole land (after me of course) is interviewing today for a job :)

cheers dude, have an interview monday, (and possibly one tonight for a place in nagano - though eikaiwa). After that ill have a clearer idea of whats happening.

Sorry to hear about the job situation ippy! Fingers crossed it all pans out for you plus having "bottomless" Hakuba as your local resort wouldn't be a bad result either!!

The main aim is to save enough cash to cushion the shit storm thats coming when i return. Whether this means having enoug cash to retrain or better yet finally getting through my masters and onto my phd, im not yet sure - kinda depends on how much there is. But having already faced the shit storm once in 2009, i know its real and its rather massive. Failin that i just need to be in a position where i can leave japan debt free and with enough savings to land a gig in korea. I could have done it ths time around if id have prepped it all in time, but i stupidly went for the tablet/wifi deal and its gonna cost me 40,000 yen to escape the contract. Might as well stick around another year. Plus ive been paying into the pension here, so wanted a heavier lump sum when i leave than the piddly one for 6 months. I mean do you even get it back if its under 6 months? So disappointing and incredibly frustrating. Im sure getting a job wont be an issue, but it means ive got possibly two more years here instead of just one and thats honestly kinda depressing. I really thought this year was going to buy me some options again.

Apologies if the answers to these questions are further back in the post but what shitstorm are you referring to, what Masters are you doing, what Phd do you want to do and why does Korea trump Japan???

Phd is in philosophy naturally :) Cant be this wordy, meaningless and vague without the proper formal training.

Masters is same subject. It requires a masters before theyll let you on the phd.

Korea beats Japan because its more fun and i honestly love korean people.

And the shit storm is when you return to the UK after X amount of years with a bunch of stuff and have to a) set up a flat; B) pay all the upfront fees on said flat; and c) find a job in an environment that strongly relies on experience. I tell you man, its no joke out there. Then again i did return in March 2009 when the shit hit the fan and left in October the same year. But there really were no jobs out there. Even temp agencies wouldnt take you on without nursing/clerical experience. And since the only two jobs i had prior to Jet were sainsburys and being a postie, well, you know... plus im too old for an entry level graduate position, and graduates currently make up one of the key underemployed demographics out there. If youre going back, make sure you have enough cash to drop on a course or to buy you a lot of time to find decent work (or better yet, get up to date with all the key skills youll need by taking a course or two while youre here).

I think japan wants me out to be honest :) Knocked back from what was formerly a shoe-in, and honestly its my own fault. I rode my luck in japan a bit too long and the doors seem to be closing. No worries, off to thailand i reckons and catch me some clap!

I was gonna go back to the UK for a few months then back to korea, but it occurs to me that the UK will DESTROY my savings within a month, whereas i can stretch it much further in thailand. So since this is literally a "hey! lets go to thailand for a few months!" type of decision, anyone got info they can help to make this a slightly more coherent proposition? IM not really ever particularly successful whenever i try spontaneity. :)

ippy, you seem to have 'given up' on Japan.

Why, old boy?

To be honest, me and japan have never really got along. If times being called on it, im not that unhappy :)

awww, thanks dudes. Im actually right proper cheered up at the prospect of Thailand for a year or two, though. And more importantly it means i feel like i can actually blow cash on snowboarding knowing i dont have to care if ive got any saved for the UK. :p I reckon ill leave at the start of April and spend ten days riding the pipe in nozawa instead of suddenly and dramatically fleeing the country on the 20th March.