• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks familiar but cant place a name to it. Will put on my thinking cap

Tsugaike Kogen

That it is. Named after (and co-developed by the owners of) Hunter Mountain ski area in New York, USA.   Over to you, Muikabochi.

I could guess that probably defunct little area outside the first station out of the tunnel, the one before Nakazato -- but I don't recall the name and it would only be a guess, never skied there and can't say I recognize it.

Correct tokabochi!

It is indeed Tsuchitaru, once the main skijo of the Prince Group.

Here's a few more, in this first one you can see Iwappara in the distance

gallery_6744_186_62092.jpg

gallery_6744_186_76262.jpg

And now totally lifless.

Well done Tokabochi.

Edited by SJ-David
Done a bit of editing there snowjunky :)

I'm still interested to know if there was ever any truth in the story that the Prince group got the mightily small Tsuchitaru just so that they could build a road connection from part of the Kanetsu through the mountain directly to Naeba.

Sounds iffy, but heard it from a few people over the years.

I hadn't heard that, Muika, but Seibu did have some pretty ambitious plans for expansion, including linking Naeba-Manza-Yakebitai.

Story is that it all went south when proposal to build the downhill course for Nagano Olympics at Mt Iwasuge got rejected, as that apparently was the key piece to the plan.

Just took a look and it's 11km from Tsuchitaru to Naeba, or about 8 to the Mitsumata base.

Edited by DiGriz

長野オリンピックの招致活動が始まった当初、滑降の競技会場は志賀高原にある岩菅山が予定されていた。しかし、岩菅山はスキー場開発の進んだ志賀高原で数少ない手つかずの山であったため、長野県自然保護連盟などが自然保護を訴えて運動を行った。1972年の札幌オリンピックでは恵庭岳の山腹を広範囲に渡って伐採して滑降競技場を設営し、「オリンピックによる自然破壊」と非難された前例もあったことから、長野県は1990年4月に岩菅山の開発を断念することになる。かわって会場とされたのが既存のスキー場である白馬八方尾根スキー場であった。

Interesting.

So Happo was a back up plan.

So Happo was a back up plan.

Rumor then was the Downhill would provide Seibu with a foot in the door to develop a whole new skiopolis on Iwasuge, linking it up with Naeba. Someone showed me an illustration map that had Kagura-Naeba-Shiga-Manza all linked in a Dragondola-style network, though I don't remember if it had been produced by Seibu. Then again, Japanese companies are always coming up with grandiose plans for elevators to the moon, 5,000-story condominiums, etc.