Your most embarrasing incident on the slopes - post 'em here

I was out there in spring once, t-shirt, jeans and all for a fun day on the groomers. I'd been putting on a bit of weight over winter. Bent down for some reason, pick something up or something.

Jeans split down the middle.

So I had to get back from the very top of the mountain with my jeans completely split showing off me bum, boxers and thighs.

It was very embarrasing, but funny looking back.

I've slimmed down a bit since then.

first time out this season, my bindings were all wrong and i was having the worst day. every time i tried to turn onto my toe edge i fell and banged my knee in the same spot. after a particularly harsh run, i realized my knee looked like it had a baseball growing out the side of it. i was still pretty high up the mountain and didn't want to board down and risk injuring it more, so i had to get patrol to help me down. so embarassing to ride down a lift and to be on the back of a ski mobile riding up a run with the siren wailing and everyone staring at you. even worse to admit to the partollers that it's not your first day.

On my first day out in Hakuba, one of my wife's friends started staring at my setup. It was my first board and my first time to use it. Faking some knowledge and attempting some modesty, I added that the bindings were just cheap ones. Anyway, the girl kept looking at it and then said

"You've got the left and right ones on the wrong way round. The buckles go on the outside".

Later that season, I managed to slip climbing the steep bank that serves as a short cut between the Goryu carpark and the gondola. I whacked my board into my face, cutting my lip in the process. It was my first "boarding injury".

Kinda similar to nekobi's story.

This was a fair while ago, back i used to ski. I would have been 13 or so. It was a family trip to the snow. Anyway, we had just finished lunch, and had been sitting around waiting for it to digest. After this we headed up a t-bar, i started feeling really really sick. I said to my mother that i didn't feel up to doing this run, but she said, nah you'll be fine. So i went up the lift. By the time i got to the top of the lift i could not move because of the cramps and pains in my stomach. I was feeling like death. Wound up having to get put in onew of the those sled things and skiied down the mountain by patrol. No sirens though! \:D

My Belligerent hybrid 'step-in/strap' bindings were a lasting embarrassment to me. Not only did they take longer to do up than the worst strap bindings, they kept coming undone in deep powder. I had to put up with all manner of unkind comments about my w#nky bindings holding everybody up.

They looked like a good idea in the shop...

snapping a ligament in my knee and getting put in the stretcher and skied down the mountian like a dead woman - even worse than that it was a resort I was working at, my day off and I was living in the same dorm as everyone there. Oh the shame

man...

I thought I had forgotten about my embarrasing moments...and now they have resurfaced...

I was in high-school...just transfered from the mid-west to the east coast, no friends...joined the ski club...had no gear, and the rental gear was the worst I have ever seen...anyone ever been in toe-entry bindings for skiis??? I didn't think so....

anyway, went up for my first run, kept stepping out of the binding...couldn't figure out why...the embarrasing part was riding down the steepest slope (which is not much...we are talking new jersey here...), fell on my face 3 times, right under the lift...check the binding, realize they are literaly cracked in half (damn rentals!), so I had to hike down the mtn...right under the lift...full of immature high school kids...I leave you to imagine the kind of ridicule I had to bear...one of the longest walks of my life... \:\(

danz

when I was a kid at Mt Hutt NZ, there was a steep bowl that my friends and I stopped at and admired, it was too steep for me to ski down and while I was looking I dropped my pole down it. so clever me took off my skiis and tried to crawl/step down to retrieve it, but ended up sliding to the bottom, then tried to climb up but kept sliding back down.....all of this under the triple chair....with dozens off people laughing at me

Quote:
Originally posted by danz:
...full of immature high school kids...

i resent that comment!

when i was really young (7 or so) i use to go on these father daughter ski trips to jindabyne and thredbo. i was skiing with family friends and the chair lifts were the type that you have to jump off at the right moment, meanwhile they continue up the mountain and then turn around. i was a young'un and was too scared to jump off (it was scary for a 7 year old ;\) ) so i continued up the mountain. it took two patrol people to get me off that lift.

Wiping out on a perfectly groomed gentle slope, with hardly anyone around, no obstacles, no trees, lovely soft snow - and hitting a Japanese lady after my 200+ meter fall. Luckily she only had a bruised head, it could have been much worse.

It wasn't the fact that I wiped out - just that I did it in a very unlikely place and hit the only other thing on the hill.

I committed the unforgivable…… my board became a run-away board. It could have been a lot worse:

a) someone could have been hurt,

B) my board could have missed the thing that stopped it and gone for about 1.5kms into no mans land, never to be found (at least not without hours of tracking it in waist deep powder).

I had a little crash at the first pylon of the chair lift (just in front of the lift queue) and had to take off my board to walk out of the flat powder I ended up in. All I did was just put my board in front of me on the snow and it slid a little distance, a few feet. I thought it would be ok. Then inch by inch it kept going, slowly. I still thought I would catch it. It then reached the piste, I thought “oh dear, this isn't good”. People in the lift line and on the lift could see me and my board, skiers on the lift were saying things in German to me. It sounded like abuse (but German always does), I felt like an idiot. The board kept going and ran right down into the little hut that houses the mounting point for the chair lift. I had to walk right down under where the people laden chairs come out of the lift shelter and get my board, right in front of the whole queue of people. It could have been worse.

Never again will I let go of my board, ever. That sickening feeling as it slowly moved out of reach is still with me.

db

mmm... i have a couple...

a fun embarresment... drew had just gone off a jump in niseko (swing run) and i had gotten suck in the powder after taking photos that i decided to bumslide down the slope in knee deep powder... i got to the bottom after a bit of hassel very fun... i stood up and i had a Snow Dangley! to those to dont know... a snow dangaley is well there was a peice of hair (i have long hair -head hair- so it ends up falling out all over the place) attached to the crotch of my pants with a chuck of snow dangeling from the hair.... ah... funny moment! if it were in front of anyone but drew i would have been awfully embarrest!

i had never ever been boarding before more so i had never been to the snow before (last year...) the first day out on the slopes spanky new gear... i didnt have belt didnt think i'd need one... i stacked so much i ended up drenched... my legs wet from snow, i had stacked under the quad lift at perisher and some random guys threw snowball at me... so embarrasing! but my buddy yelled out some nasty nasty things for me!.... shocker..!

Working a lift at sun peaks, a big piece of ice fell off the roof, and crunched me and my knee.

Stopped the lift from my knees people got off the chair and got on the chair screaming " The lifties down! the lifties down!" STayed in a sitting position at the top of the lift till patrol took me down the lift. Knee just went blue thank god.

Losing a ski in pow loking for 5 mins and then...

A lady comes by and says " whats wrong" I say "my ski I cant find it". She says "is it that one down there"? Low and behold 100 fett down the run ,the ski is standing up agaisnt a tree. The binding break was broken.

when i was learning and i fell over on those lifts that you put a round piece of plastic under your bum they had to stop the entire lift and a siren went off. thats always embarassing.

also when they did stop the lift, it started up again with a sudden jerk which consequently caused many more people to lose balance and fall over.

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
People in the lift line and on the lift could see me and my board, skiers on the lift were saying things in German to me. It sounded like abuse (but German always does
Ah, german cursing. I know it well, unfortunately.

Five or six years ago I went on a daytrip to Switzerland with my (now ex)girlfriend. We went with a skiclub, which means waking up at 5am and suffer a 2+ hours trip on a lousy bus. I hated that. But what I hated more was the conditions of the slopes that day: it was april, so it was super-icy, with rocks here and there. Terrible. Matter of fact, we were the only ones there. After a couple of hours I was really depressed and I wanted to go home. But we had to wait for all the people of the skiclub. So I began thinking alternative ways to have fun and... er, my girlfriend didn't like the idea of "having fun" in the gondola (I thought it was a great idea \:D ), so we found a closed piste (it was all ice and grass, no snow), went there and headed towards a bunch of trees to... have some privacy. When it was time to go to the bus, we climbed back, but when I was on the top of the closed piste I slipped and felt. And felt. And felt. Faster and faster. After some seconds of slipping at the speed of light I thought "I'm in deep shit. If I hit a rock or my board hits me, I'm done". But after some rebounds on the ice, I stopped and said "geez, that was scary. thank god I'm safe". Then I realized that my left shoulder was basically in the middle of my chest. I tried to put my board on to reach the bottom of the slopes, but I had too much pain. I tried putting my shoulder on his original position (hey, they always do that at Hollywood)... no way. So my girlfriend went to call the ski patrol.
When they arrived I thought "great, finally some help". Not a chance. They didn't even ask how I was feeling and started cursing in german because I was off-piste. "You cannot snowboard here, the piste is closed, it's dangerous, you're an idiot...". After 2 minutes of that, I exploded: "I wasn't snowboarding, mfers. I didn't even have my board on. I was walking after..." then I stopped and looked at my girlfriend and she became completely red. A moment of silence and then all the patrollers started laughing hard. Even when they were taking me down with the toboggan (sp?), I remember they were laughing... and laughing... and laughing...

db's it was the only way out for me! there was no way i was going to be able to strap in! and trecking down the mountain wouldnt have been any fun...!

trust me a boy shouldnt try bumsliding in deep snow cause i'd imagine it might hurt a little. the whole gravity thing....! smashy smashy!

yup...vernon valley...great gorge...

I think they changed the name of it now...and its been "developed" even more...

ahhh, the memories...

you from around there??

danz

A very long time ago in the days of flourescent wear and super long straight skis, I got on a T-bar at Mt. Hutt, NZ(for those who don't know what this is imagine a T upside down that you slide under your butt and ride to the top) with a girl. She slipped on about the thrid pylon out of about 10 or so, I got thrown of balance and slipped, she fell off and I fell off but maganged to grab hold of the T-bar. I decided to hold on for dear life cause I wanted to get to the top no matter what. So here I am hanging off a T-bar, butt poked out like I am prepping for a fart, rolling on up the hill entire hill and lift line watching and laughing. That lift ride seemed to take forever and the pain in my forearms lasted a good week.

Ah the innocence of youth.

Danz: Yeah, I grew up in Central NJ (Bernardsville). Used to go to Vernon Valley back in the day when they had a Playboy Resort there (never stayed there, mind you). The surface there was deadly icy whenever I went and there were busloads of NYC schools dumping dangerous kids on the slopes.

Also went a few times in the summer when it became "Action Park". They had cement bobsled chutes running down the mountain that you rode on a little piece of plastic with a handbrake. There was nothing to keep you on the track and the only safety measure was some haybales at the sharp corners. Might be a good idea for some Japan resorts to add some summer revenue?