I like!

Really enjoyed using the 85mm, that was very nice.

70-200mm was also very nice.

Well, they should be really shouldn't they. ;)

I had a quick go on the 300mm but not for long, a bit large felt a bit silly really somehow - and the place we were at didn't really fit for a 300mm.

But I definitely need more reach than the 24-70mm like I said before, but haven't decided what to do there yet.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

Definitely. I probably shouldn't have been but first time I put the 24-70 on I was like -- is that all?!

I think I will eventually get the 70-200mm to complete 'the three', though I will need to save a few pennies there.

In the meantime I can always 'crop' if I want with all that data, but I don't really want to be cropping to get my long distance shots as a rule, I want to frame and actually take the photos that I want. I get a lot of enjoyment out of doing that in the camera.

After having and enjoyed the 18-200mm when I had it and it providing me with good results, I am still kind of tempted by the FX equivelant 28-300mm one for the reach and all-round versatility. After all, the 18-200mm was until recently the lens I used most.

Hmmmmm, what to do. What you think? Am I just getting a bit snobby by shunning that one now. :confused:

Ken certainly thinks so: "It's time to dump all our other lenses in the river. Except for some dedicated purposes, like shooting action in dim light where VR can't help and where fast, fixed lenses still rule, this 28-300mm replaces everything for most shooters".

Anyone got any salt? ;)

I was tempted to suggest that, esp. if you're finding switching lenses to be a pain, but thought against it because I probably stick my oar in more than enough already.

The 24-70 won't be in the holy trinity thingy for nothing, so use it and see how much you like it. I know its F2.8, but the sweet spot of the lens might be what it gives you at F4 or F5.6 for example. The 85mm 1.4 certainly isn't all about what it does at 1.4. This past weekend, I took some macro sakura photos with my Fuji camera at F2.0 and all I got was sharpish flowers resting on pink puke (!) The more gradual blur in the (single) shot I took at 5.6 was much nicer. Of course, if you do end up switching to the 28-300, you won't have any lingering lust for the 24-70 despite what anyone says because you'll know it didn't suit what you want to do. No doubt, some other gear will take its place in the wish list.

With the D800 having such a massive step-up in resolution, I don't think it was a mistake to go with a high quality lens to start with though. Lots of folks seem concerned about the sensor potentially outresolving lenses.

I think I will give it a miss. I've started on one road I think I want to stay on it.

Hey stick those oars in, I like them!

The Fro (Jared Polin) doesn't seem too up on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8gF8rlLjJU

I have been watching a fair bit of his vids recently, I quite enjoy watching him talk actually and he often talks a lot of sense. I think the first one I saw was a bit of a joke one and I was like "who is this dude"?!

Less salt needed than with Ken, that's for sure.

He has actually helped me get started on RAW properly - those new pics from GW were all from RAW files.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rj155IDE9U

He is quite fun actually, I enjoy watching his vids.

Going through a real :doh: moment here as I discover and learn more about RAW files, later than I should have done. Not as immediate as JPGs and time consuming, especially at this end of the learning curve, but I like what you can do with them.

:thumbsup:

With RAW+JPEG, you can have pretty much the advantages of both. My Fuji camera does really nice jpegs, and especially filtered b+w ones. You get an often very usable b+w shot at no risk because all the colour is still there in the raw. It also seems easier to check sharpness in camera with a b+w shot. My kids are moving targets, so they'll often move out of focus. With a wide aperture, a few cm is all it takes.

Since getting my new camera, I've been messing about more with my old dslrs too. Like yourself, I guess its a general boost in interest from getting a new camera.

Yes I have it on RAW+JPEG for now.

Just stuck some more up from yesterday, another lovely day out. Had a good mess about with things. Said it before but my computer is really struggling with these files. I can see it being really quick with a nice new fast computer, but it's actually really frustrating at the moment. Any slight change and computer goes into 'thinking mode' for however many seconds. I haven't cropped any of this lot as I need to get doing something else today!

Can't wait to get that new photo computer hopefully soon.

The 14-24mm lens is just so sexy. The images that come out from that are just so yummy. It even looks sexy! :lol:

Love the pics, muikabochi. Makes me all the more excited about getting mine.

Which will be.... er, no-one knows.

Have you heard the latest fiasco about amazon.co.uk cancelling all order - mine included. Looks like re-instated now.

It's a real mess.

:(

I haven't heard about it, but I guess that means canceling orders at the pre-increase price?! If that's the case, they should be ashamed of themselves. I guess with the warranty situation, you can't buy one overseas either.

Hope you get one soon!

Thanks.

I'm kind of "over" the checking-amazon-every-day thing now and just trying to forget about it as there's not much I can do!

Stoopid question ahead!

Camera A, 36 mp.

Camera B, 12 mp.

Take a pic on both and resize it to 800px.

Will I see a big difference on an old monitor vs, say, a new iPad?

If that makes sense.....

No, I don't seem to have any issues. I have tried checking left hand side focus points and they seem to work as they should.

I think there seems to be some trolls as well as people not using their stuff correctly. Maybe.

But anyway I don't seem to have any problems at all.

Can open the RAW files in Photoshop Elements now as well, though I am trying to use Lightroom 4 from now on. All I need now is the computer that doesn't fold when trying to edit files.

Stoopid question ahead!

Camera A, 36 mp.

Camera B, 12 mp.

Take a pic on both and resize it to 800px.

Will I see a big difference on an old monitor vs, say, a new iPad?

If that makes sense.....

It sounds like there are a few variables there, but part of the Ipad and Iphone having lots of pixels is that you view them at a short distance where individual pixels are more visible. Cinemas don't have massive resolution, but you sit so far away that it doesn't matter. What matters is the scale.

800 pixels is 40% of the width of a monitor but only 25% of the long side of the Ipad. If you blow the photo up to full screen on the Ipad, most of the pixels on the screen will be interpolated (i.e., guessed) so I suppose it will look less sharp. Like old iphone games viewed at x2 on the ipad for example. An 800 pixel image probably won't need enlarging on a monitor, but if you did, at least you'll be further away and mightn't notice the drop in quality as much.

I must admit that I can't totally get my head around this either really.

I do know that the same image can look much nicer on some monitors than others.

I must admit that I can't totally get my head around this either really.

I do know that the same image can look much nicer on some monitors than others.

One of the many "variables"! :lol: