Has anyone ever been over to the right of the West mountain towards Shirabetsu?

The photo looks promising not overly keen to walk all the way up but a short walk up the ridge may open up some nice lines.

Japan Photos 10 11 207

I would be interested in any tree runs or semi secret stashes anyone could fill me in on.

I am hoping that it won't get tracked while I am their but just in case.

Seemore

It's an easy and straightforward traverse and boot pack from the two man chair.

Head over towards Elite, then cut into the trees until you hit the ridgeline.

Then it's up and around the first ridge.

There's a good line off the first ridge that drops you back to the car park by the hotel.

Once you've bootpacked around the ridge you drop down (still on the ridge) to the saddle and then you bootpack up the main ridge.

The main gully drops to the road that links the Rusutsu hotel with the Hotel Romulus.

All backcountry advice applies.

This is one of my fav bit of slackcountry in Rusutsu. It is straight up east mt gondola then hard left (away from the isola). There are 2 hills, one I am on and the other you can see in the background which are pure untouched powder all the way with only an short hike out.

There's a good line off the first ridge that drops you back to the car park by the hotel.

Once you've bootpacked around the ridge you drop down (still on the ridge) to the saddle and then you bootpack up the main ridge.

The main gully drops to the road that links the Rusutsu hotel with the Hotel Romulus.

All of this with emphasis on the backcountry rules applies. The cornice has been growing just be a little more careful on it than normal! Would hate to see someone hurt and Rusutsu tighten up on it.

All of this with emphasis on the backcountry rules applies. The cornice has been growing just be a little more careful on it than normal! Would hate to see someone hurt and Rusutsu tighten up on it.

Don't think they could do anything about it as it's outside of the resort boundary. There was an avi death there a season or two ago and nothing happened afterwards.

Cheers Gozaimaas

Is their a path or are you going through a few trees off east muju?

Seemore

No path. You go through some trees and just keep hooking left. You cant go wrong out there really as it all runs back toward the car park at east mt. I have a gopro vid of a run out there but they take days to load on youtube and I have no editing software to chop them up.

Mmmm...pretty sure that is where cub #2 went off with a local and others, they had a blast.

I was not confident of my ability at that time, so sensibly stayed to within Cooeee of the groomers.

Wouldn't mind tackling it now though.

Don't think they could do anything about it as it's outside of the resort boundary. There was an avi death there a season or two ago and nothing happened afterwards.

Sorry I didn't mean rules of the resort. I meant unspoken backcountry rules like bring a buddy, wear a beacon, have gear, etc

If anyone is going to that ridge as you can see in the picture the big open bowl on the back of shirabetsu dake is a big open bowl without trees for a reason...aka it slides. So make sure it's a good day or dig a pit or both! Because that can go and if it does all the factors for death are there. Steep, terrain trap, lots of snow. Be safe out there guys!

Cheers Mitch

Yes I wouldn't tackle Shirabetsu without the people who knew what they were doing.

Just might have a little walk up the ridge and find my way down some of the open trees.

Seemore

I am sitting in the lobby of rusutsu resort now. It was snowing all afternoon and did get pretty heavy for an hour or so but it seems to have backed off now. Hope it pukes tonight as it definately needs it. West Mt was tracked out hard tonight but it always gets tracked out fast I guess being right at the doorstep of the resort.