What's your favourite colour?

Orange!

I have put more thought into powder board design than you would think. For you, being a directional rider who likes to carve on piste aswell as hit the powder a heavily tapered board is the wrong choice. Get on a swallow tail with moderate taper eg. 10mm or less and the stars will align for you!

Something like Prior's Pow Stick then?

I did try, but she's too wise!! ;)

A sensible woman Mrs TB!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and your address is........

good luck, ippy.  

Yeah, good luck on the jobhunting front. In the meantime you can get vicarious thrills from the fact that I have just bought a NEW BOARD!!

The pow stick is a better choice. It has less taper at 10mm so it will be much better on the groomers aswell as much better in the powder, win win for the directional rider. They just need more setback in my eyes. This is definately one of my top 5 if I were buying a board for powder.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that gozaimaas! :thumbsup:

...a quick heads up on 2 things courtesy of rakuten and yahoo:

1. The 2012 Berzerker is now sitting around 33,000 yen

2. The 2013 Highlife AND THE 2013 Berzerker (with a bitchin base by the way) is sitting at 45,000. I assume its ex demo. Either that or theres this weird ass window in japan where they start flogging off next seasons boards in the summer at reduced price, then hike them back up again in late august when the buying peak begins (september, october, november, december).

I think i might have a wee lookie in kanda again this weekend and see what the prices are like on a few select boards. I might also see if they have any 2013 stock. The GT machete has definitely caught my interest.

Ok ippy, just for you, I went to the Kanda/Ochanomizu snowboard shops today and found the following:-

1. A 2011/12 Berzerker 155 for 33,300Yen;

2. A 2011/12 Slackcountry 157 for 42,000;

3. A 2012/13 Machete GT (various sizes) for 52,960; and

4. A 2012/13 Highlife 155 for 54,600.

The Berzerker and Slackcountry were both brand new and 50% off and the GT and Highlife were 15 - 20% off. They also had the 2012/13 Berzerker but I didn't check the price as the tech's the same as last year's model and I don't like the graphics! ;) Btw, the Highlife was super light! :omg: I did a weight comparison with the slightly bigger Slackcountry and it was noticeably lighter.

I also wanted to have a look at the new K2 Peace Keeper but nobody had one, though one of the shops is due to get one in this week so I may pop up again next weekend for a sneeky peek. :D

yeah, one of the first things i noticed was how light it was. Unreal to be honest. Its like picking up a piece of styrofoam.

Im pretty sure that if you have the right haggle powers you could drop a few of those 2012 prices. The GT looks fun to be honest. Id feel weird having the exact same ride as the person i ride with, so the gt might be my way around it. Either that or buying the 2013 zerker. Love the base on it though... (ill have to flex test it though... i always say i prefer stiff rides, but i always moan about them when i ride them - love pop, hate loading).

How did the 'Zerker and Highlife compare flex-wise? I prefer a more flexible board and looking at the stats, the Highlife looks to be the stiffer of the two, but reading about them and riding the them are two different matters! I knew I should have got my arse up back up to Kagura before the end of the season! :doh:

The stats are correct. The highlife feels like a tanky board more than the zerker. Then again, i hadnt been on the zerker in like 2 months at that point and every time i went up to the slopes between my last ride on the zerker and my first on the HL, i was on my sierrascope (indoor FK - which if i understand it, is pretty similar to your machete) so theres always the thought that maybe i was just getting my legs back in and after a few days on it theyd feel different.

Its really hard to go off a one day test to be honest and tell you emphatically that the HL was this, not least because the conditions were absolute slush... in some places it was more like water skiing. The wax job felt a bit rushed (obviously, since its a demo place), but yeah, that didnt help matters. I just wasnt having a whole heap of fun on it. And the one reason i really wanted to check it out for (the new nose shape), well, it definitely wasnt the right conditions.

Held an edge great, pop walls are seriously amazing. According to tidbits (might have been a vid or a comment he made at snowboardforums), one of the probs with the 2012 HL was that it lacked a bit of response and snap to it. And since the 2013 was snappy as hell imo, then im gonna have to say they knocked that issue right out the park.

Regarding response though, I should point out though that it didnt feel as 'responsive' compared to the zerker. The zerker felt SUPER nimble. The zerker is EFFORTLESS to ride. The highlife felt a bit heavier edge to edge, and all in all just felt a little slower to maneuver. In return though i think the HL has a tonne of dampening to it. Honestly, getting back on my scope and riding the exact same stuff (to get back up to kagura after i traded back) was almost hysterically funny when i found myself suddenly bounced around by every bump in the terrain and feeling every bobble on my poor feet. The highlife didnt even dignify that shit with a response. It slams through crud and shit in a way that the zerker maybe cant. (memories of ishiuchi when it was freezing and baked - it was a bit jelly legs on the old zerker and i have a feeling the highlife wouldnt have given even the remotest of concern - again though, the zerker is pretty damp in itself i should add).

In summary:

The Highlife is the ED-209 to the zerkers Robocop. Ed-209 would kick robocops ass in a fair blaster fight. But robocop is just a bit more capable of adapting to the environment and so should ultimately win.

Response: Zerker. The board is super aggressive and very nimble. When you need it on point it feels light, effortless, but really solid.

Pop: Highlife. Popwalls are ****ing immense.

Speed: Highlife (odd one i know, but honestly ive pushed the zerker to its [my] max speed with no probs, but the HL started hitting speeds that kinda scared me - i think if you let it off the leash its going to nuke).

Powder: Dunno but im gonna have to slide to the HL just for that nose.

Hmm, i might hit the park, ride some trees, maybe pop in the pow and cruise some greens: Zerker. Kills it all.

Flex/buttery: Zerker is softer. HL didnt feel super soft even with the removal of pop rods AND the reverse camber. It just wasnt fun to butter about on even on a day that youre really only gonna enjoy a bit of butter.

Jumps etc: I dunno. I suck. Im going with the zerker though, less pop but it just felt much easier to pull around (then again, pop walls... ummm, feel free to ignore this category... actually, feel free to ignore them all)

Dampening: Highlife. "Thing smash!"

The one board quiver: Zerker. Its just really fun to ride regardless of the conditions. I wouldnt pull the HL out on a day like the one i tested it. i would pull the zerker out though and have a blast just bouncing about on the moguls and dicking around in the trees. Zerker really is an amazing kill it all deck.

The one board powder/tanking hybrid: im really stretching these categories now... highlife. To really push the powder aspects of the zerker and destroy even the flat deep parts at kagura, youre going to maybe size up a few cms and drop the bindings back. And youre probably gonna still have to put a bit of work in it and sit your ass back at some of the really gnarly spots. Its not a pow stick and although it doesnt really struggle at all in a few feet of pow (lets say "resort pow"), in deep (like mid january deep) and plowing its own tracks... nah.. i aint feeling it. Youre gonna need your pow stick.And heres where i reckon the highlife fills a bit of a gap betwen the zerker and my slasher for example. I doubt its gonna kill anything i was just talking about, but you might actually have a chance of making it through that shit without toppling from having to sit in the ass of the baord to get back to less insane terrain.

I have a feeling the highlifes gonna let you ride pretty close to your weight for a standard ride and get you through that shit. Zerker is FUN in pow. It doesnt have a lot of problems when its set back (no nose diving, no feeling like youre rudder steering by throwing all your weight into the ass), but you dont get it all on the same day. As i say, if its deep and you pull out your nice mid sized zerker, youre gonna have to throw the bindings back to keep it above the snow, youre still gonna put a bit of work in, and youre sacrificing a bit of its pop and zippyness to do it. (CF. check out the day 1 conclusion on the review i wrote - it was pretty much: nice board, lacks a bit of bite - switching the bindings back to center on day 2 and it was like night and day). The highlife SEEMS (again, no actual hands on evidence to back it up) like its going to give you just a bit more of a twek that way. Were i to be riding slackcountry, lift runs and black runs all season id probably pick up the HLUL just because it eats all that crap up. Were i instead to want a board that lets me muck about in that, but also lets me just cruise when i want, id go with the zerker. Were i to be hitting slackcountry all season though, buy a damn pow stick. :)

I hope all this is drawing this stuff out. I know 90% of it is waffle (that you didnt even ask for), but i like the robocop statement so im keeping it there. :p

(PS. I really loved getting back on my scope. Was really shocked at how stable it felt after a couple more seasons on camber and getting my slackcountry riding technique down a bit - so were i to really pick a deck right now in their line, im veering toward the MacheteGT. I always wanted the "indoor on roids" and with rides quality, the popwalls, the lowrize with "camber infusion", a bit stiffer, and the carbon array (which i should add is awesome as well - you really feel like youre on your whole edge when you get on it), the board just seems super fun and a nice mix of the indoor and the zerker... well... to an extent, its missing that sidecut for a start. But still, its on my list).

right now... three.

156 2010 Sierrascope (indoor FK).

155 2011 Bataleon Riot

164 2011 Charlie Slasher.

143(?) 2011 Capita SMF (not mine)

Jesus, would you look at that, i havent got a single deck from last years range! this is RI.DIC.U.LOUS!

Pretty small quiver truth be told. Truth is right now, and unless i end up living on a ski jo, the riot wont likely be used all that much again, Its just too small for me (172lbs now) Actually, if anyone wants it, ill happy sell it for about 25K.

Be gone peasant! If you wont take a small mortgage out on a snowboard, how can i trust you to take care of it!

Careful or he'll get the hump! ;)

Thanks for the 'Zerker/Highlife info btw ippy - very useful and Robocop analogy aside (you must try to get out more), it was around and about what I was thinking. :thumbsup:

even if the best skier in hakuba gave me a million camels i wouldnt get the hump... wait, that was the gag. Dammit, im becoming killface.

Killface.gif

(Even better than archer by the way).

And what the hell do you mean ROBOCOP ANALOGY ASIDE? that was the best bit!

its okay, this year im all about bindings.

Switchback in particular, Apparently no back on pow is the bomb... ;)

YES!!!!

The lower the back the happier I am. What a brilliant concept.

Dont you find it hard getting response on the heel side with not much highback? FWIW im going to try riding with no highback and see how I go.

Well I just got some burton diodes and I absolutely love them BUT, one of the carbon fibre highbacks started to crack on me after during my first day of riding. They are replacing it though and the crack has gone no further since, I have put another 5 days on them with no problems. They are super light, I notice it when my board is hanging off my foot of the chair.

Gozaimaas,

Papabear had a pair of super light Burton bindings do the same thing on him -day one. Rode them damaged for the balance of the trip then binned them. He liked the light weight, so bought a 2nd pair (didn't try and get a replacement as we were not going back to the store where he had bought them from) - same bindings have lasted very very well....

I reckon he caught them under a low chair.

As for lack of response with a low back...NUP. My board does what I tell it to do.

I have never ridden with NO back, but I realized when I did the hire thing in March that my current bindings have a lower than normal back. I did not like the higher back at all...made me feel all stiff. Much more playful when it was lower. We are only talking about an inch lower, but it made all the difference to my enjoyment factor. I like to feel like I drive the heel edge with my heel rather than it engaging from my leg movement. It might be more noticeable because I am a girl, and the length between ankle and calf is not as great as a mans would be.