• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and your address is........

good luck, ippy.  

Yeah, good luck on the jobhunting front. In the meantime you can get vicarious thrills from the fact that I have just bought a NEW BOARD!!

Must be buying time...

My board is holding up fine (Burton Custom 09/10), so I jumped on Rakuten to source some pants. Ended up getting some groovy looking pants and jacket for 20400Y delivered to Australia. As much as I'd like to support my LBS, I can't justify paying $260 for just one item of clothing with less waterproofing/protection.I still get my boots and consumables there, as well as board tuning.

Next up is to source some new goggles, as my Ducati Oakley's are quite a bit scratched (I've had them for 5 years). Dragon APX's might be the go.

Hey.. Nice shopping Sciclone!

Apparently the (not so local) board store will give me free waxing, tuning and edges ALL year on my new board. Not bad service huh?!

Done and dusted.

Proud owner of a brand spanking new season Roxy Eminence.

Cool new graphics - totally stoked!

Just waiting for snow :)

Well done MB!! :clap: Any pix?

123728.jpg

This is she.

I shall stick these on her:

spm_ft_bh_silver.jpg

At 155 she will be a lot of board to handle in Aussie conditions but I think I am up for it, she was an easy ride in Niseko in March, even on the hard pack. So keen for the season to get underway and make her an extension of me. :D

Sweet ride MB.

I think if I need to replace my board, I'll be getting a 155 Reverse crew from Sierra (trusnow.com). I'll see if I can convince my friend who's looking at buying a board to get it first, then I can trial it before buying it.

Cheers guys. I've had her a week and the buzz has not faded yet.

Sciclone, funny you should say that about getting your friend to buy a board you like...I am pushing my friend in the direction of the Jibstick just because I loved it so much and we could play board swaps (except she is short!)

I contemplated getting new bindings, but the fastecs really are awesome - only a drawback in powder for me, so if I get new bindings it will be before the NH season, and they will be low backed.

whee! congrats! and if you want your mate to play swapsies turn to the dark side of the force and point out that sizing up a few cms gives her the following benefits:

1. Extra edge hold (which helps turn her jibstick into a bit more all round board instead of just a park ride).

2. More float in pow.

er... thats about it isnt it?

You could tell her what she loses if you like, (bit less response and a bit harder to handle - not much, but then again marketing is all about playing up tiny insignificant differences as massive ride changing disasters). Either way at least try and terrify her into not sizing down by pointing out its a soft board with poor edge hold anyway and shortening the effective edge means she'll gimp its diversity a bit.

That's the good thing about my friend. He's about the same height, perhaps an inch shorter than me, and the same weight, so we should be able to swap no worries.. I love my Burton Custom, but would love to try a twin-rocker just to see if I like it. He won't know because he's never ridden before, but US$349 for a board and rome bindings is better than paying $600+ for a board in Brisbane.

• 2 weeks later...

i dunno how this has become pretty much the default thread for buying a new snowboard... maybe the thread title ended up doing that :)

But a quick heads up on 2 things courtesy of rakuten and yahoo:

1. The 2012 Berzerker is now sitting around 33,000 yen

2. The 2013 Highlife AND THE 2013 Berzerker (with a bitchin base by the way) is sitting at 45,000. I assume its ex demo. Either that or theres this weird ass window in japan where they start flogging off next seasons boards in the summer at reduced price, then hike them back up again in late august when the buying peak begins (september, october, november, december).

Actually that makes it three things...

3. Since i cant see a single thing that suggests its ex demo, (and this is now a two parter) a) how the hell do they already have 2013 gear in stock. I know k2 and ride are pretty quick and usually have product from late july... but its not even june yet? and B) if this is the case, do japanese stores actually discount next seasons product june, july and august and then hike it back up in september? Seemed to be the case last season when i was hunting for a bataleon in august compared to the quotes i got for the same board in october (about a 20% increase from summer prices - basically 10% off japan msrp).

I think i might have a wee lookie in kanda again this weekend and see what the prices are like on a few select boards. I might also see if they have any 2013 stock. The GT machete has definitely caught my interest.

ETA: maybe its just some kind of pre-order price so they know theyre going to sell it kinda thing and so make a few bucks (maybe not as much as if they put it on the shop floor in august/september - but maybe not lose so much if it sits there all year and they have to drop it to 50% off and lose any kind of mark up).

If there is a little price drop loophole then exploit exploit exploit!!!

2013's are definitely flooding into Aussie stores at the moment - may well be popping up in Tokyo.

Good Luck!

(oh and yeah...the title makes it easy as a 'go to' thread)

yeah, i know the southern hemisphere gets the 2013 now in prep for their season, so im kinda wondering if japan has somehow managed to sneak in on that by putting pressure on manufacturers to release ever earlier to also keep them safe from the perils of overseas grey markets. Basically i foresee a time in the near future where both europe and the US/canada are the very last to have their stuff released since it is really the effects of the US grey market (and of course non inflated prices) thats the barrier to business here and not simply an issue caused by the southern hemisphere peak season starting earlier.

Though of course the two things combined (and the fact that those bogans started buying a stack of burton in 2010 from sierra at 70% off (before it was even in the shops at full Aussie MSRP) kinda pushed things towards that obvious conclusion...

Basically im kinda curious (because these are the things i enjoy being curious about), if japanese retailers have started blurring that argument a bit and pushing the former idea of US grey markets and the huge influence of massive internet warehouses as opposed bricks and mortar stores) as being more damaging to their industry than what season it is in july/august/september.

Of course this is all entirely theoretical until i physically see 2013 gear in the stores. Last year it came in on schedule (though discounted straight out of the gate before the sale price and the msrp started to head more in line towards october). Im just wondering if this year they might have lobbied manufacturers and started getting some releases in lie with oceanic releases. Probably not and it is just probably a preorder, but its interesting that you can get next years gear at about 1/3rd off before this season has even finished (what? Gassan's stil running!). Whatever it is, its still a fairly decent deal. 45,000 yen is about $560, and this is much closer to the US msrp (500) than i expected to see.

Holy crap! just went to evo for a wee lookie at their bargains (nothing special which is rather unusual for them), and they already have the ride/k2 2013 gear (and salomon boots). Guess ride are shipping now super early. Within 5 years theyll start overlapping :/

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm bored of typhoons so am looking at new boards! :D

I've found something I like the look of and want a 2nd opinion (or 2) on it's spec (below). I'm deliberately not telling you the brand or model, so there's no bias (and no, it's not a Burton!) but what I will say is that it's a directional freeride board! My quandary is whether it will be any good/fun on the groomers and yes, I know I shouldn't expect too much from a pow board but I want to have my cake and eat it! Any thoughts (c'mon ippy and Jynxx - this post is made for you!!)????

Length (cm) 156

Effective Edge (cm) 114.6

Nose Length (cm) 24.7

Tail Length (cm) 16.7

Nose Width (cm) 30.8

Tail Width (cm) 28.7

Waist (cm) 25.5

Radius (m) 7.5

Taper (mm) 21

Insert Setbacks (cm) 2.5

Stance (in) 18"-24"

Papabear ONLY rides directional boards, he has 2 (one more obviously directional than the other) and another on the way.

He rides a LOT on piste, although will duck off through trees and is happy to head out gates.

He has a lot of fun.

It is hard to look at board specs and tell YOU that you will have fun, but there is no reason you WON'T have fun.

How tall are you Mick?

I am 5'5 and riding a 155.

I am sure that PBs boards are all a fair bit longer than 156.

That would be my only concern.

does it have rocker or hybrid rocker / camber? If it is a straight camber deck, then longer would be better as mamabear pointed out, but if it has some rocker in the nose then you might not need to go much longer.

I don't want to start thinking about boards.....I hardly used my Pow Snake due to a monetary draining marriage ceremony, the couple of times I did use it it was great. Good in late spring powder and also in late spring slush puppy. I need to replace my bindings this year as my 2nd hand FLOW's have really had it. Thing is I have sworn recently that I'd never go back to ratchets, but out of interest I had been using my Burton Cartels, I'd used them only a handful of times before ditiching them in favour of the FLOW's, but I was having a great time with them. I wonder if most of my previous problems were more down to my inexperience on a board and not being able to ride the bindings properly. I feel I'm a hell of a lot better than 3 seasons ago when I last used them and like I said, I had a great time with them and the board. I DO like the look of those new FLOW's though

Ok, I'm bored of typhoons so am looking at new boards! :D

I've found something I like the look of and want a 2nd opinion (or 2) on it's spec (below). I'm deliberately not telling you the brand or model, so there's no bias (and no, it's not a Burton!) but what I will say is that it's a directional freeride board! My quandary is whether it will be any good/fun on the groomers and yes, I know I shouldn't expect too much from a pow board but I want to have my cake and eat it! Any thoughts (c'mon ippy and Jynxx - this post is made for you!!)????

Length (cm) 156

Effective Edge (cm) 114.6

Nose Length (cm) 24.7

Tail Length (cm) 16.7

Nose Width (cm) 30.8

Tail Width (cm) 28.7

Waist (cm) 25.5

Radius (m) 7.5

Taper (mm) 21

Insert Setbacks (cm) 2.5

Stance (in) 18"-24"

So its a prior.

Looks like a middle of the road board to me. Kind of like listening to the most out there music on a commercial radio station, it may be wild to most people but in reality its pretty tame.

PS taper is what kills pow boards on groomers. 21mm is getting up there as far as taper goes so its not going to be awesome at carving. I have found less taper combined with a swallow tail is the best of both worlds, you can carve well and also have that tail sink that promotes nose lift at the expense of switch riding. There are many ways to skin this cat.

I was better in ratchets with more experience, but the higher back on most of the ratchet bindings doesn't suit my style. Much better off with low backed bindings, and the worldwide snowboarding fastecs give me that, response, and ease of use. Win win win. If you are buying new and loved your flows, then try Fastecs.

Surf Arthur, I was presuming camber or flat given it was a directional Freeride board.... Could be wrong, but isn't that what is most common?

Thanks for the comments guys and gals! :thumbsup: Taking them in order:-

1. I'm 5'10", 65kg-ish with blue/green eyes and a GSOH! ;) Oh, and I ride a 155 twin, having previously had a 158 and then a 157. I'm more of a mellow than aggressive rider so want a board that I can chuck about a bit but know that I should be on a directional board as I hardly ever ride switch!

2. It's a hybrid rocker with camber between the bindings.

3. I know what you mean about going back to ratchets TB! Do you now have a joint bank account? :confused:

4. You certainly know your boards gozaimaas!!! :clap: What gave it away?

You certainly know your boards gozaimaas!!! :clap: What gave it away?

I just know my boards ;-)

I have put more thought into powder board design than you would think. For you, being a directional rider who likes to carve on piste aswell as hit the powder a heavily tapered board is the wrong choice. Get on a swallow tail with moderate taper eg. 10mm or less and the stars will align for you!

Thanks for the comments guys and gals! :thumbsup: Taking them in order:-

1. I'm 5'10", 65kg-ish with blue/green eyes and a GSOH! ;) Oh, and I ride a 155 twin, having previously had a 158 and then a 157. I'm more of a mellow than aggressive rider so want a board that I can chuck about a bit but know that I should be on a directional board as I hardly ever ride switch!

2. It's a hybrid rocker with camber between the bindings.

3. I know what you mean about going back to ratchets TB! Do you now have a joint bank account? :confused:

4. You certainly know your boards gozaimaas!!! :clap: What gave it away?

I did try, but she's too wise!! ;)