What's Your Average Download Speed?

I have 100Mps download speed through my ADSL line and it can be frustrating waitng for some Utube files to load. Are we way behind the times here in OZ (can of worms there!) or does that seem normal.

Is it generally faster in Japan?, UK?, US?

Funnily enough I did a search on download speeds here on the forum and in 2004 speeds of between 20 to 50 MPS were talked about in glowing terms. :laugh:

The maxiumum we have had was 50mb/s, and generally get anywhere between 5mb/s and 20mb/s depending on time of day.

Quicker at night time, slower during the day.

We have 100mb fibre optic as well.

Funny I remember a few years ago when this was a big issue for me.

But I don't bother thinking about it now, like some others have said things seem fast enough.

Don't feel the need for more.

Then again, I don't download movies and huge games and stuff. Perhaps I'd notice then.

I have Hikari from OCN whatever speed that is.

The thing that bothers me is trying to watch snow videos such as those posted by me and others here where the vid starts and stops to load all the time.

For example

I have 100Mps download speed through my ADSL line and it can be frustrating waitng for some Utube files to load. Are we way behind the times here in OZ (can of worms there!) or does that seem normal.

Funnily enough I did a search on download speeds here on the forum and in 2004 speeds of between 20 to 50 MPS were talked about in glowing terms. :laugh:

Australia is way behind much of the developed world in internet speeds. The difference between what I had in Japan and what I've got now is huge and I get to pay more for a sub-standard service here in Australia. Our huge size with relatively low population doesn't help. Still currently our average speeds are down there in what's normal in many 3rd world countries. This is why the NBN is being introduced.

That is cool Klingon.

It stops 3 or 4 times when I watch it

I wondered if it was my slow download speed, which does not appear slow compared to others mentioned here

What is your speed?

Australia is way behind much of the developed world in internet speeds. The difference between what I had in Japan and what I've got now is huge and I get to pay more for a sub-standard service here in Australia. Our huge size with relatively low population doesn't help. Still currently our average speeds are down there in what's normal in many 3rd world countries. This is why the NBN is being introduced.

Too true GN.

I just noticed Inverloch on your profile - that brings back many happy memories for this old sea dog. I had many forays down around your area when I was a member of Phillip Island Boardriders Club for a lot of years. That drve from Wonthaggi via Cape Paterson to Inverloch is epic with a few "secret spots along the way. I really hope it is still undeveloped & unspoilt

It's still a beautiful spot snowjunky. There's been quite a lot of development in recent years in Inverloch as it's a major sea change destination for retiring baby boomers. Of course this has meant prices for housing have gone through the roof unfortunately. That coast along the road between Cape Paterson and here really is magnificent. Luckily it is part of a coastal park and will remain unspoilt by development.

me no ken about any of that!!

I have noticed my download rate has slowed considerably since moving from a house to a mansion.....I guess sharing the bandwith with the rest of the building has done that

with speedtest.net 1583887592.png

Admittedly, this is through a WiFi network in house, but it is still woefully slow.

Later, prolly the weekend, I'll check with a wired connection to see whether that makes a difference.

Edited by JA