To say nothing of attracting people who may want to be planning vacations. I get very annoyed when I can't find out at least how much lift passes cost last season. Sure, prices can change, but not by that much in one year.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was listening to a very interesting radio program this morning on the history of the 20+ year old Japanese economic malaise. Not news I know, but it was interesting to hear the story laid out like t

TJ OZ always seems to find these unrealistically extra bright fluroescent colors from somewhere to paint the picture.   While it was certainly better than many expected due to March and all that, tr

One man's rust-scarred, concrete bunker is another man's investment opportunity! ;)

Yeah, they are all in big demand....must explain why they are all snapped up so quickly! ;)

Is there ANY resort area, ski or not, that does not have this mess going on?

Call me slow, but just came up with two examples of resort areas that do not seem to have decrepit eyesore syndrome in evidence: Karuizawa and Nasu. (Not major ski centers, though they do both have ski areas.)

Of course, being playgrounds of the Imperial Family probably doesn't hurt.

I've only looked at it from the train, but it appears to be a nice looking place as well......not the usual crappy buildings that so mire the views of urban Japan. What else goes on there? Apparently the snow is crap, is it a big hiking area....mountain biking.......how come its "famous"? Just for being popular with the royals?

I found it to be very pleasant when I went there, would like to go again and spend more time than we did.

Here's what wiki says:

Karuizawa (軽井沢町 Karuizawa-machi) is a town located in Kitasaku District, Nagano, Japan.

As of January 1, 2008, the town has an estimated population of 17,833 and has a total area of 156.05 square kilometres (60.25 sq mi).

Karuizawa is known throughout Japan as a popular tourist spot. People from Tokyo will travel to Karuizawa to get away from the city especially in summer. There is a Shinkansen station as well as a large outlet store shopping mall. It is also known for its historic shopping street known as "Ginza dōri" or "Kyū-dō" (Ginza Street, or the Old Road).

Karuizawa hosted equestrian events in the 1964 Summer Olympics. The town also hosted curling in the 1998 Winter Olympics. To date, it is the only city in the world having hosted both Summer and Winter Olympic events.

Edo Period: Served as a post station town on Nakasendō, called Karuisawa-shuku at that time

1886: British theologian Alexander Croft Shaw introduced Karuizawa to fellow missionaries as a getaway spot, particularly as an escape from the summer heat of Tokyo

1910s: Begins to attract the attention of other expatriates and Japanese.

1922: Gained town status. The village of Higashinagakura becomes the town of Karuizawa

1951: Selected as International Cultural and Tourism City.

1964: 1964 Summer Olympics (Equestrian)

October 1, 1997: Nagano Shinkansen opens

1998: 1998 Winter Olympics (Curling)

2004: Mount Asama erupts

Yes Karuizawa definitely has a different atmoshere and look about it.

Not been to Nasu - nice place?

Farily nice. Haven't seen downtown, actually, as it is on the opposite side of the expressway from the mountains, where the main resort areas are. Basically resort facilities (onsen, besso, skiing, country clubs, cafes, boutiques, safari park, amusement park, and the obligatory outlet mall) spread out among forests and ranches in the Nasu Kogen highlands. Pretty obvious that a lot of money is parked there, and of course the Imperial family have their summer residence there. Ranged on the west by some very scenic mountains.

A somewhat similar region, come to think of it, is the Tateshina Kogen area -- where the Imperial Family has been known to go skiing, if I'm not mistaken (at Kurumayama, I think?).

Perhaps a theme developing there...

In a different vein, I think the pottery towns of Kasama and Mashiko have some rather charming areas as well.

Hmm, perhaps I am mistaken about that. I thought I had remembered reading that in one of the reviews on this site, but see no sign of it now.

...And I do see such a mention in one of the Okushiga Kogen reviews.

Must have misremembered.

:ashamed:

Apparently some Tokyo companies will pay for folks to commute on the Nagano shink from Karuizawa. Along with the massive outlet mall right next to the station, a fair few "sheltered housing" type blocks of flats for old folks have gone up in recent years. Enough for other folks to get on the Nagano news trying to stop more of them being built. I guess the idea is that folks don't feel cut off from Tokyo if they move there. In spite of its location, its pretty cold there in winter, much colder than Matsumoto or Nagano City. I bet they don't tell that to the old people in the brochures.

Its quite a pretty area and the old Meiji/Taisho hotels and chapels there are fine buildings. Well worth seeing.

Yes one of my friends lives in Karuizawa and commutes to Tokyo weekdays. It actually takes him less than many of his colleagues and his office is close to Tokyo station and so actually quite convenient.

• 3 weeks later...

A somewhat similar region, come to think of it, is the Tateshina Kogen area -- where the Imperial Family has been known to go skiing, if I'm not mistaken (at Kurumayama, I think?).

Ah ha, I DID read that somewhere after all:

Kurumayama is semi-famous for its imperial patronage. Apparently Japan's princes and princesses go there, of course with all their security in tow.[...]

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/oceans-view-12.html

• 3 weeks later...

Kurumayama is a lot colder than it is interesting. Fairly small and typically wind-scoured hilltop that doesn't get huge amounts of snow. It might be fun on a sunny 30-40cm powder day, as it's mostly all open, but don't think they get many such days in a season. Based on my limited experience there; YMMV, of course.

I think I would agree with that, again my experience limited too.

Perhaps save it for a guaranteed day that you want to try somewhere new.

There's a few other places up there in the same area.

A place in that region I'd like to try on the right day is Pilatus, and I thought Echo Valley had some potential though it was a long time ago and I really don't remember it very well. It just doesn't snow that much up in that part of Nagano and they get a lot of thaw/freeze.