Interesting one this.

My lady came back today saying that there's no rice in any of the shops in Minamiuonuma or Tokamachi (big area).

Sold out everywhere, she went to 8 shops. Spoke to some friends about it and apparently people are buying up 'old' (ie last season) rice because

a) 'they know it's safe' (ie people hoarding because they are worried about what might be in this seasons crop)

and

B) new rice is predicted to be expensive due to there being less of it because of Tohoku.

Shortages elsewhere?

Yes here in Yamanashi also a shortage of rice. The shops do still have some rice but certainly much less now. At the moment we are buying Yamanashi grown rice, partly for the safety factor, and because Niigata koshihikara and akita komachi, which we normally buy is practically sold out.

The news said a few months ago that the wholesale price of rice was already high then. It might have been futures but they were saying 16-17000 a hyo (60kg). It was 11500 or so before.

I also remember them saying last year that it was too hot, meaning the volume wasn't so affected but there was much less high grade rice for the premium strains.

The talk around town is that people are simply worried what the new crop has in store, if anything. People are sure theres no 'Fukushima' in last seasons crop and so its all gone people getting as much as possibe. And that the new bunch will be more expensive too.

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
We buy directly from a rice growing friend in Akita (komachi). We should be ok. But then again, how about some cheap Thai rice for a change. I get sick of J rice sometimes.

Would love some too but cheap and thai rice just don't go in the same sentence, or so I have found, in Japan.
Originally Posted By: Man_In_Japan
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
We buy directly from a rice growing friend in Akita (komachi). We should be ok. But then again, how about some cheap Thai rice for a change. I get sick of J rice sometimes.

Would love some too but cheap and thai rice just don't go in the same sentence, or so I have found, in Japan.

You're right. I was thinking back to when I first came to Japan there was a shortage of J rice and Thai was cheaper. And we WERE getting Akita komachi for 7000yen for 30 kg. But, my wife said she stopped ordering it after 3/11 and has gone with a local farmer for about the same price. As per usual...I'm right on top of things. wakaranai
Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
haha!
Doesn't the Japanese governm,ent put a high tax levy on imported rice?

I think it was something like 800% or some ridiculous number.
  • 2 weeks later...

All the rice has been harvested round here now.

Not heard anything about "results" of tests or anything yet.

I'm sure it will make news when they come in though, whatever they are.