One thing I gotta mention.

When you go to any shop in Japan, 20% off stuff is normal (even on new models) But don´t expect that at department stores.

You negotiate - that´s is one of the advantages of buying stuff at the shops instead of internet.

I have only been skiing 6 times and it was with friends gear/rental.

I'm up for buying kit this year and will enjoy doing that in October. Friend who works in a sports shop promises to get me a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite all teh people saying they were getting bataleon, no one had the riot in stock. Only boards in tokyo are the airobic, disaster, evil twin, feelbetter, and whatever. Theres a shop that looks like it might actually be a licensed bataleon vendor since they even had teh enemy, but only 1 riot and only 151.

It doesnt of course matter mind you. The prices were outrageous as ever. When i tried pointing out that 63,000 for a USED 2011 riot was insane when i could buy a 2012 riot from the USA for about $200 less, i was met with a look that conveyed pure 'shoganai'. Haggling is not yet a matter of course. :)

Looks like im probably buying it from USA then. Its a pity, i really wanted to buy it in japan this time so id have a snowboard shop i could finally say i was supporting. Shoganai. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Popped into some of the Ochanomizu/Kanda shops in Tokyo yesterday and they had 40-60% off last year's gear. I was only really looking at boots (they had 50% off the 2010/11 Salomon range) but one shop also offered me 25% off their stickered price for this year's model, so there are definitely some deals to be haggled! The problem I have is trying to stop converting Yen into Pounds and therefore thinking how expensive everything is!! :omg: