Coming from the UK for 10 days - your recommendations

Myself and 2pints,mate are really considering doing a 10 day Japan tour next winter. We've read so much here about the places to go, but still have a specific question we'd like to ask you all in the know. We have 10 days (well 8 full days basically) - what would you do if you were us? ie where would you go?

Cheers for the help Japan dudes

It depends on whether or not money is a factor...

If I was coming from another country, and only had 8 days to ride, I'd spend them all in Hokkaido. I'd also plan it around the Sapporro Ice Festival held in the beginning of Feb every year.

If money isn't a factor, then you could also jet half way through the trip to another location here in Japan.

The BEST location is up for debate...it really depends on what you want out of your trip.

Crowds, or no lift lines. Lots of run choices or lots of powder and/or back country stuff, big city at night, or a quite bath in an Onsen instead...

skiing or snowboarding makes a difference too...most places up here in Tohoku seem to have a higher percentage of skiers but there are some good places where the snowboarders outnumber the skiers...

My recommendation for Nagano is partly because it's a bit more typically 'Japanese' than Hokkaido and I think you'll get more variety in Central Honshu. This may reflect my ignorance of Hokkaido, and I'm sure somebody will be kind enough to point that out. \:D

You'll no doubt get lots of suggestions, and they'll all be valid.

Hey Bagofcrisps, how you doing?

I'd get one of those Japan rail pass things and train it in Nagano/Niigata/Gunma for the time period - as Ocean said, variety, you'll see more of Japan, you'll see more resorts, and transport is fairly easy, especially if you're not counting the pennies.

I'm backing ocean and rach - 100% ...starting in the west - nagano area - work your way north... east a bit - then down through to the yuzawa side - you could do a wicked arc - A voyage to be proud of I recon! definately by Car.

You gotta have a day here and there to chill out a bit too- I mean unless you are ultra hardcore (no offence but the crisps/pints probably dont help ha ha ha ha ;\) ) youre going to need to rest your body to get maximum enjoyment. Take a day to see the monkeys, they are worth missing a day of riding.

If you want to maximise your riding time as well as soaking in some atmosphere and the local brews I'd suggest you shouldn't waste time travelling about too much. Hakuba is a good base with arguably the best terrain in Japan overall and a huge variety of resorts within striking distance. From Hakuba you can easily do day trips to Shiga Kogen or Nozawa onsen if you really want to, but you would need a car.You can ride 8 different resorts in 8 days all within half an hour or so of Hakuba village anyway if that takes your fancy.

Niseko is another good base others will probably recommend. The more you trip around the more it'll cost you. If you go to Hakuba you'll only need to fork out for a return trip on the Shinkansen once-which'll work out cheaper than a pass I'd imagine. Niseko involves another flight and then around 2hrs from the airport(correct me if I'm wrong anyone as I've never been there).

For first timers Hakuba/Niseko are probably more accessible and geared up for foreigners. If I was planning an 8 day trip from here to Austria for example I wouldn't be bothered with the hassel of going to Innsbrook, St Anton etc etc-I'd pick one good area with loads of resorts and enjoy it.

Cheers, thanks for the comments so far.

We want to make the most of it when we are there, so put us in the hardcore category if you will. Don't want to spend days resting/sighseeing.... keep them coming dudes and dudettes.

I will get bashed for this, but unless you have a specific non-snow reason to visit Japan (ie go somewhere new) then I would spend your money in Switzerland or near by.

You will spend more money to get here and fly some 14 hours both ways for the privilege of:

struggling with language, have no ski town atmosphere and be told you cant ride any of those nice powder stashes you can see all around you, stay on the boring groomed course, ride the ungroomed moguled steep slopes, share the run with 500 other people prone to sitting in the middle of the slope etc etc. From what I can gather, Niseko allows some freedom, but parts of Europe offer lift serviced terrain that I am yet to see here. When I was in Switzerland I met some english guys that lived there and they asked if it was worth visiting Japan next season. I told them only if they really want to see Japan. We spent the rest of the day riding off piste knee deep powder on avie blasted slopes that were a minimum of 500m long and serviced by lifts.

Having been to Switzerland, France and Japan, J-Land is still my favourite. Apart from the culture and people which I enjoy very much. The relative consistency of the weather and snow quality is another plus. Added to that, in Hokkaido, I have rarely had to queue long for lifts and the courses are usually not crowded. However, my experience in Courcheval was that most lifts had long queues and many courses were quite crowded.

On the other hand, I agree with db that the 14 hour+ flight and the jet-lag are a big minus. In addition, the terrain is more limited (Rusutsu has about 1/10th the skiing course length of the Three Valleys in France.

So it may be worth it for trying something new and different (I certainly intend to revisit Europe in the future but Japan will always be my favourite destination) for a change, but "just for skiing" ...plenty of good places in Europe.

(If I seem confusing in my recommendation, I mean...Both places have their merits but are not worth the long trip, except for the occasional "try something different".)

Having been to Switzerland, France and Japan, J-Land is still my favourite. Apart from the culture and people which I enjoy very much. The relative consistency of the weather and snow quality is another plus. Added to that, in Hokkaido, I have rarely had to queue long for lifts and the courses are usually not crowded. However, my experience in Courcheval was that most lifts had long queues and many courses were quite crowded.

On the other hand, I agree with db that the 14 hour+ flight and the jet-lag are a big minus. In addition, the terrain is more limited (Rusutsu has about 1/10th the skiing course length of the Three Valleys in France.

So it may be worth it for trying something new and different (I certainly intend to revisit Europe in the future but Japan will always be my favourite destination) for a change, but "just for skiing" ...plenty of good places in Europe.

Don't worry about jetlag. It doesn't exist if you don't believe in it. Just as mixing your drinks has no effect unless you let it. Sex, drugs, rock n' roll and snowboarding are not at all incompatible with international flights.

I think you should come to Japan if that is what you are interested in. I am all for seeing new places.

If you do come I tend to agree more with Davo. I would rather have my base in one place so I didn't have to lug around my bags and things. Hakuba is great for that as you have all kinds of variety. I have not been to Niseko yet, though. You could do a couple days at Goryu/47, Happo, Cortina, and if you wanted to rent a car and drive to Nozawa, Shiga or Arai. If you are open to the culture you will have a great time.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

db, I have been to Europe more than a few times. But we really want to go to Japan and experience Japan - it will be worth the extra effort and cash for sure.

It's really late, yawn. Time to sleep.

I'm sure you'd have a great time BagOfCrisps. I'm from the UK too and usually in Japan for a couple of months in a year. Luckily this year I am in Japan right now so I can ski! Off to Nagano tomorrow