What do you do?

I have 2 old desktops and two monitors, the big kind, that have been living in my garage for who knows how long and I want to get rid. Wondering what to do with them - electric shops or something else?

I'm not sure on all the options, but I do know a place near where I live that takes things like this off people. I think it would be costing you around 1000 to 2000 yen for each of those things you mention.

Good luck!

Here we can just pop it in a blue bag put it out on the designated day and it will be gone!

Don't forget to destroy the hard drive if you think you may have any important files or info that you don't want others to see.

Locally, there is a recycling facility which uses the skills (and enhances them) of some local disabled people to refurbish, reformat (where viable) or trashes and extracts the valuable metals from the PCs, monitors etc.

The refurbs are donated to deserving people/organisations.

I have "deposited" around 5 old PCs and two printers to the "Computer Bank", and a couple more ready to go.

I got rid of a few old computers that I was hording for some unknown reason. Anyway, I took them to a local place that gets rid and recycles and they weighed them. I paid by weight rather than a set cost for each. I think I paid about 4000 yen.

Going to depend on the place you take it too.

There are also places that will take them off your hands for 0 yen. But unless you live closeby you will need to takyubin them and being heavy and big the cost will end up about the same or even more.

Originally Posted By: JA
Locally, there is a recycling facility which uses the skills (and enhances them) of some local disabled people to refurbish, reformat (where viable) or trashes and extracts the valuable metals from the PCs, monitors etc.

The refurbs are donated to deserving people/organisations.

I have "deposited" around 5 old PCs and two printers to the "Computer Bank", and a couple more ready to go.

We also do this with our old computers and mobile phones. The computers get refurbished and given to disable or disadvantaged people. Our phones are also distributed to the less fortunate.

I have an old guy in a little K truck who drives around the neighborhood every other week looking for junk. Most things are free for the most part and if there are charges it's pretty cheap.

You do have to be careful as some of these guys are shady and just dump the garbage out in the bush somewhere. If the cops can trace any of it back to you, you could be liable apparently. So, I have his plate number and business card and take a cell phone pic of my junk on his truck just in case.

Always wonder what happens to those old computers minus hard drives etc. Must be a lot of work involved in either resetting them up or salvaging parts. I know some people get off on all that though, seems like a nightmare to me.

Actually I found out that at my local place that does this kind of thing it costs 2940 yen for them to take an old computer monitor off you, the old bulky ones. That seems steep.