It does depend on where in Hokkaido you are as it varies greatly around the island. In central areas like Asahikawa and Obihiro daytime highs are in the mid to high 20's most days in July and August with days over 30 not uncommon. The nights are still reasonably cool though with lows in the mid teens. Areas closer to the coast will generally have slightly cooler days around the mid 20's and slightly milder nights. Days over 30 near the coast don't happen often. The far NE of the island from Kushiro up to Shiretoko have very cool summers. The cold current off the coast there produces a lot of fog and daytime highs even in the height of summer can often only be in the high teens to low 20's. Southern parts of the island can get periods of pretty high humidity but such periods don't usually last too long. Couple of weeks at most, normally less.

Last summer was for us hot though being the warmest on record. Still pretty tame compared to down south but as most houses here don't have aircon it was a bit uncomfortable.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
It does depend on where in Hokkaido you are as it varies greatly around the island. In central areas like Asahikawa and Obihiro daytime highs are in the mid to high 20's most days in July and August with days over 30 not uncommon. The nights are still reasonably cool though with lows in the mid teens. Areas closer to the coast will generally have slightly cooler days around the mid 20's and slightly milder nights. Days over 30 near the coast don't happen often. The far NE of the island from Kushiro up to Shiretoko have very cool summers. The cold current off the coast there produces a lot of fog and daytime highs even in the height of summer can often only be in the high teens to low 20's. Southern parts of the island can get periods of pretty high humidity but such periods don't usually last too long. Couple of weeks at most, normally less.
Last summer was for us hot though being the warmest on record. Still pretty tame compared to down south but as most houses here don't have aircon it was a bit uncomfortable.

High teens to lower 20's in mid summer. Sounds just about right that does.

I saw on tv last night that Hokkaido is hoping for a summer tourism boom this year as people escape the hot cities to get out to cool areas, especially as we will all be in power saving mode. Sounds like an idea to me.

• 1 month later...

I'm here just north of Asahikawa in Takasu.

It's quite warm during the days, but cool at night. It was about 31 today, and the UV rays are quite strong compared with Honshu.

I love it here. Hokkaido summers beat Gunma summers hands down!

It has been quite rainy recently though.