It is that time of the year again - a new Rugby season starts tonight (well it sort of started a while ago, but full swing is tonight) - which means I am in the kitchen cooking all day today - and serving for hours this evening.

Made a top chicken stock last night, just put the Pumpkin Soup on to simmer (using the stock), next cab off the rank will be a Spag Bol sauce - then finishing off with 4 flavours of muffins.

And I need to get this all done by 1pm so I can duck out for an hour or so to cheer my littlest bear cub on in his school game.

Has anyone else cooked for large quantities? There's gotta be a few commercial kitchens amongst the lodges, or fella's who have peeled a million spuds in the army! I used to freak out at cooking in quantity but I have slowly gathered more tools and tricks that make it easier. The newest addition has been a cook book from the Australian Institute of Sport that has recipes in 25 and 100 serve amounts. No more converting recipes! biggrin

I used to cook sometimes for up to about 10-12 people when I was back in Perth and we'd have a footy gig, or Sat/Sun afternoon thing. But nothing like 25-100 heads, crikey!

We just moved up to Sapporo and the kitchen is even smaller than our one in Ibaraki..... Even my old kitchen in my Northbridge apartment seems huge compared to my current setup. But having snow outside more than makes up for it smile

I struggle cooking for two, Mamabear! lol

Can't imagine doing that, though my mum used to do a few large scale things and she was good at it.

Sorry, not much help

Not quite 100 wink

It was week one (always a slow week), and I planned on generous serves for about 50 - possibly stretch to 60 in the main meal, but there was about 40 serves of soup and 60 muffins as well.

We sold 47 main meals - so not bad for week one.

It creates a stick around for a while feeling rather than a grab kid and bolt atmosphere. And when parents hang around and get dinner they usually buy a beer or a wine for themselves and a cool drink or two for the kids. So financially we not only made a $200 profit for the Juniors, but increased the bar sales for the Seniors as well.

Thankfully there is a roster this year - so it wont be me every week (especially considering the state my kitchen is STILL in!)

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Equipment and heavy lifting.

Yep, but that's OK Jynxx coz I got muscles (ones that hurt bad today after kick boxing this morning).

Ha!!! ... now just where do you think I have been all evening wink

Kitchen sparkle restored.

Originally Posted By: @tokyo
Kick boxing Mamabear! Scary stuff!

Scared myself today.

I had a male hold the bag, and stepped it up a notch - I must have been subconsciously not wanting to hit/kick hard for the girls... I took the skin off my knuckles inside my gloves!

LOL

Black Mountain - what a good idea! We actually have a spit roaster... Next time I am rostered on I might crank that up, add buns/gravy/coleslaw and icecream for dessert. THANK YOU biggrin

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Not sure if you'll want to get some recipies from here Mamabear

wink

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/324333/1.html
BoC,
While I am sure there is an abundance of the essential ingredient around this place - I think I will pass. lol

That's a lot Mamabear. The most I have done is about 14 and I still have nightmares about that. It actually went well but it wasn't something I would like to do often! I am used to cooking for 4 max.

Good luck!