I arrived at Shiga Kogen last year Jan 3 and it was pretty good, next year however (well later this year) I can only go from 23 December to 3 Jan and I wondered what Shige Kogen was like in general around those dates.

I was looking at yokoteyama for the first four nights then moving to Shiga Prince East after that.

Your thoughts

I went to Shiga Kogen 2 New Years ago and it was great snow. A storm moved in the 1st night we got there and didn't stop for 4 days, some of the best pow I've been in. Dates were 29th Dec until the 2nd

I went at Christmas a number of years back and it was just ok. The real snow followed just a few days before New Year. I remember Tubbys post a couple of years ago about it being mega at new year.

that early in the season is always going to be risky as to whether you get awesomeness, ok, or crud. Usually New year/early Jan is when the snow trains start to park up in the Alps......of course we'd welcome an earlier visit!! biggrin

Didn't things usually kick off mid-December rather than the more recent New Year. Perhaps rose-tinted glasses, but things do seem to generally be later than they used to be.

On the contrary,

I got the impression on from this forum that people expect that one can ski/board early in the season in Japan.

Not true. It depends on the year and the place.

Plenty of times there were not much snow before X´mas.

I´m not going to rely too much on stats, and I do think people quote a lot of stats on snow - no probs with me about that

sure, I can see general tendency (ie, snow is coming early in Europe but less snow overall, and last year France was good, this year Italy, all relative ... but I say it didn´t snow that much last season in Europe and the Base was thinner)

Originally Posted By: mina2
Didn't things usually kick off mid-December rather than the more recent New Year. Perhaps rose-tinted glasses, but things do seem to generally be later than they used to be.

I would agree with that.
In these parts anyway.

The point is peoples opinion of conditions sometimes give a more detailed picture than the statistics do. I have only seen Shiga later in the season and it looks to be super groomed and skiable on little snow however for all I know I could be completely wrong in assuming this.

The resort where I own two properties, Falls Creek in Victoria Aust is a prime example of this, many of the runs can open with 30cm of snow however the Summit area and the Maze area really need 1 metre of snow to open.

Whatever previous Christmases have been, it's basically a risk isn't it. Bordering start of the snow dumps. If you do go then... we always hope for Christmas dumps unfortunately doesn't always happen.

Are you going to go ahead with Christmas ausi?

I think we are due an earlier start this time round. grandpa

Anyway it's a better choice than lower places like Nozzle.

Still considering options, is there anywhere in Japan that really does Christmas special, it does not need to be the ski resorts, I can head up there a few days later if I have a good plan B.

I am considerng grabbing a Rail Pass for a week then heading to the mountains for New Years.