Japan Spring/Summer Plans, what's yours?

I've been to Toya before...the same time they had the G8 Summit. Beautiful area all around.

Anyone got any reccomendations on where to see the cherry blossoms? I'm probably heading to Chidorigafuchi tomorrow, but I'd like to know other good spots as well. Maybe near Mt. Fuji? Looking for something within a 2-3 hour drive. Shinjuku & Ueno just seems like there would be waaay to many people. (not bad, just not for me)

Originally Posted By: norcal
I've been to Toya before...the same time they had the G8 Summit. Beautiful area all around.

Anyone got any reccomendations on where to see the cherry blossoms? I'm probably heading to Chidorigafuchi tomorrow, but I'd like to know other good spots as well. Maybe near Mt. Fuji? Looking for something within a 2-3 hour drive. Shinjuku & Ueno just seems like there would be waaay to many people. (not bad, just not for me)

We have some pretty fine cherry blossom viewing down here in Ito although I think this is the last weekend for viewing. My band is playing a charity event tomorrow at Sakura no Sato park (around 3:00) in Izukogen part of Ito. It's a 2.5 hour drive from Tokyo and makes for a nice day trip. Here's a link to the event if you are interested.

Sakura charity event

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Okinawa hey, that has never been on my list of want to go places. Out of interest what's the appeal of going down there?

Possible Answer..Experiencing the creative and clever ways Okinawans make goya somewhat palatable. wakaranai

I feel the same GG...however, I do live in Izu which has the nice beaches, sun and surf thing covered.

Back from Okinawa now. Great little trip for not much money. Its about 25C or so there now with the sea at 22C or so. Warm enough once you're in. We got five sunny days out of six. The kids loved it.

Why go? Great sandy beaches, beautiful clean sea like Hawaii or SE Asia, and the best value accommodation in Japan, at this time of year at least. It's warm enough to camp too, which we did one night. It would have been two, but that was the day we had some rain. I'll write it up when I have some time. If you can avoid Golden Week and GW prices, its a great time to go.

View from one room we stayed in

group1dsc1739dsc17402im.jpg

Yeah, I'm also in 2 minds about Okinawa but everyone who's been there seems to love it. Could you give me/us a rough idea of prices Mr Wiggles? Cheers! smile

Ishigaki is meant to have great beaches.

But my wife is not interested in it, I think because it is not exotic for her and also it is not that cheap. Cost of getting there is similar to going to SE Asia, and once there the hotels and items cost more than SE Asia.

I went to Kumejima in Okinawa 5 or 6 years ago. Really great place! It was about 50,000Â¥ for flight and 5 nights. Restaurants and booze was significantly cheaper than prices on Honshu. Flying domestic to places in Japan is very convenient so if you have only a short vacation its much better than flying to another country.