Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

echineko, that is so sad. I do hope your other friend is found safe and well.

Hope ALL can be reunited with their friends after this difficult time, although with every day, the prospect seems to diminish.

WRT the guy who was "found", it seems hje had been at an evacuation point and had returned to his home to look for stuff.

WRT the media, I am more and more disenchanted with the sensationalist reporting in Aus. It seems that the various media outlets are vying with each other to see who can make the most outrageous "news" item. I just wish they'd STFU, and do something useful (for a change)!

Tokyo is unnaffected! The NEX is off right now due to the powere restrictions but the Skyliner into Shinjuku is running as are the local lines. I haven't been in watching the news today, I decided to get out and get away from the madness but the small snippet I saw said that 1,2 and 3 Reactors were now stablised. A month.....other than up north, he won't notice much I reckon

Originally Posted By: smostyn
Hi folks,
I have a mate who has been booked to go to Japan in May. He isn't a skier or boarder and will not even see the snow.

The media has spooked him and I have encouraged him to still go. His trip is to Tokyo for three days and then down to Kyoto for five days. He has been looking forward to the trip for over a year. The trip isnt for another month yet.

Can any of you local folks tell me is the NEX is running from Narita to Tokyo and the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto?

My theory is, if they are running now, they will be running then. He would need to change his plans in the next week in order to get money back, if he decides not to go.

Sorry to possibly hijack the thread, I couldn't think of where else to put this.

Thanks guys.

Seriously I can't see many people wanting to come to Japan in the near future. I know I wouldn't. Hundreds of shakes and everything? Alternative destinations will be found. A bit different if you have things booked up somewhere perhaps but

Choice A - a place that is being battered by earthquakes
Choice B - a place that is not

Hmmmm, give me a bit of time to think on that one.

When some of the current flee-ers come back in the coming weeks, let us know how full the planes are.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Libya seems to be getting all the headlines today.

I bet the ground is shaking over there, lol! but srsly they need to quit fighting
Originally Posted By: pie-eater

Seriously I can't see many people wanting to come to Japan in the near future. I know I wouldn't. Hundreds of shakes and everything? Alternative destinations will be found. A bit different if you have things booked up somewhere perhaps but

Choice A - a place that is being battered by earthquakes
Choice B - a place that is not

Hmmmm, give me a bit of time to think on that one.

When some of the current flee-ers come back in the coming weeks, let us know how full the planes are.

Ha! id be there in a heartbeat! smile For three years i lived on the 6th floor of an apartment complex in hamamatsu that looked like it would collapse if you looked at it a little sternly. Suffice it to say earthquakes (and particularly the tokai earthquake), were a daily feature of my time there. Hell ive even read the slightly difficult to read stop hamaoka website several times over. In fact, earthquakes are such a feature of japanese life that when i first visited the place in 2004 for a mere three weeks i was bombarded by around 5 of them (and three typhoons).

It is so weird that we have had amazing powder here yet tens of thousands of people are suffering. It breaks my heart how lucky most of us are. I pray for those families that aren't so lucky. I hope they get the help they need soon. What a terrible tragedy.

I have been out of Japan since the day before the quake.

I kind of feel lucky, but while I'm wary of going back in 6 days - really dislike quakes - I will be back.

People here though are asking me to consider not, and in the short term at least I have a feeling planes are going to be rather empty.