This sunny spell... what does it mean for the 'real' spring?

I see that Japan seems to be having a really mild sunny spell for quite a while now.

Does this mean that later on in the season will be pretty poor/cut short or does March usually bring some winter back with it?

I'm visiting mid March.

wave

Hi Scallywag.

Around these parts, March usually brings us a few snowfalls, though I don't think anything major like we had back in January. I'm sure it hasn't finished.

It would certainly help if we did get more snow, that's for sure.

We'll just have to see.

Where are you headed?

Its forecast to be 22 degrees in Tokyo and Saitama tomorrow.

Good news is that it looks like some colder weather will be moving in next week.

As muikabochi said, we wont be getting January conditions again, but if you can pick your days, I reckon there's a good chance you could get some boot-knee deep powder days at the higher resorts before April.

Last season we had a similar warm spell in the last week of Feb and then in March winter returned and we ended up with more snow in March than we got in Feb. So a warm spell now is in no way indicative of an early Spring or bad conditions in March. I'm hoping we have a repeat of last season this year. March in Niseko last year was awesome.

This year has been weird as hell in Aomori. December was the driest I have ever seen. Then January came with a vengeance; it looked like we were aiming for a record year. So far February feels like we skipped straight into March. Right now all the soft snow is gone, and even the top of the mountains is getting crusty.

You never know, a crazy storm may come in any day now dumping a meter of snow overnight, but it could as well not happen.

Isn't this unpredictability becoming the norm?

Looking at recent years, perhaps we simply can't rely on the consistent snowfall and winter conditions for months on end like we used to? (discuss haha).

Somebody visiting anywhere in Japan for a week at anytime is not guaranteed to get powder conditions - it simply isn't that consistent and predictable - I don't know about in the past. This year, January was incredible, February mostly garbage. Obviously the longer you stay and the closer to the peak months of January and February the better your chances of seeing some decent powder conditions.

Myoko reporting 80cms overnight! omg I'm planing on hitting Suginohara on Saturday, hope some more falls. Think it would be a day to stay in resort though, can't imagine that lot being very stable on top of the wet snot that was left over

Originally Posted By: griller
Good timing there Tb!

seems it wasn't! Had to hit Myoko on the head as the guy we were going with can't go now (he was driving). Big scramble to try and get a bus but all the Myoko ones were full the only decent place we could get to was Inawashiro, so we are heading up there.....hope its had some snowfall sadface